Moody while losing weight?? Ladies

Options

Replies

• btodd304
    btodd304 Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    Moxie42 wrote: »
    It sounds like you might be a bit hard on yourself, if 20 and 40 lb losses don't really phase you because you're focusing on losing 125. It's easy to dwell on how frustrating it is to be overweight, to have gotten ourselves to this point, and how hard it is to come back from that, but dwelling on that just makes the entire process miserable. Think about it this way- if you gained 20 or 40 lbs would you shrug it off like it was no big deal? Probably not. So why shrug it off when you worked hard to lose those pounds?

I used to do the same thing and I struggle almost daily with not being too hard on myself. But I've been trying REALLY hard to think, "I made the decision to change and this is a GREAT thing- I should be happy and excited!" I have to remind myself constantly that losing weight and getting in shape will take time, it's not easy, and there will be times I gain weight. I will make bad decisions and I will have setbacks beyond my control. Once I started to accept that and started focusing on more positive things, and gave myself credit for my successes, I started feeling better in general, and I started to actually enjoy the process. It's the complete opposite of how I've thought about weight-loss my entire life, and it's the first time in 10 years I'm not hating the effort! I get frustrated and down but I just tell myself- "the work will pay off. Look forward to that! Be excited for that!" And trust me, I'm not the type of person that is naturally positive at all! It hasn't been easy to think positively instead of beating myself up, and sometimes I do still beat myself up, but it's gotten better and has been worth the effort!

Think of little non-scale goals too. Buying a new shirt a size smaller. Being able to enjoy a walk outside without getting breathless. Knowing that if you stick with the gym, the same exercise that used to feel like death will become easy and how amazing will that feel?!

Yes I am very hard on myself and I try not to be but idk how to get out of that. I try to focus on other things but It never seems to work. Deff if it was easy then everyone would do it no problem. For me this stuff is what discourages people to not want to lose weight. I thought the other day that Im pretty sure I have cute my calories I eat at least in half if not more, I eat healthy and the right things and workout at least 5 times a week and am only down 20lbs. I feel like it should be more since I started at such a high weight but I also don't want to lose so fast that I have loose skin. So its a constant battle for me in my head that its never good enough and my mind tells me why put all this hard work in if its not paying off. That is why people go back to their old ways because its easier. I am not but the thoughts do cross my mind. I know I could be 20lbs heavier then when I started so I try to think about that instead. This week has been great I think I was just in a funk last week.

I like the shirt goal I wore a 2xl before and it was tight and now im pretty sure I could wear an xl so that would feel nice to be in a smaller shirt. Yes I have noticed that my workouts with my trainer sometimes are easier to do especially the elliptical I can almost run on that thing and feel fine, before I would of been huffing and puffing. Now I would like to say my workouts are easier but they are not, because my trainer is always switching it up and doing different things just when I get used to something we do something else. But I can do way more then I could 7 weeks ago.
  • btodd304
    Options
    Sounds like although you've made great progress, maybe the plan you are following isn't for you?

I've tried a few different plans and if I wasn't enjoying them, I did not stick it at for more than a couple of months. I personally think of this as a lifestyle change and not a diet so it wouldn't be sustainable to stick with something that makes me miserable.

I don't mind what Im doing doesn't bother me at all. I love my trainer and working out with her, I wish I could afford to workout with her everyday. Its not a diet but just a lifestyle change. Im now eating to fuel my body and don't mind the things I eat there is plenty of variety and definitely sustainable. I just wondered if hormones can get out of wack with losing weight, I thought I have heard it before so just wandered if others have had the same thing happen.
  • laur357
    laur357 Posts: 896 Member
    Options
    So, you mentioned this happened around your TOM and that you're more emotional. Hormones can be affected by your weight and body fat - for example: having a very low body fat can cause one to cease menstruation. Women can improve fertility or regulate irregular periods by losing weight if they are very heavy in some instances. Insulin response can change as a person gains or loses weight. You've already lost a little over 5% of your body weight, something that most physicians would agree can greatly benefit overall health - if losing 20 pounds can improve your cholesterol, blood pressure, etc., it can probably also impact the way your body and emotional well being is influenced by hormones.

