Still hungry :(

Options
I'm 5'4 108ish lb & 25 years old. I maintain on 1800cal/day including a barre class and average of about 6,000 steps a day.

I still get super hungry at night on occasion though. Is this normal? I feel like 1800 calories is not many for maintenance...

Replies

• barrebelle7
    barrebelle7 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    If you're neither gaining nor losing (over a period of time, like a few months, or at minimum a few weeks), then those maintenance calories are, by definition, correct. (Of course, you could increase your activity level in order to require more, if you wish.)

If you're getting hungry, consider experimenting with the timing & composition of your eating to see whether you can find a more satisfying regimen. This is very individualized: Most everyone differs in what they find satisfying.

By "timing", I mean how many meals & snacks you eat per day, which ones are relatively larger (in calorie terms). Some people do best skipping breakfast; others are hungry all day if they don't eat a big breakfast. Some people need to save calories for an evening snack. Some are happiest with 5-6 small meals spaced through the day; others do intermittent fasting & only eat one giant meal, and there are innumerable variations in between those extremes.

By "composition", I mean what macronutrients and micronutrients you aim for (within a healthy range, of course), plus fiber. Some people feel full if they get more protein; some find fat more filling. Some people need high-volume food (usually lots of fiber-rich relatively low-cal veggies) to feel satisfied. Some people need some carbs to feel satisfied, while some say that eating more carbs just makes them crave even more carbs.

I had some problems with satiation early on in weight loss, and was able to find a routine that remedied the situation, even at the same calorie levels. For me, I need a solid breakfast with adequate protein. (This even helps me avoid night cravings, surprisingly.) I need protein throughout the day, healthy fats at each meal, and plenty of fruits & veggies. If I start to feel hungry, I have a protein snack so I don't get crazy-crave-y.

But for you, some different formula may work better. Try something new a few days. If it helps, stick with it. If it doesn't, try another variation. I hope you may be able to find an approach that will improve your satisfaction!

Thank you for taking the time to reply! I'm normally not hungry for breakfast- I wake up and force myself to eat because of the "jump start your metabolism" rule, but I'm beginning to think that's just a myth? I make a 3-400 calorie breakfast & it makes me hungrier by the time I'm done with it.

I do find that eating a lot of meat at lunch keeps me satiated for a few hours. I save most my carbs for after dinner snacks.

The 4,000 calorie binge I just had was after drinking 4 glasses of champagne. I'm also starting my period tomorrow and I know pms bumps your metabolism, but I doubt it's anywhere near a 4,000 calorie surplus :/
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,884 Member
    Options
    If you're neither gaining nor losing (over a period of time, like a few months, or at minimum a few weeks), then those maintenance calories are, by definition, correct. (Of course, you could increase your activity level in order to require more, if you wish.)

If you're getting hungry, consider experimenting with the timing & composition of your eating to see whether you can find a more satisfying regimen. This is very individualized: Most everyone differs in what they find satisfying.

By "timing", I mean how many meals & snacks you eat per day, which ones are relatively larger (in calorie terms). Some people do best skipping breakfast; others are hungry all day if they don't eat a big breakfast. Some people need to save calories for an evening snack. Some are happiest with 5-6 small meals spaced through the day; others do intermittent fasting & only eat one giant meal, and there are innumerable variations in between those extremes.

By "composition", I mean what macronutrients and micronutrients you aim for (within a healthy range, of course), plus fiber. Some people feel full if they get more protein; some find fat more filling. Some people need high-volume food (usually lots of fiber-rich relatively low-cal veggies) to feel satisfied. Some people need some carbs to feel satisfied, while some say that eating more carbs just makes them crave even more carbs.

I had some problems with satiation early on in weight loss, and was able to find a routine that remedied the situation, even at the same calorie levels. For me, I need a solid breakfast with adequate protein. (This even helps me avoid night cravings, surprisingly.) I need protein throughout the day, healthy fats at each meal, and plenty of fruits & veggies. If I start to feel hungry, I have a protein snack so I don't get crazy-crave-y.

But for you, some different formula may work better. Try something new a few days. If it helps, stick with it. If it doesn't, try another variation. I hope you may be able to find an approach that will improve your satisfaction!

