challenging myself to give up pop

Options

Replies

• jenniferpiotrowski0
    jenniferpiotrowski0 Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    Well that's Interesting.. is phosperous and phosperic acid the same thing? I mean I know the words look similar. Idk I feel like there's too much lack of information about what's actually in our food and what the words mean if we end up reading the food level. I feel like nobody can tell if something is truly good,ok or bad for you unless you get the obvious fruits and veggies from a farm or something
  • km8907
    km8907 Posts: 3,861 Member
    Options
    km8907 wrote: »
    auddii wrote: »
    Despite misinformation, good choice to give up sodas. One fact about phosphoric acid in dark sodas that I always found interesting is that it's literally dangerous for dialysis patients to drink. Healthy kidneys can process additional phosphorus, but once you have kidney failure, it can't get rid of it, causing phosphorus to build up in the blood, which will cause hyperphosphatemia. Then again, many foods have phosphorus in it and your body actually needs it, but not as much as a processed diet will give you.

This is useful information for people with bad kidneys. My kidneys are fine.

I think it's useful information for anyone. Everyone is healthy until they are not.

Avoiding peanuts isn't just good advice for people with a peanut allergy, because everyone is healthy until they're not.

Don't compare apples to oranges. If you paid attention to my original post, I'm not bashing phosphorus, just that there's too much of it in processed food, leading to possible future kidney issues.

Phosphorus doesn't cause kidney diseases, but people with kidney disease need to pay attention to their phosphorus intake.
    Peanuts don't cause peanut allergies, but people with an allergy need to pay attention to their intake.

Too much phosphorous can be toxic, not just to people with kidney disease.

So can too much water.

I never said it didn't, but you need water to live. You don't need soda.

You need phosphorus to live too.

Yep. I stated that in my original post. Thanks for playing.

I'd like to keep playing "What even is the point you're trying to make".
    Because milk has 6 times more phosphorus in it than coke. In fact, milk and cheese have more phosphorus in it than most of the processed foods listed here.

https://www.kidney.org/atoz/content/phosphorus

Also, the RDI for phosphorus is 1000 mg, equivalent to 218 oz of coke.

https://www.unc.edu/~rowlett/units/scales/dailyvalues.htm

So...

Go back and read my original post. Thanks.

Yeah, you said there's too much in processed foods.
    There ain't, which I just showed.
    The only thing in the list of high phosphorus foods on the kidney.org site that had more phosphorus than a glass of milk or a bit of cheese was a whole fast food sausage and egg breakfast.
    You'd need 200 oz of coke just to reach the RDI.
    The ADI is 4000 for adults, so 800 oz of coke EVERY DAY would be a dangerous amount of phosphorus to a healthy person.

https://www.nrv.gov.au/nutrients/phosphorus

Quote from that website. "Phosphorus that has been added to a food in the form of an additive or preservative (inorganic phosphorus) is found in foods such as fast foods, ready to eat foods, canned and bottled beverages, enhanced meats, and most processed foods."

It's not about how much is added, it's the amount that's eaten in a typical American diet, which since a lot of people eat a lot of processed foods everyday, they get more phosphorus than they need.
  • km8907
    Options
    Well that's Interesting.. is phosperous and phosperic acid the same thing? I mean I know the words look similar. Idk I feel like there's too much lack of information about what's actually in our food and what the words mean if we end up reading the food level. I feel like nobody can tell if something is truly good,ok or bad for you unless you get the obvious fruits and veggies from a farm or something

Phosphoric acid is made out of phosphorus.
  • stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    Despite misinformation, good choice to give up sodas. One fact about phosphoric acid in dark sodas that I always found interesting is that it's literally dangerous for dialysis patients to drink. Healthy kidneys can process additional phosphorus, but once you have kidney failure, it can't get rid of it, causing phosphorus to build up in the blood, which will cause hyperphosphatemia. Then again, many foods have phosphorus in it and your body actually needs it, but not as much as a processed diet will give you.

