Options
124»

Replies

• MynameisChester
    MynameisChester Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    Eating at a calorie deficit is stressful to the body
    Working out frequently is stressful to the body
    Other factors you mentioned in the thread such as getting mad at yourself for letting yourself go and crying during your workout tells me that you are stressed and overwhelmed.

But fear not. This is actually very common. When in a calorie deficit, your body naturally increases catabolic hormones such as cortisol or your hunger hormone ghrelin, and decreases anabolic hormones such as insulin, thyroid, and testosterone. Overall, the energy state at the cellular level is significantly decreased. This can manifest differently in people but irritability and moodiness seems to be common as most people can relate to the mood change when undertaking a diet .This is all a result of sustained underfeeding.

A couple things i noticed. You said you eat 5 times a day with 1751 calories. That's only about 350 calories per meal which is quite low. If that's working for you, great! I just hear people say they may "feel" better when eating 3 big meals instead of 5 smaller ones (this of course is according to your dietary preference and what you're most likely to adhere to).

7 times a week seems excessive especially if you're doing a calorie deficit. What are your workouts like? Are you doing cardio or resistance training? As you know losing weight is all about diet. It's more important at this time to do resistance training to minimize muscle loss during a calorie deficit as losing muscle will slightly decrease your BMR. Doing too much cardio combined with a deficit will also decrease your muscle mass. Your body will always wants to maintain homeostasis which can lead to adaptative theremogensis, aka your BMR shooting way down. I personally have done 3 times a week resistance training, no cardio, and have experienced better progress.

Are you also "allowing" yourself to relax. For example, i would think about work on the weekends so I felt like I was working all week with no rest.

All the factors combine can contribute to significant amount of stress in your daily life. Hope this all helps!
  • MynameisChester
    MynameisChester Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    Also good job with the 20 pounds weight loss! =)
  • btodd304
    btodd304 Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    Eating at a calorie deficit is stressful to the body
    Working out frequently is stressful to the body
    Other factors you mentioned in the thread such as getting mad at yourself for letting yourself go and crying during your workout tells me that you are stressed and overwhelmed.

But fear not. This is actually very common. When in a calorie deficit, your body naturally increases catabolic hormones such as cortisol or your hunger hormone ghrelin, and decreases anabolic hormones such as insulin, thyroid, and testosterone. Overall, the energy state at the cellular level is significantly decreased. This can manifest differently in people but irritability and moodiness seems to be common as most people can relate to the mood change when undertaking a diet .This is all a result of sustained underfeeding.

A couple things i noticed. You said you eat 5 times a day with 1751 calories. That's only about 350 calories per meal which is quite low. If that's working for you, great! I just hear people say they may "feel" better when eating 3 big meals instead of 5 smaller ones (this of course is according to your dietary preference and what you're most likely to adhere to).

7 times a week seems excessive especially if you're doing a calorie deficit. What are your workouts like? Are you doing cardio or resistance training? As you know losing weight is all about diet. It's more important at this time to do resistance training to minimize muscle loss during a calorie deficit as losing muscle will slightly decrease your BMR. Doing too much cardio combined with a deficit will also decrease your muscle mass. Your body will always wants to maintain homeostasis which can lead to adaptative theremogensis, aka your BMR shooting way down. I personally have done 3 times a week resistance training, no cardio, and have experienced better progress.

Are you also "allowing" yourself to relax. For example, i would think about work on the weekends so I felt like I was working all week with no rest.

All the factors combine can contribute to significant amount of stress in your daily life. Hope this all helps!

Glad to hear its pretty common. Yeah I feel like I like it instead of having 3 larger meals. I feel like when I did 3 meals before it wasn't working very well for me.

Only working out 5 times a week right now, 3 with trainer then 2 at home by myself, sorry if I mistyped at some other point. The workouts are a mix of cardio and weight lifting with my trainer, then at home I do cardio. Yeah on the 3 days I workout with trainer I try to get in a nap to just relax but just started doing that this week and this week has gone much better.
  • btodd304
    btodd304 Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    Also good job with the 20 pounds weight loss! =)

Thanks, im learning to realize that its kind of a big deal and should be excited about it.