Thank you for taking the time to reply! I'm normally not hungry for breakfast- I wake up and force myself to eat because of the "jump start your metabolism" rule, but I'm beginning to think that's just a myth? I make a 3-400 calorie breakfast & it makes me hungrier by the time I'm done with it.

I do find that eating a lot of meat at lunch keeps me satiated for a few hours. I save most my carbs for after dinner snacks.

The 4,000 calorie binge I just had was after drinking 4 glasses of champagne. I'm also starting my period tomorrow and I know pms bumps your metabolism, but I doubt it's anywhere near a 4,000 calorie surplus :/

I think it's a myth, too - or at most, a very negligible difference. Assuming you're doing a heavy-protein breakfast (say, around 1/3 of your daily goal, plus or minus), and you're feeling hungrier for it, it may be worth a try skipping it for a few days. What's the worst that could happen: You'll get hungrier yet (then eat a protein snack)? You'll feel fatigued before lunch (then don't keep it up)? You're certainly not going to gain a bunch of weight if you skip breakfast for a week!

Good luck!
  • bakemma
    bakemma Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    If It helps to give you an idea, I follow a pseudo- IF lifestyle. I go about 14/10 I fast for 14 hours and eat for roughly 10. I wake up around 8 and I'll have coffee at 10 am. Then I'll eat a big lunch anywhere from 12:30-2:30 depending on the given day. Then I'll have some fruit around 3-4 and again around 5-6 then I eat a big dinner at about 7-8 and another snack right around 10. I usually go to bed at 11:30-12. It works for me. If I ate a big breakfast I would be hangry all day. lol ;)
  • mburgess458
    mburgess458 Posts: 480 Member
    Options
    When do you do your exercising? I workout in the morning and get very hungry a few hours later... so I moved my food around to eat more at that time of day. If you are working out in the afternoon/evening you might just need to move your calories so that you eat more in the evening after exercising.
  • peaceout_aly
    peaceout_aly Posts: 2,018 Member
    Options
    1,800 calories is about right for maintenance. Mine is only 1,400 (and I'm 4'11 - 114 lbs.) Try cutting your meals into smaller portions and eating every 2-3 hours instead of eating three large meals every 5-6 hours. Are you working out as well?
  • bclarke1990
    bclarke1990 Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    If you're hungry at night, eat an apple or some carrot sticks. You're not going to gain weight eating an extra 50 calories every odd day, and there's no sense in laying in bed being hungry. Honestly, if you're "maintaining" and you find yourself super hungry, you may not be eating enough, OR you're not eating the right foods earlier in the day. If you have 700 calories of junk without any fiber you're going to be hungry of course :P.
  • HungryasFuark
    HungryasFuark Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    man factors can contribute to ur hunger while maintaining .. are you really maintaining ur weight every week ? how many times do u exercise ? don't just calculate ur maintenance by online formulas etc in real life everyone is very different for example calculators tell me i should maintain on 2700-2800 i'm 21 and i actually lose about 0.75 to 1 kg eating around 1800 -1900 cals plus 1 or 2 5000 cals planned free days a week which puts me far from a maintenance of 2700 -2800 lol . also water are u really drinking enough if ur workout hard with weights and cardio ur body needs more than the recommended 3 liters per day 5 liters would be great . if u are really maintaining by this number of calories every week then i would change ur meal timing and add more veggies like carrots and broccoli
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    I'm 5'4" and quite a bit heavier than you (135ish) and maintain on about 1800 calories as well. I had to relearn how to eat for my smaller self...basically high volume, moderate fat, high protein, low carb. You may have to figure out what works best for you as well. Meal timing is kind of important for me too. I like little to no breakfast so that I can relax and eat a bit for dinner and dessert. 1800 is a tricky number...I'm hungry for 2200 per day EASILY. I suggest you play around with your macronutrients and find food good for satiety.
  • pcoslady83
    pcoslady83 Posts: 55 Member
    Options

If you don't feel like eating breakfast, then just skip it. I had the same experience as you. I just decided to eat my breakfast when I feel hungry which is around 10:00 AM (instead of having breakfast at 7:30 or 8 AM). This has helped me a lot in controlling my hunger.
  • nxd10
    nxd10 Posts: 4,570 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    You're young, you'd doing a lot of exercise, and you're only eating 1800 or you're netting 1800? I ask because although I'm tall, I'm 56 and you lose of lot of maintenance calories with age. My maintenance calories are 1730. I'm set to sedentary but normally eat another 500 calories because of my steps. So I EAT 2230. And I don't do a barre class.

