Barbells on shoulders a no-no?

Options
MonkeyMel21
MonkeyMel21 Posts: 2,388 Member
I've never heard of this before. A woman at my gym this morning was talking about her work out routine. Another lady asked if she did squats with weights and she started going on and on about how it's terrible for your back to put any weights (like a barbell with plates) on your shoulders. She even said her chiropractor made her promise never to do it. I can see an issue if you have pre-existing spine problems, but is any of this true for the general populace? I've been doing squats with the barbell for about 2 months but I'm only up to 60 lbs and only 2 to 3 times a week, I'm not too concerned about it at this point.

Replies

• jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    I've never heard of this in my life.
  • Shawshankcan
    Shawshankcan Posts: 900 Member
    Options
    Chiropractors some a lot of stupid crap.
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    I squat heavy (for me), and I have scoliosis and my chiropractor advocates the strength training.
  • singletrackmtbr
    singletrackmtbr Posts: 644 Member
    Options
    I would say it depends on if you have good form. If you're squatting properly, it shouldn't be an issue. I suppose if you were doing awkward bending in your back to stabilize the weight it could do some damage.

One thing to keep in mind is not all chiropracters have a great understanding of fitness. One who doesn't would probably not recognize that most exercises are OK if done in good form.
  • MonkeyMel21
    Options
    Ok, I didn't think this was a thing. I didn't say anything since I didn't really have anything to back it up and I was in a towel headed to the shower, haha
  • Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    Options
    You have to have adequate mobility in your thoracic spine/shoulders or you can't hold the bar properly
  • hhazzouri
    hhazzouri Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    I'm here to preach the gospel of front squats.
  • singletrackmtbr
    Options
    hhazzouri wrote: »
    I'm here to preach the gospel of front squats.

I'm all in. I love front squats and goblet squats, my absolute favorite.
  • MonkeyMel21
    Options
    tell me more about these "front" and "goblet" squats :D
  • MonkeyMel21
    Options
    Also, I'm pretty sure she wasn't just talking about squats. She was talking about any type of exercise that involves putting a weighted barbell on your shoulders being a no no for everyone.
  • singletrackmtbr
    Options
    I'll let hhazzouri speak to front squats. Here is a goblet squat:

http://www.muscleandfitness.com/workouts/leg-exercises/videos/goblet-squat
  • MonkeyMel21
    Options

Goblet goblet-squat.jpg

I incorporate these but my legs are stronger than my grip. Still, it's a nice change.

Front barbell squat Front-Squat-Female.jpg
    Very good for core, but I've never been able to get the hang of them, myself.

I would worry about my elbows with either of those (I have a pissy right elbow). But I may try them out, thank you!
  • mostein
    mostein Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure if it would cause back problems to have the weight on your shoulders but I know if I have the bar on my shoulders they do get tight. I rest the bar more on my traps, it's a nice cushiony spot.
  • singletrackmtbr
    Options
    One nice thing about front and goblet squats is you can work with less weight generally. You might be surprised how light you have to go to do good goblet squats. If grip strength is an issue, you can also use kettlebells (much more comfortable).

It's very hard to do these squats in poor form, so you have less risk of injury in my opinion.
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options
    You can always use cross-grip (I think I just made that up) for front squats.

front-squat1.jpg
  • MonkeyMel21
    Options
    One nice thing about front and goblet squats is you can work with less weight generally. You might be surprised how light you have to go to do good goblet squats. If grip strength is an issue, you can also use kettlebells (much more comfortable).

It's very hard to do these squats in poor form, so you have less risk of injury in my opinion.

They have a whole set of kettle bells at my gym, I'm going to give the goblet squat a try next time, thanks!
  • French_Peasant
    French_Peasant Posts: 1,639 Member
    Options

Goblet goblet-squat.jpg

I incorporate these but my legs are stronger than my grip. Still, it's a nice change.

Front barbell squat Front-Squat-Female.jpg
    Very good for core, but I've never been able to get the hang of them, myself.

I would worry about my elbows with either of those (I have a pissy right elbow). But I may try them out, thank you!

I love both goblet and front squats, but I have to do them, because I don't yet own a barbell. I will do a 35# DB on each shoulder, or one #35 DB for goblet squats, since my hands/wrists/arms are significantly weaker than my legs as well. Also, I've been stealing my DBs from my brother in law, and the next step up he has are the 50# weights, otherwise I would be squatting with the 40s, LOL.

Regarding back issues, I would often wake up in the morning with a sore back, but after 1) losing 25+ lbs and 2) developing strength through lifting, my back hasn't bothered me at all.
  • singletrackmtbr
    Options
    The other thing to consider if grip strength is an issue is to increase your time at the bottom of the squats and/or slow the reps way down. This will allow you to get serious work in even with lighter weight.
  • shagerty777
    shagerty777 Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    Sounds like an excuse not to squat to me! I love squats, makes me feel beastly!