Cauliflower Doughnut thread

Options

Replies

• sseqwnp
    sseqwnp Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    ^^ variation of a donut.
    sseqwnp wrote: »
    I stand by my recipe! it was great. not sure why this keeps getting brought up. too many people have too much time on their hands, I suppose.

Just admit it's not a donut ...

variation of a donut.

'tisn't
  • mom23nuts
    mom23nuts Posts: 636 Member
    Options
    It was closed down. People got pretty heated, throwing insults back and forth about whether people should just eat a normal donut or not.

Sounds about right here lately. Everyone claiming expert opinion weighs in to bully or jab and add their 2 cents. I would have really likes sneaking that recipe into family meals as healthy ways to get a veggie based treat into my kids vs Dunkin Donuts. Guess I will stick to spinach hidden in metal loaf for a while longer.
  • enterdanger
    enterdanger Posts: 2,447 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    zyxst wrote: »
    I'll never find out how big the donuts were. The serving size was 2, but how big is each donut? I've only ever seen the mini donut pans and those are small.

I have a regular sized donut pan for baked donuts. I believe I got it at Kohls.

I found it. http://www.bedbathandbeyond.com/store/product/wilton-6-cavity-doughnut-pan/1017631802?skuId=17631802&ioid=HH000032&mcid=PS_googlepla_nonbrand_bakeware_&adpos=1o4&creative=43742625349&device=c&matchtype=&network=g&product_id=17631802&gclid=CIf0psX74cwCFZdZhgoddc4ODw

but for real. I either got it at Kohl's or AC Moore. They are right next to each other in the same shopping center.

Oh, and if you want a healthyish donut recipe, I make a mean apple cider donut.
  • actualbettycrocker
    actualbettycrocker Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    I'm convinced some people just love the drama, why else would you post in a thread that you think is an absolute mess and have no business trying it out. oyyyy.
    mweckler wrote: »
    I genuinely want to know what was in that doughnut. I'm a pastry cook and the thought of a cauliflower doughnut horrifies me.

Cauliflower, vanilla protein powder, sugar free jam, powdered peanut butter, some other things, you mush it all together and put it in a "doughnut pan"??? and bake it. At least I am not the only culinarian who was horrified at the thought of the sadness doughnut.

That's....that's not a doughnut like at all. You can't just put something in a cake doughnut pan and it's a doughnut. :|

going off your belt thread... you commented that you didn't want people being condescending when it came to someone being new at a topic. same goes for this conversation. I never told people they had to try it.. I threw out a recipe for people thinking some might want to give it a go. if you don't want to, then it's no skin off either of our backs. you don't want people talking down to you, nor do I.

Because I'm a baker. I've been baking for years. Somebody said they had a recipe for cauliflower doughnuts. I genuinely wanted to know how that would have worked.

Now that you're here I need to know what's the baking powder for? Do you notice it actually rises?
  • mweckler
    mweckler Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    What do you mean it is a mess???!!!????? :o:o

A mess!!! :o I also really want to compare the ingredients to my school's storeroom list to get a cost per portion but ugh the thought of it

I can break down the portion cost tomorrow. It will be pricey.
  • JaneSnowe
    JaneSnowe Posts: 1,283 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    I want the original thread returned. I would post my thoughts here but the other was removed almost immediately after I left a brilliantly witty comment and I'd hate to put effort into this just to see yet another cauliflower donut thread taken down :/
  • JaneSnowe
    Options
    y'all made a thread about a healthy donut recipe and then started fighting about it

for real?

Them's fightin' words!!
  • JaneSnowe
    Options
    Which leaves the question out there.....what would one sew with cauliflower doughnut thread?

It took me way too long to get this :#
  • rosecropper
    rosecropper Posts: 340 Member
    Options
    I saw "cauliflower donut" and thought it would be a version of medhu vada. Yumtastic!