If you're happy with what you're doing and how you're progressing, maybe keep track of your moods and see if they continue to change as your weight does? Also, things like hormonal birth control may cause different side effects at different weights.
  • btodd304
    Options
    laur357 wrote: »
    So, you mentioned this happened around your TOM and that you're more emotional. Hormones can be affected by your weight and body fat - for example: having a very low body fat can cause one to cease menstruation. Women can improve fertility or regulate irregular periods by losing weight if they are very heavy in some instances. Insulin response can change as a person gains or loses weight. You've already lost a little over 5% of your body weight, something that most physicians would agree can greatly benefit overall health - if losing 20 pounds can improve your cholesterol, blood pressure, etc., it can probably also impact the way your body and emotional well being is influenced by hormones.

If you're happy with what you're doing and how you're progressing, maybe keep track of your moods and see if they continue to change as your weight does? Also, things like hormonal birth control may cause different side effects at different weights.

Yeah it was about a week later. I usually get more emotional a week before, so they were all over the place during that time. I always thought my periods were getting shorter because I have been on the pill so long and it was phasing it out, but looking back I think its because of my weight. I feel that it was phasing out so I couldn't get pregnant while my body was the weight it was.

Im really happy with what im doing and hoping that it was just situational with the hormones, but Im feeling as I lose more weight it may happen again. Thanks for the input it is very helpful to knowing it is probably just normal.
  • WBB55
    WBB55 Posts: 4,131 Member
    Options
    My prescription: a small bowl of ice cream or a couple squares of dark chocolate. Every day. Fit the calories in. You may find a little indulgence helps the long-term blah of the battle.
  • ElizabethOakes2
    ElizabethOakes2 Posts: 1,038 Member
    Options
    How much weight have you lost so far?
    One thing my doctor mentioned to me when I told him I my already hell-periods were getting worse, and my pre-and post ms seemed be starting sooner and lasting longer as I lost weight, was that my body's hormone production hadn't figured out that I was smaller, and to expect things to even out as I reach my goal weight. Could be something similar is happening to you.
    Also, depending on how much weight you're losing and where you're starting from, this whole journey can simply be more emotional. You're changing you for the better, but change, even positive ones, aren't always easy. :)
    It sounds to me like you're doing all the right things! Just hang in there!
  • btodd304
    Options
    WBB55 wrote: »
    My prescription: a small bowl of ice cream or a couple squares of dark chocolate. Every day. Fit the calories in. You may find a little indulgence helps the long-term blah of the battle.

I do have the occasional treat a few couple dark chocolate covered almonds, but that's about it im trying to keep focused because im a sweets person and feel like if I really ate something then I might not stop.

• cerise_noir
    cerise_noir Posts: 5,468 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    Did you cut down on your fats and/or carbs? I get super moody if my fat and carb intake is far too low.
  • btodd304
    Options
    How much weight have you lost so far?
    One thing my doctor mentioned to me when I told him I my already hell-periods were getting worse, and my pre-and post ms seemed be starting sooner and lasting longer as I lost weight, was that my body's hormone production hadn't figured out that I was smaller, and to expect things to even out as I reach my goal weight. Could be something similar is happening to you.
    Also, depending on how much weight you're losing and where you're starting from, this whole journey can simply be more emotional. You're changing you for the better, but change, even positive ones, aren't always easy. :)
    It sounds to me like you're doing all the right things! Just hang in there!

I started at 300 and im down 20lbs in 6 weeks so I feel like that might be whats up with me too. Ive only had one period since starting working out and it was longer, I didn't feel any moodier then before, but time will tell in 2 weeks what happens with the next one.

Thanks for the kind words, it deff is hard but I have an awesome trainer who is always at my service if I need her.
  • Montepulciano
    Montepulciano Posts: 845 Member
    Options
    I was wondering if you used to use food as a way of coping? If so, you don't have that cushion as you seem to be changing your thought process from food as therapy to food as fuel? Change is uncomfortable can be uncomfortable. Just my two cents. Great job on the loss!
  • angpowers
    angpowers Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    Some people are affected by a lower carb intake.
    That could be it.

