Really, a sandwich?

Options
"Oh, I'll just have a sandwich at Corner Bakery..."ar1285l3seyc.jpeg

Replies

• Foodiethinking
    Foodiethinking Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    Shop-bought sandwiches/rolls are notorious for being high in calories... saying that, my ultimate home-made ones aren't much better but they're definitely more satisfying!
  • MsBuzzkillington
    MsBuzzkillington Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    Well... yeah? I mean throw cheese and mayo on there... plus the bread.
  • Dannigreen31
    Dannigreen31 Posts: 557 Member
    Options
    Shop stuff us the worse! I was looking today and a healthy sandwich was like 700. I avoid when possible. Best to make your own
  • rhsdancer5
    rhsdancer5 Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    Food from restaurants seem to be extra high in calories! I got a black bean burger the other day and when I logged it after dinner I found out it was 1,200 calories!!!!! I couldn't believe it. Now I look up stuff before I get it
  • cmtristani
    cmtristani Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    The cafeteria where I work has a dozen different sandwiches for lunch, the lowest cal one is 540, and two go over 1000... They are hard to get into my meal plan so I avoid them.
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    Yep. It's why I can't get a whole sandwich at Panera anymore. They're very high calorie.
  • sympha01
    sympha01 Posts: 942 Member
    Options
    OP, honestly I can't tell if you're expressing frustration at the sandwich (specific sandwich! you are absurd with your calorie count!) or at the process of counting calories (Sandwiches seem unexciting enough that they should not be worth worrying about calorically).

If option 1: yes, okay. Some sandwiches are cuh-razay, yo!

If option 2: Calories are not "virtue." Just because a food is more exciting doesn't make it less virtuous, and visa versa. Healthy, low calorie meals can be exercises in sadness or they can be freaking delicious and satisfying. Lots of junk food can be irresistibly seductive or it can savor of cow butts marinated in corn syrup.

One of the great things about logging your food over a long period of time is it's super educational and can teach you not only how to eat "healthier" but also how to more systematically monitor how your diet tracks with your feeling of satisfaction.
  • 20yearsyounger
    20yearsyounger Posts: 1,643 Member
    Options
    yup...they do have some other low calorie options though that taste pretty good.
  • ejbronte
    ejbronte Posts: 867 Member
    Options
    Yes, Panera disappointed me, not even necessarily because of the calories but because of the high sodium counts in so many of their dishes. The nice thing is that if you order online, you can, at leisure, customize the dish to maximize and minimize things. But, in the end, it really is more worthwhile to just make something yourself.
  • 20yearsyounger
    20yearsyounger Posts: 1,643 Member
    Options
    ejbronte wrote: »
    Yes, Panera disappointed me, not even necessarily because of the calories but because of the high sodium counts in so many of their dishes. The nice thing is that if you order online, you can, at leisure, customize the dish to maximize and minimize things. But, in the end, it really is more worthwhile to just make something yourself.

That's was my discovery too. I was all excited about finally finding low calorie meals at Panera until I investigated the sodium. I downloaded their menu and developed a go to list for Panera that fits my needs - unfortunately it's limited to the salads, a limited selection of flatbreads, and the bakery. No paninis for me which sucks :(

The Corner Bakery did have some choices (I think it was the flatbread) that worked well for me. I will have to check it out again this week as I will be staying near one while traveling.
  • ejbronte
    ejbronte Posts: 867 Member
    Options
    That's was my discovery too. I was all excited about finally finding low calorie meals at Panera until I investigated the sodium. I downloaded their menu and developed a go to list for Panera that fits my needs - unfortunately it's limited to the salads, a limited selection of flatbreads, and the bakery. No paninis for me which sucks :(

The Corner Bakery did have some choices (I think it was the flatbread) that worked well for me. I will have to check it out again this week as I will be staying near one while traveling.

Same here: basically salad. I did get one of the sandwiches down to a level I could feel comfortable with, but, really, they do seem to be defeating their own purpose.

I just Googled Corner Bakery NYC. There's one around the Flatiron Building. Maybe I'll stop in on my way to class on Tuesday and see what they look like.

• sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    "Read the label" is such a simple thing but very educational. Compulsory food labelling really makes it easier these days to manage your weight compared to a couple of decades ago.

Just bought a ham, cheese & pickle sandwich - 359 cals.
  • R_is_for_Rachel
    R_is_for_Rachel Posts: 381 Member
    Options
    Think we're luckier in the UK, most premade sandwiches are 300-too came though i have seen some bearer 600
  • Scamd83
    Scamd83 Posts: 808 Member
    Options
    Think we're luckier in the UK, most premade sandwiches are 300-too came though i have seen some bearer 600

Yeah, most of the sandwiches I have looked at on my travels are usually about 300-400 calories.

On a similar theme, I used to work in the kitchen at a JD Wetherspoon restaurant and one of the more popular breakfasts on offer has over 1000 calories and another has over 2000.
  • vivmom2014
    vivmom2014 Posts: 1,647 Member
    Options
    That's a lot of calories, but like someone else said even homemade sandwiches add up fast. For this reason, I don't eat sandwiches all that often. (Though I love them!)
  • sylkates
    sylkates Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    MissusMoon wrote: »
    malibu927 wrote: »
    Yep. It's why I can't get a whole sandwich at Panera anymore. They're very high calorie.

Me too! I can treat myself to steak and wine for the same calories for a whole sandwich there!! Some of the half sandwiches are really high, too. Panera is exhibit A that "eating clean" doesn't necessarily equal weight loss.

I miss Panera. I just don't go there anymore since I started counting. Part of it is the temptation of the treats. It's cheaper to make your own sandwiches at home, anyway.