Still, respect for anyone willing to MacGyver protein powder and cauliflower into a breakfast pastry substitute. Playing with food is fun.
  • sunnybeaches105
    sunnybeaches105 Posts: 2,831 Member
    Options
    What do you mean it is a mess???!!!????? :o:o

A mess!!! :o I also really want to compare the ingredients to my school's storeroom list to get a cost per portion but ugh the thought of it

I've tried countless pancake recipes with protein powder and none of them have worked out well enough to replace buttermilk pancakes made from scratch. At least according to my kids. My wife and I have tried a few others for fun, but alas, so little luck.

Oh, and this guy. http://www.amazon.com/Now-Eat-This-Italian-Italy--All/dp/0446584517/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1463530866&sr=8-1&keywords=eat+this+not+that+italian

That guy deserves his own special place in hell so that he can be force fed his own recipes for all eternity.

I'm all about substitutions that can be made to work. I just see far more "great ideas" that are "so delicious" than recipes that actually work. I don't think it's too much to ask for people to try them and give honest opinions before posting and suckering people into wasting their time and money on things that will just end up in the trash. I seriously would love to see recipes posted here that work and with honest caveats about texture and taste sacrifices.
  • AngelinaB_
    AngelinaB_ Posts: 563 Member
    Options
    AngelinaB_ wrote: »
    Who are you guys, the food police of MFP? If you don't like somebody posting a cauliflower donut recipe, move on and click away children!

Speaking of "children", I didn't see anybody name-calling until you came in?

Perhaps not name calling but a lot of childish attitude about it. Not a nice conversation about the recipe but up in arms to bring down the recipe in the name of the saintity of food.

I am waiting for MFP Mario Batali's PhD dissertation about why cauliflower pizza it's not really a pizza!

Obviously this is not a real donut, it's a treat for people who are on specific food plans. Same with cauliflower pizza, cauliflower rice etc etc... duh
  • AngelinaB_
    edited May 2016
    Options
    I'm all about substitutions that can be made to work. I just see far more "great ideas" that are "so delicious" than recipes that actually work. I don't think it's too much to ask for people to try them and give honest opinions before posting and suckering people into wasting their time and money on things that will just end up in the trash. I seriously would love to see recipes posted here that work and with honest caveats about texture and taste sacrifices.

But you haven't read this whole thread then, the OP said she tried this recipe, she liked them and that's why she wanted to share the recipe.

• vivmom2014
    vivmom2014 Posts: 1,647 Member
    Options
    jenovatrix wrote: »
    I tried googling 'cauliflower donuts' to see if I could find her exact recipe and I failed. However, I'll share this 'donut' recipe with y'all because even though I don't like eggs it sounds like it would be pretty tasty!

Cauliflower Rosemary Egg 'Donuts'

Wow, those look revolting!

• mweckler
    mweckler Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    Who are you guys, the food police of MFP? If you don't like somebody posting a cauliflower donut recipe, move on and click away children!

Perhaps not name calling but a lot of childish attitude about it. Not a nice conversation about the recipe but up in arms to bring down the recipe in the name of the saintity of food.

I am waiting for MFP Mario Batali's PhD dissertation about why cauliflower pizza it's not really a pizza!

Obviously this is not a real donut, it's a treat for people who are on specific food plans. Same with cauliflower pizza, cauliflower rice etc etc... duh

Am I the MFP Mario Batali? If so gross. I understand people needing to be on a specific diet for health reasons. But trying to pass off a cauliflower infused protein powder mixture as a doughnut is not right.
  • AngelinaB_
    edited May 2016
    Options
    Am I the MFP Mario Batali? If so gross. I understand people needing to be on a specific diet for health reasons. But trying to pass off a cauliflower infused protein powder mixture as a doughnut is not right.

Only of you know that you are not really Mario Batalli.

It's ok, they are not real donuts! (I think the real Mario Batalli knows the difference).

Now can you let people enjoy their cauliflower recipe?

P.S. Are you grossed at Mario Batalli?
  • PurringMyrrh
    PurringMyrrh Posts: 5,296 Member
    Options
    It's like when people add "...'tini" to the name of some stupid drink just because it's in a martini glass.

• actualbettycrocker
    actualbettycrocker Posts: 195 Member
    Options

Where's that food cost tho >:)