But wow - 20lbs in SIX weeks :o:o:o
    Thats a definite impact on your body no matter how you dice it.

It might help to allow your body to catch up. Meaning, maybe back off the working out to 3 times a week to allow your body to calm itself. Because working out hard, losing that much weight, and having low carb (in my personal experience only and what I've seen from others) can REALLY stress out your body.

I hate that your mood is crappy because youre really doing fantastic as far as the wt loss goes.

You'd be surprised though. Many people think losing weight will make them happy, and that simply is not the case.
  • Moxie42
    Moxie42 Posts: 1,400 Member
    Options
    I totally agree with you- I think sometimes it feels easier to just not even bother trying than to deal with the mental-emotional turmoil of wondering- am I doing the right thing? Is it good enough? I know that is absolutely why I've always hated trying to lose weight and why I always gave up. I think I eventually just got sick and tired of that internal debate and I decided- screw it, I know that eating healthier and working out are good for me and I feel better about myself when I'm doing those things, regardless of what the scale says and what my brain tries to tell me, and I know that doing those things will help me accomplish non-weight goals such as being able to go backpacking and do some hardcore hiking. So I try to focus on that. It's not always easy- I get nervous before weigh-in days and if I don't get the result I was hoping for, my natural reaction is to be upset and want to give up. But now I tell myself "okay yeah, that's a bummer, but you're still doing the right thing and your body will catch up- it's just being a jerk right now."

I also started taking B vitamins. They really do help give me energy, which has helped my mood in general. I get chewable ones because I cannot tolerate that scent-taste of regular vitamins- just the thought makes me nauseous.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,986 Member
    Options
    btodd304 wrote: »
    So I have tried looking up if there is any correlation with being moody and losing weight and all things on line that are suggested don't apply to me. I eat right and workout 5 times a week. I started at 300 and in 6 weeks am down to 280. I feel moody like if I were getting ready to start my cycle, I feel more emotional and cry at stupid things, get annoyed easier and just feel in a somber mood. It has been a couple weeks since my cycle, so I didn't think it was that but my cycle was much longer this time around since losing weight. Before it would be just a day long and be done, now its about 5 days long. Just wondering if others have had this problem and if its just hormones just trying to regulate to my new weight? Just not the best feeling.

1. How tall are you?
    2. How hard are you working out? Do you feel energized afterwards or do you want to crawl out the gym to your car? If you are closer to the crawling spectrum, you're not eating enough to fuel your workouts.
  • kvwalton30
    kvwalton30 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Dieting can impact serotonin (feel good chemical) levels in the brain, especially in women. You can supplement serotonin (e.g. 5-HTP) which might help you and can also have a mild appetite suppressing effect.

https://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/the-antidepressant-diet/201008/serotonin-what-it-is-and-why-its-important-weight-loss

http://drlisawatson.com/weight-loss-is-your-serotonin-in-balance
  • btodd304
    Options
    I was wondering if you used to use food as a way of coping? If so, you don't have that cushion as you seem to be changing your thought process from food as therapy to food as fuel? Change is uncomfortable can be uncomfortable. Just my two cents. Great job on the loss!

I never really thought I ate for coping but looking back I know somedays I did eat emotionally and for sure out of boredom. I often times would eat out of routine. Id come home and eat a snack while cooking dinner and then eat dinner and have dessert after dinner before bed so even if I wasn't hungry I would eat because its what I did. Thanks for the kind words.

• btodd304
    Options
    Some people are affected by a lower carb intake.
    That could be it.

But wow - 20lbs in SIX weeks :o:o:o
    Thats a definite impact on your body no matter how you dice it.

It might help to allow your body to catch up. Meaning, maybe back off the working out to 3 times a week to allow your body to calm itself. Because working out hard, losing that much weight, and having low carb (in my personal experience only and what I've seen from others) can REALLY stress out your body.

