Moody while losing weight?? Ladies

Options

Replies

• sonyadilworth
    sonyadilworth Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I was fine the first two weeks and now I'm on an emotional rollercoaster. I've been upset for three hours as my dinner was disgusting. Its ridiculous I know I'm being ridiculous but the mood has set in. I'm hoping this settles down soon
  • btodd304
    btodd304 Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    Adc7225 wrote: »
    Are you doing low fat? I never tried the low fat thing but I did try and limit my butter usage for less than 36 hours. I noticed a real attitude difference, I was snarky and easily annoyed. I went back to using my butter and still lost weight. Not enough calories can cause some real personality issues, I know it is hard to figure calorie burn with working out and I would agree with most that eating back about 1/2 of those calories is okay. Remember food is fuel for our body and mind so even though we want to eat to lose weight it works so much better when we find that happy place where our mind and body work at their best together.

Congrats on the loss!

I dont think im doing low fat, i get 63grams a day it looks like based on my meal plan. With my training sessions i get a meal plan that is set up and it has drop down boxes to where i get to chooses and there are all sorts of things in it, i dont feel like im missing out on anything except the sweets that i was so heavily dependent on. I know there were a couple days i didnt get all my calories in but thats been every week since i started this past week just was all over the place. It did get better friday finally idk what it was but hope it doesnt come back really makes you question if its worth it.

Thanks!
  • btodd304
    Options
    I just started and am also eating about 1700 calories. Honestly, I have a terrible case of the blues and I really think it is because I am pushing myself out of my comfort zone. I am actively working to break my old patterns and unhealthy habits and I think there is a certain amount of emotional discomfort that goes along with big changes.

For me, there has always been a lot of emotional comfort in eating and I no longer have that to rely on. Instead of peanut butter and toast in the afternoon to perk me up, I am just left feeling kind of low and sad. And I have to fill that sadness in other ways - a short nap, a dance break with my kids, some time outside. I am getting better at it, but I expect that I will need to focus on finding ways to comfort myself that are not food related.

Just my two thoughts.

That deff could be, i was more of a bored eater or eater out of habit. I never ate my emotions that i felt. But i agree its an emotional journey and my mind is always telling me to do things i dont want to do. For instance i lost 5lbs one week and on my way home from my workout i thought man i should go get an ice cream cone because i lost 5lbs. I have no idea why i thought that, but i remembered reading a quote that said "Dont reward yourself with a treat, you are not a dog". So that sunk in for me and I didnt go get that ice cream cone.

Way to go on your progress thought, knowing what triggered your eating is a huge step to making sure you progress. I just try to keep myself busy with projects around the house. I have inspirational quotes all over the place, and always look at them to tell myself where i want to be. I make sure not to keep things in the house i know will be tempting. I have clothes that are hanging where i can see them that are goal clothes. I have so many things with tags on them that i bought but didnt fit into and so i keep that as motivation to keep going.
  • btodd304
    Options
    There is a lot of emotion behind losing weight, too. Never mind that your hormones are in flux, and never mind that you aren't eating all the yummy feel-good carbs that you probably were eating - but I know in my case I was pretty mad at myself for letting it get to that point and realizing just how much work it was going to be and how long it was going to take to get to a healthy weight. It's a grind - and at times it's not easy.

Also, I used to eat any time I had any emotions that were uncomfortable and when I was trying to lose weight, I had to find other outlets and other coping tools. It's a big deal, psychologically.

