CALLING ALL BODY BUILDERS

Options
Hello friends, I have an important question to ask all of you.

So let's say I have a friend who is 6'1" tall and weighed 170 in the beginning of last year (started off fit and lean) and his goal was to increase the size of his arms and chest, and to achieve a 6 pack by the end of the year. After a year of lifting, bulking, and cutting, he ended the year looking exactly the same as he started. He was adamant about consuming a certain amount of protein a day, keeping a low calorie count, and was consistent in all of his workouts (arms, chest, legs, abs, etc.)

What would you suggest he change? Any advice into increasing muscle size? Does anyone have any techniques that worked for them that you swear by?

Replies

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Is there a reason he can't ask himself?
  • nicole_ann114
    nicole_ann114 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Maybe cuz he doesn't have myfitnesspal?
  • jakeycork
    jakeycork Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    You can't have it all. He should of lean bulked for a year then cut if he had sufficient mass. He would of been in a better position than he is now.

People think bodybuilding is a quick fix. It's not, it takes A LOT of time and effort. Take time adding that size and lean mass. Then cut.
  • kimdawnhayden
    kimdawnhayden Posts: 298 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    http://scoobysworkshop.com/calorie-calculator/

Check out this calculator for numbers for bulking and cutting.
  • jonsmithkidd
    jonsmithkidd Posts: 1,204 Member
    Options

Good advice. He needs a reasonable calorie surplus and training regime to gain muscle, and a reasonable calorie deficit and adequate protein intake to lose fat and retain as much of the muscle he has built as possible.
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options

Good advice. He needs a reasonable calorie surplus and training regime to gain muscle, and a reasonable calorie deficit and adequate protein intake to lose fat and retain as much of the muscle he has built as possible.

this ^
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,401 MFP Moderator
    Options
    There are a lot of variables. Outside of what other suggested, how high was his body fat when he started? What is it now? What were his calorie levels? What was his training routine? Was he consistent or not consistently gaining weight? How long was his bulk? How low was his calories during his cut?
  • MityMax96
    MityMax96 Posts: 5,778 Member
    Options

So let's say I have a friend who is 6'1" tall and weighed 170 in the beginning of last year (started off fit and lean) and his goal was to increase the size of his arms and chest, and to achieve a 6 pack by the end of the year. After a year of lifting, bulking, and cutting, he ended the year looking exactly the same as he started. He was adamant about consuming a certain amount of protein a day, keeping a low calorie count, and was consistent in all of his workouts (arms, chest, legs, abs, etc.)

What would you suggest he change? Any advice into increasing muscle size? Does anyone have any techniques that worked for them that you swear by?

My opinion....I am at the same stats myself.

A couple things to look at, would be if you go for 1 year (so 12 months).
    I would advise you do 6 - 8 months of calorie surplus where you are adding ~6-8 lbs / month.
    So for 6 months that would be about 36 lbs, for 8 months 48 lbs....I might would split the baby and go 7 months for ~42 lbs.

Lifting should be heavy, looking to add weight to the bar as much as possible.
    For compound lifts.
    Isolation stuff can be done, but the emphasis should be on compounds and getting stronger.

Then after 6 or 7 months, start cutting....

But it is a slow process and 1 year is honestly a drop in the bucket for doing something like that.

Like I said I have same stats, 6'1 and 170 lbs right now.
    And man, me staying on point with my goals during a bulk (consuming enough) is very hard for me.
    Cutting down comes pretty easy, but putting on weight....is so hard.
  • MityMax96
    Options
    Other things I would wonder is some of what @psulemon listed
    As well as age and how long has he been working out?
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    There's plenty of variables at play, genetics being one huge one.

But I'd generally say this -- if I saw someone go a year without any noticeable change all I would look primarily at training stimulus.

• Tedebearduff
    Tedebearduff Posts: 1,155 Member
    Options

It's the age old, showing up everyday versus actually doing work. You need to impose a demand upon the muscles and not just do a workout.

I watch this youtube channel, the guy has helped me allot https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fI6nGuC8lsU I would say start at video 1 and go from there.

I'd also say your friend needs to invest in his own knowledge, the youtube channel will help, the guy in the videos even goes over useful books as well.

I would look at food after I looked at training, when you watch the big boys train they're dripping with sweat for a reason... cause they're putting in mad work!
  • ryry_
    ryry_ Posts: 4,966 Member
    Options
    If I had one guess the weight on the bar is the same.

Diet is the fuel, but without the adaptive stimulus (ie Progressive Overload) there are no signals to add mass to cope with the stimulus.

Bottom Line: If he wants to get bigger mooscles he needs to be eating in a manner in which his weight is slowly increasing (1/2 lb to 1 lb per week is generally recommened) and he should be running a weight training program where he is pushing himself to increase the amount of weight he is lifting as often as possible. At his height and weight, I'm guessing he should be able to make some good gains.
  • fitnessjustin01
    fitnessjustin01 Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    I am far from calling myself a body builder but I do think he needs to focus more on increasing his calorie intake, and changing up his workout routine. If he keeps doing the exact same thing his body is going to remember that and adapt.
  • Tresiel
    Tresiel Posts: 98 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    It seems as though he wants to have his cake and eat it. If he wants size then he needs to bulk and forget about abs until AFTER his bulk is done, at which point he can cut. How much size he wants to gain will determine the length of his bulk and cut (genetics will also play a role) but simply "Gain size <> Get leaner". He must pick one at a time.
  • MityMax96
    Options
    It is somewhat possible to have abs during a bulk....they just are not quite as defined....plus it helps if you have muscle underneath...
    My timeline from August '15 to May '16

This was from Aug last year, ~168 lbs.....
    b221or1c6ibo.jpg

Started my bulk Sept. last year....By end of November I was @ 184 lbs.
    n854tf0r6ts8.jpg

Sadly I didn't stay at 184 or above 180 lbs for long, in December my appetite crashed, by January I was sitting at ~175.....

This is me this month @ 170
    lgbd087rs3d9.jpg

So keeping abs is somewhat possible....with certain aspects of your physique being in place....
    But they will not be defined.

• TavistockToad
    Options
    MityMax96 wrote: »
    It is somewhat possible to have abs during a bulk....they just are not quite as defined....plus it helps if you have muscle underneath...
    My timeline from August '15 to May '16

This was from Aug last year, ~168 lbs.....
    b221or1c6ibo.jpg

Started my bulk Sept. last year....By end of November I was @ 184 lbs.
    n854tf0r6ts8.jpg

Sadly I didn't stay at 184 or above 180 lbs for long, in December my appetite crashed, by January I was sitting at ~175.....

This is me this month @ 170
    lgbd087rs3d9.jpg

So keeping abs is somewhat possible....with certain aspects of your physique being in place....
    But they will not be defined.

So glad I keep checking on this thread!!! :laugh:
  • MityMax96
    Options
    You are so bad @TavistockToad
    Look away!!!!
  • TavistockToad
    Options
    MityMax96 wrote: »
    You are so bad @TavistockToad