I hate that your mood is crappy because youre really doing fantastic as far as the wt loss goes.

You'd be surprised though. Many people think losing weight will make them happy, and that simply is not the case.

Im actually working out 5 times a week 3x with a trainer and twice on my own. Its not low carb per say but way lower carbs then what I was eating before changing my diet. Although I lost the 20lbs in 6 weeks I haven't lost any in the last week kind of stuck at the same but still losing inches so im not too worried about it.

Yeah I read a blog from a lady that lost a lot of weight and she mentioned that she thought that once she met her goal that, that was it and she could be stress free. But the fact was it will always be something she has to work on so that she never gets back to the weight she was. I never really thought that it will always be a battle until I read her story. I thought once I lose 125lbs all is well, but I will have to always work at it to keep it off and not get back to where I was. Thanks for your input.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,575 Member
    Options
    I was very moody while losing weight but I blame perimenopause more than the diet. I've lost weight in the past without noticing a change in mood.
  • btodd304
    Options
    Moxie42 wrote: »
    I totally agree with you- I think sometimes it feels easier to just not even bother trying than to deal with the mental-emotional turmoil of wondering- am I doing the right thing? Is it good enough? I know that is absolutely why I've always hated trying to lose weight and why I always gave up. I think I eventually just got sick and tired of that internal debate and I decided- screw it, I know that eating healthier and working out are good for me and I feel better about myself when I'm doing those things, regardless of what the scale says and what my brain tries to tell me, and I know that doing those things will help me accomplish non-weight goals such as being able to go backpacking and do some hardcore hiking. So I try to focus on that. It's not always easy- I get nervous before weigh-in days and if I don't get the result I was hoping for, my natural reaction is to be upset and want to give up. But now I tell myself "okay yeah, that's a bummer, but you're still doing the right thing and your body will catch up- it's just being a jerk right now."

I also started taking B vitamins. They really do help give me energy, which has helped my mood in general. I get chewable ones because I cannot tolerate that scent-taste of regular vitamins- just the thought makes me nauseous.

I totally get nervous before I weigh in as well because its never enough. I always want more and more. The scale hasn't moved at all this past week but I went down in inches so that's ok but still wanted to get past that 20lb mark. Ill have to look into the B vitamins I started taking Vitamin D as I never get enough sun light living where I do. I feel like when I take the Vitamin D I feel so much better too. Ill have to look at the chewables because I hate the smell and taste of vitamins as well.
  • btodd304
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    btodd304 wrote: »
    So I have tried looking up if there is any correlation with being moody and losing weight and all things on line that are suggested don't apply to me. I eat right and workout 5 times a week. I started at 300 and in 6 weeks am down to 280. I feel moody like if I were getting ready to start my cycle, I feel more emotional and cry at stupid things, get annoyed easier and just feel in a somber mood. It has been a couple weeks since my cycle, so I didn't think it was that but my cycle was much longer this time around since losing weight. Before it would be just a day long and be done, now its about 5 days long. Just wondering if others have had this problem and if its just hormones just trying to regulate to my new weight? Just not the best feeling.

1. How tall are you?
    2. How hard are you working out? Do you feel energized afterwards or do you want to crawl out the gym to your car? If you are closer to the crawling spectrum, you're not eating enough to fuel your workouts.

5'6.5", and I workout pretty hard but never crawling out of the gym afterwards I go home and do my normal things. I do try to take a nap on workout days just to relax my body and chill out but not because im so exhausted from my workouts.
  • btodd304
    Options
    kvwalton30 wrote: »
    Dieting can impact serotonin (feel good chemical) levels in the brain, especially in women. You can supplement serotonin (e.g. 5-HTP) which might help you and can also have a mild appetite suppressing effect.

https://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/the-antidepressant-diet/201008/serotonin-what-it-is-and-why-its-important-weight-loss

http://drlisawatson.com/weight-loss-is-your-serotonin-in-balance

Ill have to look into that, thanks so much.