I think it's useful information for anyone. Everyone is healthy until they are not.

Avoiding peanuts isn't just good advice for people with a peanut allergy, because everyone is healthy until they're not.

Don't compare apples to oranges. If you paid attention to my original post, I'm not bashing phosphorus, just that there's too much of it in processed food, leading to possible future kidney issues.

Phosphorus doesn't cause kidney diseases, but people with kidney disease need to pay attention to their phosphorus intake.
    Peanuts don't cause peanut allergies, but people with an allergy need to pay attention to their intake.

So can too much water.

Because milk has 6 times more phosphorus in it than coke. In fact, milk and cheese have more phosphorus in it than most of the processed foods listed here.

So...

The only thing in the list of high phosphorus foods on the kidney.org site that had more phosphorus than a glass of milk or a bit of cheese was a whole fast food sausage and egg breakfast.
    The ADI is 4000 for adults, so 800 oz of coke EVERY DAY would be a dangerous amount of phosphorus to a healthy person.

Quote from that website. "Phosphorus that has been added to a food in the form of an additive or preservative (inorganic phosphorus) is found in foods such as fast foods, ready to eat foods, canned and bottled beverages, enhanced meats, and most processed foods."

It's not about how much is added, it's the amount that's eaten in a typical American diet, which since a lot of people eat a lot of processed foods everyday, they get more phosphorus than they need.

You'd need a VERY processed diet to get into dangerous amounts. And when a slice of regular ol' cheese or a glass of milk has more than a sixpack of coke ( you know, sodas, which this thread is about), I absolutely can not comprehend why you'd hark on the phosphorus so much, first talking about people with disease then backtracking and saying the high amounts (again 1/6 as much as milk) can lead to toxicity (as I pointed out you'd have to basically drink your body weight in coke to get toxicity in a healthy person).

If 7 out of 9 of the High Phosphorous foods you should replace with other stuff in the list are made out of milk, you can clearly see what is main source of phosphorous in most people's diets, and it's not coke. And that's for people WITH KIDNEY DISEASE.
  • km8907
    Options

So can too much water.

So...

You'd need a VERY processed diet to get into dangerous amounts. And when a slice of regular ol' cheese or a glass of milk has more than a sixpack of coke ( you know, sodas, which this thread is about), I absolutely can not comprehend why you'd hark on the phosphorus so much, first talking about people with disease then backtracking and saying the high amounts (again 1/6 as much as milk) can lead to toxicity (as I pointed out you'd have to basically drink your body weight in coke to get toxicity in a healthy person).

Because I worked in dialysis for a year. How desperately our nutritionist begged them to eat right, but you could always tell when they've been bad on their diet because they would gain 40 pounds of fluid in 2 days. I've watched so many people in pain and choose to stop coming to dialysis and therefore die because of unhealthy choices they've made throughout their life.
  • km8907
    Options
    Health problems later in life can easily be prevented now, and a decreased consumption of processed foods will help the odds of you not dying a slow painful death. No guarantee, but what's the harm in trying? Health isn't always just about having six pack abs.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    You seem to be assuming that the people you are talking to eat a poor diet. I'm not sure why.
  • km8907
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    You seem to be assuming that the people you are talking to eat a poor diet. I'm not sure why.

I assume nothing. I'm just stating frequently ignored facts. Why I'm being argued with is beyond me. I never said I didn't drink soda every now and than.
  • stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    Options
    Health problems later in life can easily be prevented now, and a decreased consumption of processed foods will help the odds of you not dying a slow painful death. No guarantee, but what's the harm in trying? Health isn't always just about having six pack abs.

