Barbells on shoulders a no-no?

Options
2»

Replies

• Carlos_421
    Carlos_421 Posts: 5,132 Member
    Options
    She's a quack.
    Squats with proper form are one of the best things you can do for your back.
    (Of course, squats with awful form are the worst...)

But seriously, squat and get a new chiropractor.
  • kimdawnhayden
    kimdawnhayden Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    I have to do the arm crossover in front for front squats. I don't have the flexibility in my wrists for those. I tried Crossfit several years ago and had a trainer actually push the bar into the correct position. My wrist will never be the same. :(
  • maranarasauce93
    maranarasauce93 Posts: 293 Member
    Options
    Putting on your upper back and squatting is probably one of the best things for you. Even this guy knows it:

Don't listen to your chiropractor. She is probably a quack who messed up her back doing squats with poor form.
  • jessef593
    jessef593 Posts: 2,272 Member
    Options
    You should probably speak to acouple power lifters. I squat weekly with both front and back squats. I have a stronger back and better posture than most people I know outside of the gym. Chances are the woman was preaching some bro science that she overheard or just decided amongst herself.
  • Rob_in_MI
    Rob_in_MI Posts: 393 Member
    Options
    I've never heard of this before. A woman at my gym this morning was talking about her work out routine. Another lady asked if she did squats with weights and she started going on and on about how it's terrible for your back to put any weights (like a barbell with plates) on your shoulders. She even said her chiropractor made her promise never to do it. I can see an issue if you have pre-existing spine problems, but is any of this true for the general populace? I've been doing squats with the barbell for about 2 months but I'm only up to 60 lbs and only 2 to 3 times a week, I'm not too concerned about it at this point.

Your chiropractor should seek out a refund on his education.
  • zoeysasha37
    zoeysasha37 Posts: 7,089 Member
    Options
    I squat with the bar on my shoulders all the time. Just check your form
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options
    Sounds like she was making excuses.
  • FitPhillygirl
    FitPhillygirl Posts: 7,124 Member
    Options
    As mentioned above, as long as you are using proper form there is nothing to worry about.
  • sarahrbraun
    sarahrbraun Posts: 2,261 Member
    Options
    jessef593 wrote: »
    You should probably speak to acouple power lifters. I squat weekly with both front and back squats. I have a stronger back and better posture than most people I know outside of the gym. Chances are the woman was preaching some bro science that she overheard or just decided amongst herself.

This!! I have chiropractic issues, including misaligned hips. My chiropractor fully supports my squatting. As a matter of fact, he TOLD me to squat. The only negative thing he's said about my lifting is that I might have to stop OHP if I keep having elbow issues (I've had tendinitis 4x)
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options
    jessef593 wrote: »

This!! I have chiropractic issues, including misaligned hips. My chiropractor fully supports my squatting. As a matter of fact, he TOLD me to squat. The only negative thing he's said about my lifting is that I might have to stop OHP if I keep having elbow issues (I've had tendinitis 4x)

Just out of curiosity, how do you hold the bar? I had elbow issues until earlier this year, when I found out my full grip (thumb on opposite side of fingers) was (apparently) the cause of my elbow pain. I'm back to overhand grip and pain-free. :knockonwood:

OK, I guess that wasn't just out of curiosity.