I can't control my evening snacking ):

Options
I'm fine all day, I can easily eat well and healthy then when I get home from work I have a nice healthy and filling dinner where I'm NOT hungry after but then we sit down for the evening or get in bed and watch TVs, then it all go to pot and I can't help snacking or I get the most overwhelming craving for rubbish food and I fail

All my hardworking ruined every night ):

How can I stop this???

Replies

• williammuney
    williammuney Posts: 2,895 Member
    Options
    Eat a huge chocolate bar for lunch it works for me
  • emdeesea
    emdeesea Posts: 1,823 Member
    Options
    How many calories do you take in per day (before the snacking, I mean).
  • lilmrshaynes
    lilmrshaynes Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I wish I had an answer for you, because I am in the exact same boat. I will do great all day, then after dinner and before bed I just feel like I ruin it all with snacking. I want chips or something sweet usually. It makes me so mad! I have done a lot better than what I used to be because I'm more conscious of what I'm doing, but I still slip even though I know I'm ruining everything.
  • R3b3cc4Whit
    R3b3cc4Whit Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Hi, I'm exactly the same and it's so hard to control! I have recently started having a glass of warm almond milk mixed with low cal hot chocolate at bedtime. So far so good with this.
  • amfmmama
    amfmmama Posts: 1,420 Member
    Options
    yep....this.
  • JanineFoster
    JanineFoster Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I was in the same way with my out of control evening snacking. Turns out I wasn't eating enough protein during the day. A good friend of mine put me on to the Herbalife Protein beverage mix (peach mango is my favorite). I just mix up a glass of this and at 70 caleries it gives me 15 grams of protein. Solved my problem.
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    Save some calories through out the day for some snacking in the evening or find something to keep your hands busy. I like knitting.
  • Jruzer
    Jruzer Posts: 3,501 Member
    Options
    - Find something else to do in the evenings besides sitting in front of the TV
    - Change up when and how much you eat so you've got some free calories available in the evening. I usually allot myself 1000 kcal or more to have after 10 PM.
  • mmarshall74
    mmarshall74 Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    I have the same problem and realized that TV is a trigger for my over-eating. I try to do something other than watching TV late in the evening. Years of overeating while watching TV has associated them in my brain and it's going to take a while to re-program. Increasing my fat macro during the day helped some, along with protein. Carbs are not my friend at that time of the night!
  • Gamliela
    Gamliela Posts: 2,468 Member
    Options
    I had that for years. Odd, but the solution was breakfast. I used to feel I was better off waiting to eat until lunch, then evenings would be having a large snack. With breakfast I don't have evening cravings. I was really surprised to find this out about myself. Of course, it may not apply to you at all, for all I know you are rising to eggs, waffles and bacon plus toast and still have that urge to snack at night. Anyway, all th best as you find your own solutions and your happy place. :)
  • 2011rocket3touring
    2011rocket3touring Posts: 1,346 Member
    Options
    Drop the TV watching or do it while having dinner. My wife and I will watch a show during dinner and then I'll go do something...
    ...or put a exercise bike in from of the TV.
  • DearestWinter
    DearestWinter Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    I use a convoluted process for snacking. All snacks are in cupboards. I only take out a (weighed) portion of the snack and I will log it in MFP before I put it in my mouth. (I know some advocate weighing portions in advance and putting them in baggies but I prefer the extra time it takes to weigh it each time I want it.) For some foods I end up going back to the kitchen several times. I will often set a timer or tell myself "if you're still craving it at 8pm then you can have it" or I might say "you can have this for breakfast tomorrow" or "you can eat an apple instead". Basically anything that makes snacking a nuisance and less mindless.
  • cnbbnc
    cnbbnc Posts: 1,267 Member
    Options
    I love eating at night, so I structure my calories such that I have enough for after dinner snacks.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    Before I sit down to watch TV, I get a big glass of ice water.....you can make it a little special with some lime wedges or whatever. Then I do something else (anything else) for a little bit of distraction. Knitting, solitaire, adult coloring book.....anything to keep your hands busy.
  • kissedbythesunshine
    kissedbythesunshine Posts: 416 Member
    Options
    I save my calories for night. I skip breakfast, have a small lunch or snack, then eat my calories for dinner and evening snacks. I can not eat all day and snack all night and expect to lose weight.
  • blonde20fan
    blonde20fan Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    I have that problem but I have been trying tricks that seem to help. I save 200 calories for a snack. Usually air popped popcorn and a piece of fruit. I have been going to sleep earlier and making a kitchen closed at 9pm rule (in my head). I am breaking my food in bed routine by banning food from the bedroom.
  • genpopadopolous
    genpopadopolous Posts: 411 Member
    Options
    I am/was the same way.

One thing that is kind of helping me is saving diet soda for the evenings when I REALLY want a snack- pour it over a ton of ice, and stretch while I sip it and watch tv. It gives me the sweet flavor, and the stretching seems to help with the need to be doing something mindless in front of the tv.

Plus, it feels nice!

It's still tough for me but that really seems to be helping.
  • raychl88
    raychl88 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I make myself a cup of herbal tea (or two) to have while watching TV after dinner. I know that's not the same as an actual snack to munch on, but sipping away slowly is still satisfying. Or just save yourself enough calories throughout the day to fit snacks in the evening...and portion out a reasonable amount in a separate bowl, enjoy it, and don't go back for more.
  • Shanel0916
    Shanel0916 Posts: 586 Member
    Options
    I agree with the tea thing it works sometimes, I'm with ya I look for "junk" to eat every night after dinner (and after the kids are sleep) lol.