Processed foods are not evil either. They don't make you sick any more than any other single food item will, see "drinking too much water can kill you". For your health, as has been shown time and time again, becoming a healthy body weight and bodyfat percentage is the best thing you can do, it will improve basically all health markers and severely cut down on your CVD and diabetes risk, which in turn cuts down your kidney disease risk.
    We have so many people on here who don't demonize anything and incorporate any foods they like into a healthy overall diet, including processed foods and they don't just look good with six pack abs, they have the health to show for it too that comes with not being overweight and living an active lifestyle.
  • km8907
    Options

Processed foods are not evil either. They don't make you sick any more than any other single food item will, see "drinking too much water can kill you". For your health, as has been shown time and time again, becoming a healthy body weight and bodyfat percentage is the best thing you can do, it will improve basically all health markers and severely cut down on your CVD and diabetes risk, which in turn cuts down your kidney disease risk.
    We have so many people on here who don't demonize anything and incorporate any foods they like into a healthy overall diet, including processed foods and they don't just look good with six pack abs, they have the health to show for it too that comes with not being overweight and living an active lifestyle.

I'm not demonizing anything. Moderation is fine, but for the obesity rates to be what they are, obviously not everyone has an overall healthy diet. I'm not referring to the people here, who have chosen to do something about their health.
  • lemurcat12
    Options

I assume nothing. I'm just stating frequently ignored facts. Why I'm being argued with is beyond me. I never said I didn't drink soda every now and than.

You seem to be giving advice aimed at people who eat excessive levels of phosphorus, and are suggesting that we need to reduce "processed" foods. In that a lot of the processed foods I eat happen to be dairy (cottage cheese, plain greek yogurt, cheese), perhaps they do have a phosphorus problem, as stevencloser points out, but you really have no basis to assume that any of us are in a position where we are eating excess "processed" foods, let alone an excess of such foods containing phosphorus (the definition of "processed" is so broad that to discuss them as if they all had anything in common makes no sense). Also, it seems that the sources of phosphorus are all over the place and not particularly tied to "processed" foods.

Apparently ginger ale is a low phosphorus drink.
  • lemurcat12
    Options
    Anyway, as I said upthread, I totally support OP's decision to cut out pop. I am glad I never had much attachment to sugary pop and stopped drinking it years ago (and can take or leave diet). I just don't think she was in danger due to its phosphorus content.
  • cerise_noir
    cerise_noir Posts: 5,468 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    That article is soo full of pseudoscience it's funny. Your body turns huge amount of sugar into fat within 20 minutes of ingesting it? Um ok. Your body doesn't turn anything into fat unless you are in a calorie surplus and it takes a lot longer than 20 minutes.
    *This. The misinformation in that 'article' did make me laugh, though. I pointed out the sugar turning into fat part of this article being false to a friend, and now she won't speak to me anymore. :lol:

• owensy12
    owensy12 Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    Good for you on giving up on these high sugar beverages. I try to avoid sugary drinks whenever I can, even the zero-sugar versions (because of the artificial sweeteners). Sugar is definitely the biggest reason to give these drinks up.
  • owensy12
    Options

Processed foods, as in chemically processed and made from refined ingredients, are bad and do make you fat and sick. It's not hard to find the evidence... Just take a look at the amount of obese people in the western world, and the western diet! Processed foods are usually high in sugar/HFCS, contain all sorts of artificial ingredients, can become addictive, and are often high in refined carbs. They are not healthy, and should not be consumed frequently. Yes it's hard to avoid them, but when we replace real foods with processed junk foods, we do get fat and sick. It's fact.
  • jenniferpiotrowski0
    jenniferpiotrowski0 Posts: 215 Member
    Options

