Too embarrassed to join the gym

Options

Replies

• kpeterson539
    kpeterson539 Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    Maybe the people who you bump into that you know would be able to help you out? Maybe workout with them or ask for tips?
  • missycats2004
    missycats2004 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I joined the gym here were I live and was embarrassed to use the pool in the beginning. I thought everyone was going to be looking at me in my suit .. Hahahahaha. Well the laugh was on me. I was just one of the sheep once I walked into the pool area and now I am a fish and you can't get me out of that pool ... The same will happen with you. Once you just go in there and do it. Even if it's not exactly right you will feel right at home
  • MissusMoon
    MissusMoon Posts: 1,900 Member
    Options
    I faced the same issue. I found the nicest gal that worked there and asked her to show me. Problem solved! Don't be embarrassed!
  • mom22dogs
    mom22dogs Posts: 470 Member
    Options
    I don't get why people are so self-conscious or embarrassed to work out at the gym. If you don't know how to use a machine, ask. Nobody cares or pays attention really to what anyone else is doing.
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    Dawn1996r wrote: »
    I don't think I can afford a PT or even if my gym offer this. It's a very small local gym and is pretty basic as they come which is also more embaressing as I'm bound to bump into people I know.

I'm going to have a look at youtube and go from there, I know the person behind the desk will be able to give me a quick tutorial on most of the equipment.

well... first of all you're going to have to get over this. This mentality is going to hold you back from accomplishing your goals and it's just not a good attitude to have in life in general. Don't settle for staying in this fake "comfort zone" you've created for yourself.

No one expects you to be an expert.
    No one expects you to be perfect.
    And no one can possibly expect someone in your same shoes to know anymore than you do right here right now.

As far as machines are concerned, it's not rocket science. Matter of fact, machines should make it incredibly easy for you to use as it is generally difficult to use them wrong.

They will have some instructions on each and every machine that look like this.

2leg-extension-trainwithnicole.jpg

This tells you which muscles are being worked, how to use the machine, etc.

Now as far as free weights and machines go... START LOW! And don't freak out if something is too heavy for you. I know women experience this less than men (hurt ego), but you may think you can start with a weight that is too heavy, fail, and then feel embarrassment that you failed. Don't worry, it takes some time to know exactly what range you can lift in and where you're at strength wise. Expect it to take some time when you start and know that it will take some experimenting with lots of different weights/ranges.

For free weight you can watch a plethora of youtube videos, but i really recommend hiring a personal trainer for 1 or 2 sessions only just to show you form. It's pretty easy to hurt yourself if you've no clue what you're doing, OR doing a movement that isn't as beneficial as it could be. It's worth the investment in my opinion, because once you know, you know.

I know that it feels intimidating when you begin doing ANYTHING that you're not used to. You feel like people are watching you, judging you, etc. The truth is people don't really care about what you're doing in there. And it's unfair to put these expectations on yourself that are unrealistic.

All you have to do is go in with an open mind, willing to learn, give it a shot, and try your best. That's literally the only thing you can do if you want to improve.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    Most people are embarrassed to go to the gym because of their size but for me it's because I do not know how the hell to work out all the equipment.
    educate yourself- plenty of free options out there.
    education eliminates fear- and fear is why you are embarrassed.
    I don't know whether I should just spend my entire time at the gym on a treadmill or mix it up with weights but then I don't know how much weights I should lift (I'm very weak) ha!
    pick a goal(s)- then find training that supports your goals.
    I'm worried people are going to think I'm a right idiot and I don't know really what to do in a gym.
    so what if they do- honest question- so what if they do?
    Any tips?
    be like nike and just do it
    Also what do you wear to the gym (FEMALE)
    I find generally clothes to be a good start.
    sports bra- shoes- clothes that fit you- not to baggy- not falling off- not to tight. sweats and a tank- yoga pants- capris- whatever- TJMaxx usually has an excellent workout gear selection for budget minded folks (or people who just like to spend so budget is better)

• lindsay9898
    lindsay9898 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    All of the gyms that I have been a member of have given inductions before I was left alone in the gym for their insurance purposes as much as anything! But they ran through how to use the equipment and answered any questions I had at the time. You could also pop into the gym and say that you are thinking of joining but could you have a quick look around first (fair enough request before signing up for membership), someone would likely give you a brief tour and you could see what other women are wearing at the same time.

