Too embarrassed to join the gym

Options
Most people are embarrassed to go to the gym because of their size but for me it's because I do not know how the hell to work out all the equipment.

I don't know whether I should just spend my entire time at the gym on a treadmill or mix it up with weights but then I don't know how much weights I should lift (I'm very weak) ha!

I'm worried people are going to think I'm a right idiot and I don't know really what to do in a gym.

Any tips?

Also what do you wear to the gym (FEMALE)

Any help is really appreciated

Replies

• randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options
    The people that work there should be able to show you how to use the machines.
  • MalcolmX1983
    MalcolmX1983 Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    Almost everyone felt like that at one point.
    Find a personal trainer.
    Stick with them for a month or two.
    Get them to help you with good form, a routine, and a nutrition plan.

After two months, you'll be more than confident to work on your own.

• MalcolmX1983
    MalcolmX1983 Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    If you can't afford a pt, watch some videos on YouTube.
    I recommend getting someone qualified to do a form check though.
  • aub6689
    aub6689 Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    I hear this a lot, but honestly we all look stupid at times. Each time I join a new gym (I move a lot so this happens), I have to get used to new equipment. I have awkwardly fondled machines and had to squint to read how the hell I adjust them for my height, I have scaled cable machines like a jungle gym to adjust the pulleys to lower settings and I have found that what is 30lbs on one machine, can feel incredibly different on another. I've been lifting for years and still have awkward times. I would start with dumbbells. Prepare by having a plan and having youtubed the exercises. Start with a light weight and if the reps were easy to crank out, grab the next weight up, if they were too hard, grab the next weight down.
    No one will think you are an idiot. Many people who have been lifting a while actually love to help others get into it.

I wear a tank and compression tights
  • Shawshankcan
    Shawshankcan Posts: 900 Member
    Options
    Wear what you are comfortable in to move around, and running shoes.

You can look up beginner workout programs and YouTube how to do it Or buy/borrow a book OR hire a trainer.

I suggest the first two opens, Google and books from the library. There are
    Numerous books for beginner weight training.
  • nordlead2005
    nordlead2005 Posts: 1,303 Member
    Options
    There are plenty of resources on the internet and in books. Find a plan and read it over so that you understand what you want to do in the gym. Basically, you should be prepared before you go to the gym rather than just floundering around and making stuff up after you get there. For example, if you want to do StrongLifts5x5, then read the program, read how to do the lifts properly, how to set the safeties, etc... Then, go to the gym and learn in person. You could hire a trainer to show you proper form and if you wanted you could even tell them which program you want to do and have them teach it to you.

If you know what equipment your gym has, then you can find a program that both suits your needs and works with the equipment you have available.
  • justincooper405
    justincooper405 Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    I was super embarrassed when started.... I went to bodybuilding.com for free work outs and chose a 5 day program for beginners... their plans come with tips and videos.

After a couple months of that with great results I started going to a coach / trainer for help with proper form to ensure I could start lifting heavier safely.

All in all the embarrassing period was only about a week for me I quickly felt comfortable and could see that half the people were just like me - they we were there with no experience and just wanting to get fit
  • kpeterson539
    kpeterson539 Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    Pertaining to "what do you wear"....and yes, I am a female.....it's all pretty simple. It yoga style bottoms with a tank top. As long as I have freedom to move.

I lift while I do a negligible amount of cardio. I learned the machines and free weights but getting a trainer for a short period of time. I also read A LOT and check out certain websites. Bodybuilding.com has a great video library to look at to see proper form. Also this website also has programs to follow.

Please do not worry about being weak. You are probably stronger than you think. Plus, lifting/machines will help see progress by the amount of weigh, reps, and sets you can accomplish.
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    It's ok and not funny to lift with an empty bar. If that's hard, do it. If that's easy, do it anyway. Add plates the next day. Don't bench press without a spotter. That's all I know.
  • minniestar55
    minniestar55 Posts: 346 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    Ask at the front desk of the gym if they provide an induction where a gym employee takes you around & shows you how to safely use the equipment. Most gyms I've used offer this service free to members. You can also ask is they have a program to help you put together a workout routine based on your goals, this might be free or you may have to pay extra. Or you can go to a PT in your area who can provide that service for a fee. As far as what to wear, sports bra is important; then either jogging pants or running tights, a top, & a good pair of shoes. No need to spend a fortune on the clothes, if you're in UK you can find bargains at SportsDirect. Don't ever be embarrassed to go to the gym, everyone was new once!
  • Tsartele
    Tsartele Posts: 683 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    Go workout.. life weights.. do the machines.. take a few lessons with a trainer. Check out Vanessa Blanco's videos. She is an MFP'er who teaches other women how to get started and lift weights.. she has a you tube channel https://youtu.be/28NvrEC8yQ8 . Her name on MFP is Viblanco.. she's great
  • WalkingQueen1979
    WalkingQueen1979 Posts: 119 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    Hi don't be embarrassed I was scared at first but bc of size and machines. You can do it I love it now I use mainly ellipitical bike and treadmill. Take your time and do what makes you comfortable
  • sanfromny
    sanfromny Posts: 770 Member
    Options
    Just ask the personnel that work there to give you a tour of the machines. They are happy to help demonstrate them. Trust me, they want you to do it right, they don't want to pay out a liability.
    besides most ppl in the gym are quite friendly. Whenever i see someone step on a treadmill or an elliptical and look confused I stop and show them how to get started. The gym is much friendlier than high school!
  • emdeesea
    emdeesea Posts: 1,823 Member
    Options
    You young people are afraid of everything! lol Just ask someone - that's why they work there!
  • Tweaking_Time
    Tweaking_Time Posts: 733 Member
    Options
    If you can't afford a pt, watch some videos on YouTube.
    I recommend getting someone qualified to do a form check though.

^^^this^^^

YouTube is awesome for this! In my area, many gym memberships give you a complimentary trainer for your first (or if you are lucky - first and second) visit. Ask at the desk.
  • khaleesikhaleesi
    khaleesikhaleesi Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    Maybe try a personal trainer to get you comfortable with what you're doing? Or join a class, or find a friend! I had this same problem-- crippling social anxiety, to boot!-- and I just joined the gym with a friend of mine.
  • shank35l
    shank35l Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    You are there for YOU, never them. They don't matter.

Keep telling yourself that every time you feel insecure about starting the golden path to gains.
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    What to wear - something comfortable that allows movement. I prefer spandex workout capris and UA dri-fit t-shirts.

As for lifting, just do it. No one is judging! Especially in the weight room, people are there to work on themselves, not worry about what anyone else is doing.

There are beginning weightlifting programs you can use. I personally use Stronglifts 5X5. Five exercises, not too much to learn. Only takes about 45 minutes per session, three time a week. Easy to fit into life. You can check it out at stronglifts.com. You can also download their app to help track your progress at the gym.
  • BamaRunningGirl
    BamaRunningGirl Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    I know exactly where you are coming from. My husband and I started going to the gym in November. Started out on the treadmill. Finally got someone at the gym to should us the weights. Then upgraded to free weights a couple weeks ago. It's really not as bad as you think. Just tell someone at the gym to give you a quick tutorial, that's what they are there for. Good luck!!!
  • Dawn1996r
    Dawn1996r Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I don't think I can afford a PT or even if my gym offer this. It's a very small local gym and is pretty basic as they come which is also more embaressing as I'm bound to bump into people I know.

I'm going to have a look at youtube and go from there, I know the person behind the desk will be able to give me a quick tutorial on most of the equipment.