Tuna without mayo

Options
tmperry99
tmperry99 Posts: 6 Member
Hi all I was looking for other ways to make tuna salad without mayo. Today I tried to following and it was really good: One can/pouch tuna, 2 laughing cow light Swiss wedges, fresh cracked pepper, 1/4 cup each diced carrots and diced cucumbers than I put about 3/4 of that on top of 1 1/2 cups mixed salad greens, it was really good and I wanted to share.

What does everyone else do with their tuna?

Replies

• kgirlhart
    kgirlhart Posts: 4,981 Member
    Options
    I also mix mine with laughing cow cheese. I use the garlic herb flavored wedges and sometimes the spicy pepper jack. I'll have to start adding cucumbers too. That sounds really good.
  • Michelletrk
    Michelletrk Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    I use plain greek yogurt, I sometimes add the a little bit of dry ranch dressing packet to that to add more flavor
  • mommabenefield
    mommabenefield Posts: 1,329 Member
    Options
    mustard salt and pepper is always a good combo and regular mustard has no calories
  • amphilion
    amphilion Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    I use plain greek yogurt, or plain yogurt. Add salt and Pepper and green oignons. my BF loves it. I do the same with chicken and salmon
  • rosebarnalice
    rosebarnalice Posts: 3,488 Member
    Options
    I make it with ginger/garlic paste and a little PB2 peanut butter for an asian satay twist
  • chocolate_owl
    chocolate_owl Posts: 1,695 Member
    Options
    Tuna, 0.5 tbsp olive oil, 1 tbsp dijon or grain mustard, shallots, gherkins. Serve with crackers.
  • Jplante312
    Jplante312 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I use Hummus also it tastes great. Also like eating it on tortillas.
  • Queenmunchy
    Queenmunchy Posts: 3,380 Member
    Options
    Lemon pepper marinade and fresh cracked pepper. Since I was a kid!
  • Sheri2016
    Sheri2016 Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    Today I forgot to buy more greek yogurt which is normally what I use so I used some cottage cheese instead it was pretty good.
  • tamagala
    tamagala Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    This is the recipe of a delicious vegan mayo. It's an italian recipe but if someone is interested I will translate it in english. Let me know about it.
    http://www.misya.info/2015/07/23/maionese-vegana.htm
  • illusion2269
    illusion2269 Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    When I make tuna salad, I use 2 oz of strained plain yogurt, 4 oz of low/no fat cottage cheese, 1 tbsp minced onion, 1 tsp of brown mustard, 1 tbsp of lemon juice, and 1 tsp of sriracha. It tastes good, has extra protein from the cottage cheese and yogurt, and is still low in fat and calories.

I'll often dip carrots or other veggies in it and eat it that way!
  • OldHobo
    OldHobo Posts: 647 Member
    Options
    I think it's helpful to distinguish between the kind of tuna that sells goes on sale for 49 cents a can and the "chunk lite" kind that's usually about 3 times the price. The less expensive stuff, in my humble opinion is great with mustard, mayo and relish on a tuna sandwich. The more expensive stuff works better with salad greens and other circumstances where it has to stand up for itself as just one among a number of separate ingredients.
  • tmperry99
    tmperry99 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the great ideas!
  • kimdawnhayden
    kimdawnhayden Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    I've also not drained the tuna in water and just added a smidge of mayo. The water kinda spreads it out and makes it seem like you have more. I've also added a bit of hot sauce to it before. Pretty good.
  • Vivacity63
    Vivacity63 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    mix it with salsa
  • danikat15
    danikat15 Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    I drain it and mix it with lemon pepper and then eat it on cucumber slices.
  • Spliner1969
    Spliner1969 Posts: 3,233 Member
    Options
    One word. Avocado. Take half a ripe one, mash it up and use it in place of the mayo. Tastes great and is really good for you. Canned tuna.. not so much unless you go with chunk albacore, and even then you have to watch for the added sodium. Make it like you normally do, add whatever you want, if the avocado is good and ripe it'll mash smoothly and make a great tuna salad.
  • AngryViking1970
    AngryViking1970 Posts: 2,847 Member
    Options
    kgirlhart wrote: »
    I also mix mine with laughing cow cheese. I use the garlic herb flavored wedges and sometimes the spicy pepper jack. I'll have to start adding cucumbers too. That sounds really good.

I can't ever get those Laughing Cow wedges to smush up properly in the tuna. What's your secret?
  • WindSparrow
    WindSparrow Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    One word. Avocado. Take half a ripe one, mash it up and use it in place of the mayo. Tastes great and is really good for you. Canned tuna.. not so much unless you go with chunk albacore, and even then you have to watch for the added sodium. Make it like you normally do, add whatever you want, if the avocado is good and ripe it'll mash smoothly and make a great tuna salad.

Excellent suggestion! Not enough people know about this one. To add a bit of zing, I like to add a tablespoon or two of salsa. And for me, because avocado is hard on my stomach, I use less avocado and add some plain Greek yogurt.
  • kirstinethornburg
    kirstinethornburg Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    i put hard boiled egg and scalion and walden farm mayo and dill pickel relish in my tuna sometimes