Trying to gain more muscle and cutting down fat to look leaner and bigger

Options
2»

Replies

• MityMax96
    MityMax96 Posts: 5,778 Member
    Options
    mreichard wrote: »
    Not to hijack the thread, but why no creatine when cutting? I'm trying to lose weight and I just started sl5x5 like a month ago. Yesterday, I read that vegetarians (I am one) and guys over 50 (I'm 49) should definitely take creatine, so I bought some. Is it just because of the water retention?

It's optional.
    If you wish to take creatine, then take it.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,404 MFP Moderator
    Options
    mreichard wrote: »
    Not to hijack the thread, but why no creatine when cutting? I'm trying to lose weight and I just started sl5x5 like a month ago. Yesterday, I read that vegetarians (I am one) and guys over 50 (I'm 49) should definitely take creatine, so I bought some. Is it just because of the water retention?

From the vegans/vegetarians I know, they saw some good benefits from it, even during cuts. You don't really retain water with creatine. Not everyone is a responder to creatine, but those are generally people who tend to eat high levels of meat.
  • psuLemon
    Options
    I'm just using pre-work out atm, creatine on my days off and protein shakes. I'm now trying to monitor how much I eat.

Creatine is a saturator and shouldn't be taken on just your days off. It should be 5g daily.

I would also agree that you cut. Your body is more primed to build fat, not muscle when you are at higher body fat percentages.
  • Toysoldiers111
    Toysoldiers111 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    psulemon wrote: »
    I'm just using pre-work out atm, creatine on my days off and protein shakes. I'm now trying to monitor how much I eat.

Creatine is a saturator and shouldn't be taken on just your days off. It should be 5g daily.

I would also agree that you cut. Your body is more primed to build fat, not muscle when you are at higher body fat percentages.

I mean I use pre work out on the days I go gym which has creatine with it and I just take creatine on its own on rest days.
  • psuLemon
    Options
    psulemon wrote: »

I mean I use pre work out on the days I go gym which has creatine with it and I just take creatine on its own on rest days.

Ideally, you want 5gs a day. So if that comes from your preworkout, that is fine, as long as you are consistent
  • Toysoldiers111
    Options
    Are the machines at the gym which measure your, weight and body accurate?
  • Toysoldiers111
    edited May 2016
    Options

I look more in the 15-20% according to the picture above ^
  • psuLemon
    Options

They can be off by 6%. So not really.
  • wakamaka
    wakamaka Posts: 27 Member
    Options

Order yourself some cheap calipers from amazon or eBay if you'd like. Can be as low as $6 and may come with a measuring tape thing. Then compare your own measured to the Gyms to get 2 measured results.