Obviously pop or junk food is not exactly good for your health alone or at least that's what people and doctors will say but I've heard people say in the success stories on here that they kept thier diet the same..the cookies,pop,ice cream pizza or even ate fast food all the time within thier caloric deficit yet they were still able to loose hundreds of pounds and thier doctor told them that thier blood pressure went down,they felt in the healthiest shape of thier lives,they were no longer at risk for diabetes or anything like that when they were in trouble of thier health before counting calories and using myfitnesspal. I even watched a guys video on YouTube saying he never changed his diet..ate fast food and junk all the time but has a chisled 6 pack and healthy now. He says in his video what he did to accomplish it so I'm not so certain its the food or drink that makes you fat but my brother has a friend who cut out a couple sodas and lost weight so maybe its the amount you drink. I haven't seen any difference in my weight yet without soda yet but its only almost been 5 days. I was drinking 2-3 sodas sometimes per day sometimes every other day,sometimes no days cuz I kept it under my calorie goal. But I do feel less weighed down and less depressed which is weird cuz I didn't think pop can make you depressed. I heard its linked to depression so Idk if that's why or if its in my head
  • MindPump1
    MindPump1 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    owensy12 wrote: »

Processed foods, as in chemically processed and made from refined ingredients, are bad and do make you fat and sick. It's not hard to find the evidence... Just take a look at the amount of obese people in the western world, and the western diet! Processed foods are usually high in sugar/HFCS, contain all sorts of artificial ingredients, can become addictive, and are often high in refined carbs. They are not healthy, and should not be consumed frequently. Yes it's hard to avoid them, but when we replace real foods with processed junk foods, we do get fat and sick. It's fact.

The only thing that can make you fat is excessive calories.
    THAT is a fact.

Sure, only excessive calories will make you fat...But what happens if you eat a diet with a deficit in calories, but high in sugar? I can't see how that is long sustainable for anyone. Even if we do eat in a deficit in calories, which I doubt many people actually do, sugar is what we should be worried about. I for one, try to avoid sugar as often as I can. I may not be able to avoid processed foods all the time, but I can at least keep sugar out of my diet (except for fruit).
  • lemurcat12
    Options

I don't know what you mean by "chemically processed," but the definition of "processed foods" is extremely broad and includes many foods that are stereotypically healthful (bagged spinach, frozen vegetables, fava beans that are ready to be heated up, canned beans). Others are more "refined" (both whole grain and white pasta) but can be the basis of a very healthful meal. One staple for me if I get home late and need to cook something quickly is to make pasta (I usually use whole wheat), and while I'm doing that I add some olive oil to a pan (processed food), and then add a bunch of vegetables depending on what I have available -- asparagus, cauliflower, zucchini all work well, and I'll often add spinach (even from a bag -- more processed), plus smoked salmon (processed), maybe some olives (typically processed--we don't normally eat raw olives from a tree). I'll add the pasta and mix it around in a bowl and then finish with some feta (processed). Delicious, and almost no added sugar, despite all the processed foods I am using. I might eat some cottage cheese on the side for a bit more protein too -- again, processed food, no added sugar.
  • owensy12
    edited May 2016
    Options

I don't know what you mean by "chemically processed," but the definition of "processed foods" is extremely broad and includes many foods that are stereotypically healthful (bagged spinach, frozen vegetables, fava beans that are ready to be heated up, canned beans). Others are more "refined" (both whole grain and white pasta) but can be the basis of a very healthful meal. One staple for me if I get home late and need to cook something quickly is to make pasta (I usually use whole wheat), and while I'm doing that I add some olive oil to a pan (processed food), and then add a bunch of vegetables depending on what I have available -- asparagus, cauliflower, zucchini all work well, and I'll often add spinach (even from a bag -- more processed), plus smoked salmon (processed), maybe some olives (typically processed--we don't normally eat raw olives from a tree). I'll add the pasta and mix it around in a bowl and then finish with some feta (processed). Delicious, and almost no added sugar, despite all the processed foods I am using. I might eat some cottage cheese on the side for a bit more protein too -- again, processed food, no added sugar.

I know that processed foods is a broad term, as most foods are processed in some way, but I was referring to foods that have been chemically processed and made solely from refined ingredients and artificial substances, like preservatives, colourants, flavourings . This is what is generally considered as 'Processed Foods'.