challenging myself to give up pop

Options

Replies

• RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    Options
    elphie754 wrote: »
    belfle wrote: »
    I wish you could share that post so I could convince my 23 y.o. daughter to stop drinking it. even if it's without backing, any motivation to stop is a good thing. she only lives off soda, barely any food. then she thinks if she switches to energy drinks, its more nutritious, I cringe every time I see a can in her hand. young and thin now but it can get you later. maybe if I tell her the acne will go away she'll be convinced.

So lying to her and sharing pseudoscience is okay because it has the outcome you desire? She is an adult. She can make her own INFORMED decisions based on actual science, not some made up fear mongering post.

Her daughter is undoubted addicted to caffeine substance in these drinks.. She will get it in time on her own. Still pretty young and hardheaded I presume just like my own daughters.

• jenniferpiotrowski0
    jenniferpiotrowski0 Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    I'm aware that reading the post and believing it is kinda foolish but to be honest I knew it was exaggerating how bad pop is but I think all media does that In order to scare you away from pop. I know its not 100 percent fact what they were saying but as long as pop is actually bad for me and I'm giving up to be healthier I think that's the main thing. It does bother me that they gave some untrue information but they did do a good job at scaring me away from it lol
  • jenniferpiotrowski0
    Options
    I never forced my brother into anything..I just told him about information I read on Facebook about pop and he said he was done with pop so he made the choice on his own. I was expecting encouragment but only feel like half of you guys gave it to me
  • doddsar127
    doddsar127 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    drink cranberry juice instead and the bitter taste of mouth cranberries will make you want to drink water

OMG i tried this! cranberry juice is HORRIBLE> (not ocean spray cranberry DRINK)

Take cranberry sipplements.. They help female intestinal health.. Also makes the digestive track more acidic so goodbye frequent blatter infections
  • Ws2016
    Ws2016 Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    Kudos to you for giving it up - for whatever reason!
  • jenniferpiotrowski0
    Options
    The cranberry juice idea I'm not sure about cuz I hate the aftertaste of it being bitter but then again it makes sense that it would make you drink more water cuz I'd have to get the taste out of my mouth lol
  • kaylajane11
    kaylajane11 Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    ...well, the weight went right back on as soon as she started them again. in fact, she put on more than the 10 she lost. my point isn't that NONE Of it was water weight - i am just saying that soda DOES impact weight a great deal.

I don't think you understand how weight loss works. No one loses 10 pounds in a week at an 800 calorie per day deficit.

Soda ONLY causes weight gain if it is putting you in a calorie surplus.
  • stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    Options
    Wait, phospheric acid is the only thing preventing us from throwing up *as* we drink soda? What is the source for this? Why would it make you vomit without this ingredient?

Oh, I know where it's from. Some stupid infographic that is exaggerating and lying by omission.

coke1.jpg
  • stevencloser
    Options
    ...well, the weight went right back on as soon as she started them again. in fact, she put on more than the 10 she lost. my point isn't that NONE Of it was water weight - i am just saying that soda DOES impact weight a great deal.

Water weight isn't a bad thing you know. It comes from glycogen stores in your liver and muscle, it's there to fuel intense workouts because it's easily metabolisable by the muscles it's stored in and efficiently keeps your blood sugar steady when you're not eating for a bit.
  • PaulaWallaDingDong
    PaulaWallaDingDong Posts: 4,641 Member
    Options
    I'm aware that reading the post and believing it is kinda foolish but to be honest I knew it was exaggerating how bad pop is but I think all media does that In order to scare you away from pop. I know its not 100 percent fact what they were saying but as long as pop is actually bad for me and I'm giving up to be healthier I think that's the main thing. It does bother me that they gave some untrue information but they did do a good job at scaring me away from it lol

How about this: if the truth isnt scary enough, there's nothing to be scared of. Instilling fear with lies to control people is not the answer. Ever. If anyone wants to quit soda, they should do it for their own reasons.
  • KetoTeacher
    KetoTeacher Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    Oh well I don't want to be misled and want the actual truth on what pop actually does to my body. That part seemed exaggerated about the sugar but the main part I was concered about was the effect is has on your liver and dehydrating your body and stuff. Ill read the links you posted

Then take a chicken bone and drop it in a serving of your soda to see exactly how it dissolves the bones. It was an old science experiment that my son did with his baby teeth, and it was shocking. Pepsi, coke and a diet soda all had the same affect on the teeth. The teeth were gone in about 10 days if I remember correctly.

• km8907
    km8907 Posts: 3,861 Member
    Options
    Despite misinformation, good choice to give up sodas. One fact about phosphoric acid in dark sodas that I always found interesting is that it's literally dangerous for dialysis patients to drink. Healthy kidneys can process additional phosphorus, but once you have kidney failure, it can't get rid of it, causing phosphorus to build up in the blood, which will cause hyperphosphatemia. Then again, many foods have phosphorus in it and your body actually needs it, but not as much as a processed diet will give you.
  • extra_medium
    extra_medium Posts: 1,525 Member
    Options
    I know..I get what your saying and agree that not everything on Facebook or internet is always true but I don't think it was my brain playing tricks on me cuz before I read the information on Facebook I remember the feeling I got in my stomach after drinking it each day. I also googled it and had pictures on there saying the same thing but it also doesn't make sense why we don't throw up after drinking highly natural sugary drinks or foods so many there's a different reason behind it and it not the sugar content that would cause throwing up. To be honest I ignored it at first but then more and more people were sharing it so actually took it more seriously after that

Giving it up for the calories is a great idea, but don't give it up because of nonsense you read on Facebook. People have been drinking billions of gallons of soda for decades, if it wasn't safe to drink or made people vomit for some nefarious reason we'd know by now.
  • PaulaWallaDingDong
    PaulaWallaDingDong Posts: 4,641 Member
    Options
    km8907 wrote: »
    Despite misinformation, good choice to give up sodas. One fact about phosphoric acid in dark sodas that I always found interesting is that it's literally dangerous for dialysis patients to drink. Healthy kidneys can process additional phosphorus, but once you have kidney failure, it can't get rid of it, causing phosphorus to build up in the blood, which will cause hyperphosphatemia. Then again, many foods have phosphorus in it and your body actually needs it, but not as much as a processed diet will give you.

This is useful information for people with bad kidneys. My kidneys are fine.
  • km8907
    Options

I think it's useful information for anyone. Everyone is healthy until they are not.
  • stevencloser
    Options

I think it's useful information for anyone. Everyone is healthy until they are not.

Avoiding peanuts isn't just good advice for people with a peanut allergy, because everyone is healthy until they're not.
  • km8907
    Options

Avoiding peanuts isn't just good advice for people with a peanut allergy, because everyone is healthy until they're not.

Don't compare apples to oranges. If you paid attention to my original post, I'm not bashing phosphorus, just that there's too much of it in processed food, leading to possible future kidney issues.