You're not imagining things. :)

Its nice to hear. I had alot of those feelings the first workout i had, I broke down on my way home from working out because I was so mad at myself for getting to where I was and how much work I made for myself, and just how much out of shape my body was. I only had a 20min workout the first day just to kind of see where i was with things and boy did everything just hurt after that, which made me more emotional. Last week I hit a wall in one of my workouts where my body just wasnt doing what i wanted to do. I had probably 3mins left of my workout and my body quit. I broke down in my workout and cried a little. I wanted to finish my workout and my arms were quitting on me it was super frustrating. My trainer talked me through it and I got back at it and finished my workout, so I think that on top of already feeling emotional just put me over for the week.
  • btodd304
    Options
    If I read right, you started at 300lbs. So, is it safe to say you at least cut your calories in 1/2 right out of the gate? That's a much bigger cut than like someone who was eating 2000 and went down to 1500. Maybe it was too big of a calorie drop all at one time.
    Seems like it would be stressful on your body.
    Sometimes adding even a couple of hundred calories per day can make it much more sustainable long term and easier on your hormones and mood.
    I found out, weight loss doesn't have to be torture if you have a little patience.
    Good luck to you, you are doing a great job, just don't be too hard on yourself.

It could be fair to say that. I have no idea how much i was really eating before, it was different everyday. I only ate 2 to 3 times a day. I didnt eat breakfast most days and when i did it usually was something sweet. I bet most my calories came from sweets. That could be I feel full and satisfied when eating, I now eat 5 times a day and dont feel like im missing out on anything. I talked with my trainer about how I was feeling and she didnt think it was food related. There were a couple days i went to a workout without eating yet and she feels that could contribute and said too that everybody has their days and weeks, and that if it kept on happening we would look more into it.
    Thanks for the kind words, its hard to not be hard on oneself we are our biggest critics.
  • btodd304
    Options
    incisron wrote: »
    BTW, go you! 20 lbs!

Thank you!
  • btodd304
    Options
    Orphia wrote: »
    Have you been eating your exercise calories back?

You could be under-eating if you're not eating around 50-75% of the estimated burn back.

I dont know really. I just do what my meal plan is set up for and take the advice my trainer gives me I feel like it should be calculated into my plan but i will have to ask her. Thanks for the tip.
  • btodd304
    Options
    I have to take an afternoon nap when I have a hard workout day. I bet you're just tired.

That could be, I just didnt want to do anything all week. No motivation to be at work, workout, nothing. I did just want to stay in bed. I have decided to on days i have off work to just be able to relax after a workout if I have time to try and see if that makes a difference.

Thanks for the tip
  • btodd304
    Options
    de7inhim wrote: »
    Be patient with yourself. You are doing all the right this. Be proud of this loss. Take a moment to absorb 20# is HUGE success. Are you looking at the long haul?? Find s mini goal 275?? And continue on your winning path. Can you treat yourself to a new workout toy or something small for the house that just makes you happy. Sometimes I google minions and just LAUGH!!!
    You'll figure this out! We are in this for the long haul!
    i2bum4foc565.jpeg

Thanks for the kind words. I wish i could be excited about 20lbs but for some reason i cant. Ive lost 40lbs in a month before doing an extreme diet and It still didnt phase me. I am looking at the long haul i feel like anything less than 125lbs loss doesnt matter if i dont get to 125lbs. Sounds silly i know. I have started to make smaller goals, both weight and non weight goals. When im down 30lbs I get to buy new shoes so I have that coming up here soon hopefully. I made my goal of doing 30mins straight on my elliptical at home, its not the best elliptical so doing 30mins straight on it is huge deal for me. I wish i could afford the ellipticals at the gym as i could just go to town on those, but I dont have that option right now.
  • btodd304
    Options
    RodaRose wrote: »
    btodd304 wrote: »
    llbrixon wrote: »
    Are you eating enough? Are you getting enough sleep at night?

I am following the plan my trainer gave me which should be more than enough for me. Sleep is hit or miss but lately have been sleeping pretty good, especially the days I workout with my trainer....best nights sleep

What is the plan that the trainer gave you?

