Weight Watchers and MFP

Options
13»

Replies

• dizzieblondeuk
    dizzieblondeuk Posts: 286 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    The thing with WW (and Slimming World in the UK) is that, before websites like MFP, it was almost brain-meltingly difficult to log your intake and work out the calories consumed, not even considering how on earth you calculated out protein, carb and fat intake. So these systems were shortcuts, and ways of being able to easily monitor how much you ate, by everything being converted to easy points systems.

Now though, it's as much effort to count points on these systems as it is to log your calories on MFP - and MFP doesn't charge anyone for doing this! For me, it's a no-brainer, but WW et al keep trying to push their products, trying to 'add value' with their own brand meals etc, or sticking celebrity faces on their brand to try and entice people to use a payed method, instead of any one of the multitude of free apps now available. I'm not surprised WW has declining sales - it's going to become something that people wonder why it's still going in the not-too distant future.

The one, single, advantage these groups have over online communities is the face-to-face accountability, and the physical presence of other people going through the same thing. At the start of my weight loss journey, I was lucky enough to find a free (NHS-funded) weight loss group, that had qualified nutritionists doing education sessions each week, weighing everyone and then doing a short (30 minute) exercise session to finish. It wasn't for me, long term, but for a few months, it was nice to see people every week, talk to them and celebrate everyone's loss with each other. But the forums here are a decent substitute, for me going forward. That physical group thing may be more important to other people, and it would be the one reason I'd suggest people choose these weight loss groups over doing it the free way! But, if you have money concerns, and are looking for ways to save cash, don't pay for weight loss groups, when you can do it for free.
  • megomerrett
    megomerrett Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    You're already on here. It's FREE. If it's not working, you're not doing it right.

Only obvious thing WW has over MFP on its own is the meetings. Can be good for people who prefer real life human interaction and accountability. I found the weekly meetings a bit of a bind when I did it in 2003-4. I lost weight, it helped teach me portion control and how many gazillions of calories I was taking on in just alcohol but I also started running. And kept it up. So stayed lighter.

• wizzybeth
    wizzybeth Posts: 3,573 Member
    Options
    karahm78 wrote: »
    WW has been crap since Flex Points changed over to Points Plus. I was a huge WW fan and lost baby weight after both babies, but Points Plus was so bad I walked away forever.

I totally agree. ...Flex Points was really good.
  • beckajw
    beckajw Posts: 1,738 Member
    Options
    I've done both in the past and am currently doing both. I've never been a successful calorie counter. For some reason trying to hit exactly 1300 calories causes me anxiety and if I eat 1301, it feels like a failure. I can eat 30 points though. Unlike others, I'm not eating dangerously low levels. The only reason that happens is if you are eating a lot of sugars and saturated fats, and not enough fruits and vegetables. My calories have consistently been between 1200 and 1500 since I started WW in January. Now, with the Momentum Plan, which I did in the past, I was definitely eating at a much lower calorie level (generally around 900). My eating has gotten increasingly healthier since January. I rarely eat processed foods anymore and I feel amazing. However, with that said, I wouldn't pay for WW, if I could successfully calorie count (I know it's just a mental block, but I've got to do whats good for me). I also wouldn't use MFP with WW except that I'm diabetic and need to count carbs. Also, the new WW app and website crash a lot and are really frustrating.