what diets work best for you

Options
Over the past year and a half I have been over multiple diets such as Keto, IIFYM,clean eating etc. What do you think works best ??

Replies

• mom22dogs
    mom22dogs Posts: 470 Member
    Options
    What works best is the one you stick with. For me it is just cutting back calories/portion sizes.
  • Debmal77
    Debmal77 Posts: 4,770 Member
    Options
    queenliz99 wrote: »
    A calorie deficit!

This is all you need!
  • Rocknut53
    Rocknut53 Posts: 1,794 Member
    Options
    What everyone else has said. I don't call it a diet either.
  • aliciapastorlecha
    aliciapastorlecha Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    If your goal is to loose weight, you definitely need to be at a calorie deficit. The diet, I prefer to call it a lifestyle, I follow is 'If It Fits Your Macros" or IIFYM. Why?, because I can sustain this "diet" for a log time. I can fit my favorite foods in my macros so I don't go crazy because I can not eat them.
    If you are told you can not eat some food, that will make you crave it more and make you more prone to binge.
    Have you watched Layne Norton's videologs?, they are very good. Your question made me think about it.
    Feel free to add me as a friend if you like :)
  • rakowskidp
    rakowskidp Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    What works best for me? Eating at a deficit to lose weight, and eating vegetarian to keep my gut happy.
  • ericatoday
    ericatoday Posts: 454 Member
    Options
    Eating healthy. Whole grains, fresh fruit and veggies and eat junk in a minimum. Less processed food. I tell people im not on a diet i just make better food choices. But that doesnt mean i dont ever go out and get a huge burger and fries but i dont let that screw up my entire day.
  • fishshark
    fishshark Posts: 1,886 Member
    Options
    the eat everything i want in moderation diet.
  • J72FIT
    J72FIT Posts: 5,951 Member
    Options
    Over the past year and a half I have been over multiple diets such as Keto, IIFYM,clean eating etc. What do you think works best ??

The best diet is the one you can stick to. Only you know which one that is...
  • ddavenport63
    ddavenport63 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    i agree with janesnowe . thats what i do too .
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 25,215 Member
    Options
    CI<CO
  • brepd369
    brepd369 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Agree with all the above. Make sure you get enough protein and fiber to feel full as well as plenty of fruit, veggies, and water. I try to plan out my days to meet my protein and fiber goals, at least 3 servings of fruit and 3 of veggies (preferably more) and drink lots of water throughout the day. Then I can use whatever calories are leftover to satisfy any cravings I get with small portioned servings.
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options
    Track food, eat reasonably below total daily needs, move more diet.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options

Keto - that would be hell on earth for me. Would exclude a lot of the food I enjoy and hamper my cycling.

IIFYM - (the philosophy but definitely not the website) works for me but my macros and food choices are probably different to yours.

Clean eating - seems to mean something different to everyone, some definitions and exclusions are comically dumb!

For works best for me is eating foods I like, mostly high quality, varied, balanced nutritionally over time if not on the day, in the correct quantities with enough flexibility to fit in treats and eating sometimes just for pure pleasure.
  • kelseymallen
    kelseymallen Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    Strictly speaking, a caloric deficit is the most effective "diet". However, I do find that if my macros are off, I don't feel very good. If I don't get enough carbs or fats, I get pretty hangry. Likewise, if I don't get enough protein, I know I could lose muscle instead of fat. What seems to work best for me is about 45% carbs, 25% fats, and 30% protein. I'm not crazy strict about it, but I do always try to keep it within this ballpark.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    I have a few principles for my diet (the food I eat and the way I eat), but I don't follow any particular diet or "WOE".
    • I eat anything I want, but not everything at once, and not all the time.
    • Food should taste good, but not too good. No foods are off limit, but I mostly eat food I can eat to satiety. I don't bring any "foods without brakes" into my house.
    • I only eat foods I like, but what I like, has changed a bit.
    • I aim to get in a variety of foods from all food groups every day. I eat four portions of vegetables and three portions of fruit, and some nuts, every day.
    • I plan my meals. I eat four meals per day, and normally eat only at meals. All meals have at least protein, fat (preferably a naturally fatty protein source) and vegetables.

I'm in maintenance, so I just plan and log in the same spreadsheet, and weigh what I can't count.
  • jandsstevenson887
    jandsstevenson887 Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    I've lost 22lbs using MFP and just having a daily calorie deficit since January. I eat whatever I want if it fits in my daily allowance of calories. I have ice cream a couple of times a week, pizza, whatever. It is finally something I can stick with.