the real science

Options
2»

Replies

• DylsGrandma
    DylsGrandma Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    I am a former Diamond Leader / Weight Watchers Corporate Accounts Leader. About 10 years ago I lost 83 pounds at Weight Watchers. I ate from ALL your basic food groups. That being said, you still need to watch your calories and watch your portions. If you eat less than your body needs you will lose weight. Just try and make healthier choices as much as you can. I have tried all kinds of diets. I think the best diet is one that you can stick with over a period of time and own as a lifestyle change.
  • Bob314159
    Bob314159 Posts: 1,178 Member
    Options
    Calories in vs. Calories out is all that counts -- is the standard message that gets thrown at everyone and it's not true. It tells you that you that it's your fault and you lack self control. It's much more complicated. Why is it that some people stay slim and never count calories?

It's like saying a forest fire makes the trees go away cause they burn. Thats' only the secondary reason - you have to ask what caused the fire[or what caused the eating]

What about dry weather, lack of rain, lightning, a camper leaving a fire burning, etc.?

How about emotional states, food cravings, lack of nutrition knowledge, "science" that changes the rules every couple of years - don't eat eggs, only eat 3 eggs a week, only eat egg whites, eat as many eggs as you want.

I eat low carb keto, high fats, lots of cheese and eggs, minimal sugar. I have treats that satiate me - without triggering cravings e.g 72% chocolate is ok, milk chocolate cannot be within walking distance. That's what works for me. My blood levels are normal even though I still have 40 lbs to lose and I don't need any medications.

You have to do your own research and testing to find what works for you.

• SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    CICO for weight loss...macros for health and nutrition and body comp.

All these people touting TEF and the whys are of no recourse when it comes to weight loss.

It is as simple as eating less food than the body requires for it's activity.

The food you use for those CI is a personal choice. You can eat McDonalds everyday and lose weight as long as you keep your calories in lower than required....there was a teacher who did this experiment and lost weight, lowered his blood pressure and his blood labs were better.

The reason for eating is a personal thing as well but that doesn't negate the science behind CICO...

Meal timing, TEF, LCHF, Keto etc are all irrelevant....

The important thing to understand is the science behind the weight loss..and if you are ready to lose the weigh it does all click...really it does...and I am speaking from personal experience and watching others.
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    Why is TEF irrelevant?
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    SideSteel wrote: »
    Why is TEF irrelevant?

Based on anything I have read the TEF for CICO equation is.

It is relevant for satiety and the feeling of fullness which I guess can lead to a secondary relationship to weight loss but I haven't seen anything that conclusive to state TEF is that important.

*very willing to learn something new however.
  • burtisfamily7
    burtisfamily7 Posts: 44 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options

All awesome advice. But from a different perspective. It is NOT always CICO. For some of us with Thyroid disease, Lupus and other autoimmune conditions, or even just fad dieters that have lowered their metabolism. It does matter. It is important to eat smaller meals, to watch what foods we put into our bodies. I can eat at 1200-1400 a day and if i am active, more, and not lose a lb. Just cutting calories, or burning more than I eat does not work...for me and many others. But limiting carbs to under 100g for me, and upping good fat intake, keeping blood sugar steady works. Not all of us its as simple as math. It also depends on your metabolism. If you have tried fad diets and severely low calories. Have you damaged your metabolism? Many, many factors besides just CICO. I can eat 1200 cal a day of ALL junk, and put on 10 lbs vs 1200 of good healthy, non processed food and it will do the opposite.

I understand for many, it CAN be the simple math. But not for everyone. You need to find your sweet spot. For example My macros are 30% carbs (good healthy complex carbs), 40% Fat (good fat, omega 3s) and 30% Protein. This is my sweet spot. Once I upped my Good fats, My high cholesterol went down, I feel full and I have much better metal clarity and weight id pouring off! This is my spot. Every one is different. If I eat more carbs than this, NO matter what my calorie intake is, I get puffy, put on several lbs of water weight, and my intestines are sluggish. Even at a perfect 1200 cal a day. It does not matter that 1200 a day when I burn 2400 a day on average. I am not losing 2 lbs a week. Period. If I eat 1800 a day and watch my macros, I am Losing 2 lbs a week.

So its is not a one size fits all. Ive been a nurse along time, and teach Nutrition and diabetes education. I would bet money if more people threw out the calorie number and focused on macros in a way that works for them, then people would feel better, learn sustaining methods of keeping weight off and boost weight loss!

Sorry for the story :) Every one has approached this different for them and some have been successful Just doing CICO. But if that was truly the cure all for everyone, we wouldn't have SO many posters who walk the walk and talk the talk, not losing weight.....
  • burtisfamily7
    Options
    It's not truly calories in calories out. People's metabolisms differ. Processed foods are easier to chew digest, so you get more calories out of them. There are all sorts of other variables such as time of day, sleep patterns, etc. You may require more of a calorie deficit than someone else of the same sex, height and weight.

That said, calorie counting generally works. Most diets are just complicated ways to cut calories by limiting your food choices.

This. It does matter. Sleep loss raises Cortisol. Cortisol is a stress response, people that have adrenal fatigue or chronic stress have a WAY less chance of losing weight, even if CICO is on par. Metabolisms vary greatly! Different fad diets put an extreme amount of stress on the body, lack of sleep, poor food choices, genetics, childbirth, excersising too much etc etc etc All effect metabolism.
  • burtisfamily7
    Options