Well I am allowed 1751 calories a day. I eat 5 times a day, 138g carbs, 160g protein, and 63 from fat, is where im at now. I have lots of options to choose there are drop down boxes to pick from. The drop down boxes are all specific to my meal at that time and the calories, carbs etc never change. Hopefully that makes sense.
  • btodd304
    Options
    I was fine the first two weeks and now I'm on an emotional rollercoaster. I've been upset for three hours as my dinner was disgusting. Its ridiculous I know I'm being ridiculous but the mood has set in. I'm hoping this settles down soon

I can totally relate. I too have had meals I prepped and they were not good, nor what i wanted at that time. I always have other options available incase that happens, so that i dont slip up and eat something i shouldnt. Did you try a new recipe?
  • btodd304
    Options
    hiyomi wrote: »
    I wondered the same but im staying within my meal plan that I have im at 1751 for calories and I have a certain amount of protein, fat, carb and etc that I stay within for each meal. I eat 5 times a day and drink about 150oz of water right now.

Hmm 1750 calories sounds about right and a good amount of calories to be eating...There haven't been any changes in medications you may be taking or anything? What about vitamins?

No changes in medications, but i do not take any vitamins.
  • VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    Options
    So is 1700 your daily goal, nothing extra for exercise? I think you're not eating enough in all honesty.
  • btodd304
    Options
    So is 1700 your daily goal, nothing extra for exercise? I think you're not eating enough in all honesty.

That is the daily goal, this week feeling much better. But was going to ask my trainer what she thinks and go from there. Ive heard it both ways on people recommending to add more food and then people not.
  • FromHadesWithLove
    FromHadesWithLove Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    Exercise makes me happy but I know I can get kind of grumpy when I don't eat enough.
  • Moxie42
    Moxie42 Posts: 1,400 Member
    Options
    It sounds like you might be a bit hard on yourself, if 20 and 40 lb losses don't really phase you because you're focusing on losing 125. It's easy to dwell on how frustrating it is to be overweight, to have gotten ourselves to this point, and how hard it is to come back from that, but dwelling on that just makes the entire process miserable. Think about it this way- if you gained 20 or 40 lbs would you shrug it off like it was no big deal? Probably not. So why shrug it off when you worked hard to lose those pounds?

I used to do the same thing and I struggle almost daily with not being too hard on myself. But I've been trying REALLY hard to think, "I made the decision to change and this is a GREAT thing- I should be happy and excited!" I have to remind myself constantly that losing weight and getting in shape will take time, it's not easy, and there will be times I gain weight. I will make bad decisions and I will have setbacks beyond my control. Once I started to accept that and started focusing on more positive things, and gave myself credit for my successes, I started feeling better in general, and I started to actually enjoy the process. It's the complete opposite of how I've thought about weight-loss my entire life, and it's the first time in 10 years I'm not hating the effort! I get frustrated and down but I just tell myself- "the work will pay off. Look forward to that! Be excited for that!" And trust me, I'm not the type of person that is naturally positive at all! It hasn't been easy to think positively instead of beating myself up, and sometimes I do still beat myself up, but it's gotten better and has been worth the effort!

Think of little non-scale goals too. Buying a new shirt a size smaller. Being able to enjoy a walk outside without getting breathless. Knowing that if you stick with the gym, the same exercise that used to feel like death will become easy and how amazing will that feel?!
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    I don't think it has much to do with being a woman or not. I can get crabby if I feel frustrated and not satisfied with a meal for sure (especially surrounded by people who don't care about their weight). But I'm quite sure a man in the same circumstances could get crabby too...
  • Zella_11
    Zella_11 Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    Be proud! You've worked hard to lose 20 lbs, and you deserve to feel great about it. Keep up the good work! Hope you start to feel better soon. Get good rest and have patience. Take each day as it comes. Wishing you good health! :)
  • Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    Options

That is the daily goal, this week feeling much better. But was going to ask my trainer what she thinks and go from there. Ive heard it both ways on people recommending to add more food and then people not.

If your trainer agrees with those who think you shouldn't eat back most of your exercise calories, it's time to get a new trainer.
  • HStheBusyBee
    HStheBusyBee Posts: 1,366 Member
    Options
    Sounds like although you've made great progress, maybe the plan you are following isn't for you?

I've tried a few different plans and if I wasn't enjoying them, I did not stick it at for more than a couple of months. I personally think of this as a lifestyle change and not a diet so it wouldn't be sustainable to stick with something that makes me miserable.