I understand how you feel though, I have used gyms for years but always just cardio. I have recently been finding keeping my weight down with my usual exercise and eating so one of the changes that I wanted to make was to add in some of the weights machines but was totally daunted by them and didn't use them until I got my husband to show me how!!! If he hadn't been at the gym with me then I would have had to ask the staff who I know would have been helpful.

Go for it!!! If its really bad you can leave and cancel your membership - might be worth asking if they have a cool off period when you can change your mind or allow a few taster sessions first.
  • piperdown44
    piperdown44 Posts: 958 Member
    Options
    Trial and error.
    I travel some for work and try and find a gym that has equipment I like (free weights mostly) but sometimes it probably looks like I'm fumbling around with machines because the weight I use at the home gym may not be the same with another piece of equipment.
    Like everything else in life, lifting in the gym can be trial and error. Everybody starts from the same place so don't worry about it.
    Watch some vids, get a good trainer if you can, and just go in with a plan.
  • thefuzz1290
    thefuzz1290 Posts: 777 Member
    Options
    Best thing I did when I was 18 and wanted to get in shape was hire a trainer for 2 weeks to show me what to do. I could barely afford it ($250 for 5 sessions), but it was well worth the money. Now granted, the internet isn't what it is today back in 2000 and you can find most stuff on youtube.
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options
    Your gym will show you how to use the machines. Just go.
  • monica_823
    monica_823 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    A good way to get your feet wet is to have someone - a human being - who understands you and can hold your hand and guide you...outside of the gym.

There is an app called LokaTrain where you can find private trainers in your neighborhood for as cheap as $30: you can message them and decide when and where you want to work out (park, outdoor, your home, etc). It's a great and cheap way to get started! And you have plenty to choose from: girls, guys, different ages...

• Tweaking_Time
    Tweaking_Time Posts: 733 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    I don't think I can afford a PT or even if my gym offer this. It's a very small local gym and is pretty basic as they come which is also more embaressing as I'm bound to bump into people I know.

I'm going to have a look at youtube and go from there, I know the person behind the desk will be able to give me a quick tutorial on most of the equipment.

Go to my profile pics and look at the former Fatty McFatty me and the current me. My former self felt all the trepidation you are now feeling when I first went to the gym. I swear I tried to suck in my gut the entire time I was there. The gym and calorie counting do work...18 months later I was down 75 pounds and in the best shape ever, probably since college days. I never used a trainer. You also can learn a lot just by casually observing when you are working out nearby.

Diet and exercise...do you think it will ever catch on???
  • Carlos_421
    Carlos_421 Posts: 5,132 Member
    Options
    Go in with a plan.

Do some research and find a good full body lifting program online. Look up videos on how to do each of the moves.

Print out your plan, write it down or have it in your phone.
    Go in and work the plan.

If you come to an exercise and can't remember how to do it, don't be afraid to ask someone. Most regulars at the gym are going to be excited that someone else is getting into lifting and will be more than happy to give you some pointers.
  • Therealobi1
    Therealobi1 Posts: 3,261 Member
    Options
    I have been going to classes for quite a few months now and finally did a gym induction on wed, he didn't cover every single machine but enough to get me going. I can book another induction if i need to anyway. I now feel comfortable to get cracking. Whilst we were going through the machines this lady interrupted the PT and asked if she was using the machine right. Within a few seconds she was sorted. It's really as simple as that. My gym website has all the machines listed so I can make plan of action before I go.
    I wear sports tights, sports bra and dri fit sports top. My local nike outlet has nice stuff.
    Don't worry about it just do what you need to do
    Good luck
  • Shawshankcan
    Shawshankcan Posts: 900 Member
    Options
    Btw - people in the gym aren't that scary. Couple examples that I've done.