Did you have MFP calculate for you? And do you accurately measure your exercise using a fitbit?

On breakfast . . . I eat breakfast every day because if I don't I get really hungry and eat too much at night. That said, the National Weight Loss Registry has concluded most people who maintain eat breakfast, but it is NOT necessary if you're hitting your calorie goals.

Personally, I also get hungry at night. I eat my meals. I go for a walk after dinner for extra calories. I eat ice cream around 9 - just 1/4 cup plus nuts. And that mostly does it for me. But I'm eating more than you. And I don't think I should be.
  • nxd10
    nxd10 Posts: 4,570 Member
    Options
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    Your BMI is borderline underweight, I'm not really surprised that you're hungry.

• Heartisalonelyhunter
    Heartisalonelyhunter Posts: 786 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    I never eat breakfast. If I eat it I'm really hungry all day. If I don't I'm fine until lunchtime. I'm about your BMI and hardly ever get super hungry and eat most of my food at night.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,884 Member
    Options
    My BMI is only a jot higher than OP's - and is right for my body type, BTW - and I'm not hungry at 1800 (which is a little below maintenance, but I eat at that level most of the time in order to allow for some bigger days now & then, i.e., weekly maintenance calorie goal, more or less).

A low BMI is not necessarily a ticket to poor satiation.
  • MichelleLea122
    MichelleLea122 Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    Sounds about right. When I was 5'4'' 108lbs (I bulked up to like 117), I ate about 2,300 calorie, but I walked like 10,000 steps a day and did both weight training and cardio. In my opinion, if you are hungry don't be afraid to eat more or even gain some weight. From personal experience, I wasn't the healthiest at 108lbs. Although I'm naturally of small frame, I was probably hovering around essential body fat at that time. But at the end of the day, ignore what everyone else says and listen to your body. It's your body and you know it best. If you're genuinely hungry, then forget the numbers and eat a bit more.
  • Rajveer29
    Rajveer29 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    It happens for me as well and I can relate to this. But with time and discipline I started eating quicker meals. If you are hungry for a longer period of time and then sit to eat a mean with only some calorie restrictions, you don't feel satisfied and want to eat more and will ultimately end up binge eating. Believe me, have done that a couple of time. So have 5-6 small meals. Also give it some time to be a part of your system. But as people have pointed out, you know the best for your body and eat a bit more, but don't feel weak or hungry. Cheers !!
  • Heartisalonelyhunter
    Options
    My BMI is only a jot higher than OP's - and is right for my body type, BTW - and I'm not hungry at 1800 (which is a little below maintenance, but I eat at that level most of the time in order to allow for some bigger days now & then, i.e., weekly maintenance calorie goal, more or less).

A low BMI is not necessarily a ticket to poor satiation.

Exactly! It really annoys me when people point out that someone is at the lower end of the scale. It's rude and unnecessary.
  • Heartisalonelyhunter
    Options
    Rajveer29 wrote: »
    It happens for me as well and I can relate to this. But with time and discipline I started eating quicker meals. If you are hungry for a longer period of time and then sit to eat a mean with only some calorie restrictions, you don't feel satisfied and want to eat more and will ultimately end up binge eating. Believe me, have done that a couple of time. So have 5-6 small meals. Also give it some time to be a part of your system. But as people have pointed out, you know the best for your body and eat a bit more, but don't feel weak or hungry. Cheers !!

No, that's just how you like to eat. I only eat 2 meals a day and it works well for me.
    Also being hungry is not a huge deal although people on here act like it is. You can ignore it for a few hours, just like you can ignore being tired or horny. You don't have to act on every physical symptom immediately (and often you can't because you're at work). No one on these boards is going to die from hunger