Couple kids (probably 18, I was in my last year of university, they looked to be in their first) came into the gym looking like deer in headlights. First thing every male does in the gym is bench. Day 1 is always bench press. It's a rule of life. A number of "bros were sitting on the two benches that had bars. The third bench had no bar. The two kids were standing there, arms crossed defensively because they didn't know what to do I grabbed a bar from a different area, I put the bar on the bench and motioned for them to take it.

Second one, a couple girls came to the gym and we're trying to use the back extension machine. But they were sitting on top of the pad that is suppose to keep your legs in place. This meant that every time they extended their back, they were pushing themselves out of the machine. I asked my female friend to go help them. I didn't want them to think I was trying to hit on them.

Point being, people aren't that bad.
  • mikenunnally
    mikenunnally Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Don't get discouraged to join a gym. Alot of good advice in the previous post here. We were all newbies at some point but once you get the hang of everything you will enjoy your time there while burning those calories and getting fit. Good luck to you!
  • mappeal67
    mappeal67 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    If the gym is any good they should give you a 1 hour induction included in the membership. I had one when I joined and the guy was super helpful working out an exercise programme for me using machines and equipment and even mat work. He also encouraged me to attend the classes as they help push you a bit further.
    If they don't offer an induction there should be staff on hand to show you how to use equipment. It's in their interest to make sure you get the most out of the machines AND ensure you don't injure yourself.
  • harperlm1976
    harperlm1976 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I did hire a trainer and that was helpful but ivecslso just asked other members when I see them doing a machine ir exercise I wanted to try.
  • brdnw
    brdnw Posts: 565 Member
    Options
    I started goign to the gym when i weighed 285lbs so i can relate to not feeling like i belong.

However, there's no reason to be embarrassed, everyone is there because they identify with you, they want to improve themselves. Create training groups, do like chest/triceps together, back/biceps together and then you can group your legs & shoulders. That's 3 types of workouts to linearly go through and mix abs in every other time you go.

Google: "Back and bicep workouts" and you'll get rows, curls, assisted pullups, cable curls, preacher curls, deadlifts, other variations of rows. Pick a few of each and do say a 8-12 rep range of a weight you can't do 15 times and do 4-6 sets.

Chest tricpes: dips, incline bench/regular bench (or start with dumbbells first to get comfortable), tricep pull downs, skull crushers, flys, inside grip bench.

Legs: squats, front squats, leg extensions, hamstring curls, calf extensions. Shoudlers: military press, front raises, side raises, shrugs.

Abs: hanging leg raises, if you can't do those just bring your knees up, Ab pull downs, you can do planks if you're a beginner, but they're not very good for non-beginners in my opinion.

Running: do HIIT cardio, run really ahrd for 15-30 seconds, walk until you get your breath back (say 30-45 seconds) and repeat for 15 minutes. Do that 3-5 times a week. You'll increase your cardiovascular endurance, you'll become faster and more fit than if you just ran a regular jog.

Also watch people. I try to watch fit people at my gym all the time. It reiterates what muscles they're using when they're lifting as youc an see X muscles flex, also you can form check by seeing how their form looks and of course you can learn new excercises as they can do something you haven't tried to committed to yet.
  • thefuzz1290
    thefuzz1290 Posts: 777 Member
    Options
    ^^^^^
    What he said. Also don't be afraid to ask someone how to do something. My old gym had a power lifter that would train there (600 squat, 500 bench, 700 deadlift) and he was always helpful when I had form questions. Just don't bother anyone with headphones in or while they're in the middle of a set.