Really, a sandwich?

Options

Replies

• Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    ding30180 wrote: »
    In the US, cheese is on ALL sandwiches, a concept that I don't really understand, especially since almost all of the cheese readily available in America is utterly, utterly tasteless, and resembles nothing more than a semi-solid form of creamy milk.

First, this is not true.

Second, it's perfectly possible to get a sandwich with good cheese, and the idea that almost all the cheese readily available in the US is tasteless is just odd. We have many good local cheeses and the ability to buy cheeses from around the world even if there were something inherently inferior about cheese made in the US.

I think it's mostly because most sandwich shops use pretty bland cheese on sandwiches, in my experience (like American cheese, baby Swiss or provolone, or mild cheddar when you're lucky).

I can find very good cheese but it's usually expensive and stores just don't put over $5 worth of cheese in their sandwiches.

• amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    sympha01 wrote: »
    rainbowbow wrote: »
    Are you suprised by this?

Oh, i'm vegetarian, i'll just have a sandwich...

ridiculous.jpg

No, not surprised at all. In fact I'm more surprised at the number of people who equate vegetarianism with lower calorie diets. I mean, it can be done of course, but with my protein goals getting enough protein on a vegetarian diet would require me to eat a lot more calories than I do. As it is, any meal I eat that's got cheese or tofu tends to be pretty high calorie. Beans are often sneaky calorie smugglers. Put a big hunk of avocado on a sandwich and BAM calorie bomb. (Delicious, but a calorie bomb).

EXACTLY! My diet is largely plant based and I keep getting comments like "how did you gain weight when you rarely eat meat?" Really??

My favorite falafel sandwich is 100% vegetarian (and vegan actually) and has 550 calories for a SMALL. A medium clocks at 800 something, and a "supreme" has fried eggplant and potatoes (in addition to the usual tahini based salad) and goes well beyond 1000 calories. Tell me again how vegetarian food can't contribute to weight gain?

Edit: just for perspective, here is how just the salad looks and you could have up to 1/4 cup of that in a sandwich

http://www.food.com/recipe/tomato-salad-with-tahini-sauce-middle-east-palestine-386345
  • kimdawnhayden
    kimdawnhayden Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    I was planning on taking my son to Zaxby's yesterday to celebrate the end of school year. I looked online at the calories for everything and about had a heart attack. I was just going to suck it up and go because we don't do fast food much and when I picked him up he said can we just go through the drive thru and take it home? I was relieved and I ate something at home. It's terrible when a meal on their menu is between 1100 and 2000 calories. Most of their salads were around 700 and more.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    It's a sandwich- on a bread roll. what are you expecting?
  • rldeclercq4
    rldeclercq4 Posts: 269 Member
    Options
    Ya'll realize you can cut a sammy in half and have two meals, right? Bam! Half the calories, all the deliciousness
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    Ya'll realize you can cut a sammy in half and have two meals, right? Bam! Half the calories, all the deliciousness

But not always filling sadly. Man, I made a delicious grilled cheese a few weeks back.. close to 700 calories. Hungry 2 hours later. Sigh.
  • PaulaSchlotterbeck
    PaulaSchlotterbeck Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Thank heavens for online menus... I like researching and preloading my calories too, as mentioned earlier- it helps so much!
  • charleycartee
    charleycartee Posts: 49 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options

ridiculous.jpg

No, not surprised at all. In fact I'm more surprised at the number of people who equate vegetarianism with lower calorie diets. I mean, it can be done of course, but with my protein goals getting enough protein on a vegetarian diet would require me to eat a lot more calories than I do. As it is, any meal I eat that's got cheese or tofu tends to be pretty high calorie. Beans are often sneaky calorie smugglers. Put a big hunk of avocado on a sandwich and BAM calorie bomb. (Delicious, but a calorie bomb).

EXACTLY! My diet is largely plant based and I keep getting comments like "how did you gain weight when you rarely eat meat?" Really??

My favorite falafel sandwich is 100% vegetarian (and vegan actually) and has 550 calories for a SMALL. A medium clocks at 800 something, and a "supreme" has fried eggplant and potatoes (in addition to the usual tahini based salad) and goes well beyond 1000 calories. Tell me again how vegetarian food can't contribute to weight gain?

Edit: just for perspective, here is how just the salad looks and you could have up to 1/4 cup of that in a sandwich

http://www.food.com/recipe/tomato-salad-with-tahini-sauce-middle-east-palestine-386345
    re: "how did you gain weight when you rarely eat meat?"
    I can't imagine that anyone who says that has actually looked at nutrition.

I'm not knocking vegetarianism... but if anything, my diet includes more meat than it did when I started tracking. I find it a lot easier to stay feeling full/satisfied when I hit my protein goals, even if I'm significantly under my calorie goals... and doing that is super easy if I just increase my meat portions slightly while making sure I keep my carb portions from increasing along with it.

• hokiemom14
    hokiemom14 Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    MissusMoon wrote: »
    malibu927 wrote: »
    Yep. It's why I can't get a whole sandwich at Panera anymore. They're very high calorie.

Me too! I can treat myself to steak and wine for the same calories for a whole sandwich there!! Some of the half sandwiches are really high, too. Panera is exhibit A that "eating clean" doesn't necessarily equal weight loss.

However, if you are "eating clean" you are definitely not going to eat a sandwich from Panera. That is not clean eating. And just like you, I'll take the steak and wine ;)

• sympha01
    sympha01 Posts: 942 Member
    Options
    Agree. It puzzles me sometimes that more recent arrivals in the US equate what they find in mass-market fast food chains and truck stops etc. with all the food in the US. I mean, the food I've found in European chain restaurants and roadside food is utterly VILE, poor quality, and if I'm LUCKY, tasteless. But that's because it's chain restaurant / truck stop food, not because Europeans all eat nasty food.

Well, I've been observing this for a couple of decades.

Slow learner, then?
  • Gisel2015
    Gisel2015 Posts: 4,144 Member
    Options
    Thank heavens for online menus... I like researching and preloading my calories too, as mentioned earlier- it helps so much!

Yeap, but that only works if the place has the menu and the nutritional value on line and if you know in advance where are you going to eat. Life is not that simple or predictable. Just saying...
  • JustinAnimal
    JustinAnimal Posts: 1,335 Member
    Options
    All of my favorite foods ever are DESTROYERS in the calorie department. Sandwiches, burritos, pizza, chicken wings (with bleu cheese), if they are big enough to actually satisfy me then they are easily 1000+. Don't get me started on breakfast... 2-3 eggs, hash browns, bacon and sausage... that's gotta be over 1k right there. Cooking at home and being "sensible" (AKA me hating life) is best for weight loss. Curse of the fatty!
  • JustinAnimal
    Options

ridiculous.jpg

Vegetarians, especially those of us who kind of suck at being vegetarian, have it the worst. My poor wife... at least she's a salad lover (with "real" or low cal dressing), which really helps in the calorie department.
  • JustinAnimal
    Options
    Francl27 wrote: »
    In the US, cheese is on ALL sandwiches, a concept that I don't really understand, especially since almost all of the cheese readily available in America is utterly, utterly tasteless, and resembles nothing more than a semi-solid form of creamy milk.

First, this is not true.

Second, it's perfectly possible to get a sandwich with good cheese, and the idea that almost all the cheese readily available in the US is tasteless is just odd. We have many good local cheeses and the ability to buy cheeses from around the world even if there were something inherently inferior about cheese made in the US.

I think it's mostly because most sandwich shops use pretty bland cheese on sandwiches, in my experience (like American cheese, baby Swiss or provolone, or mild cheddar when you're lucky).

I can find very good cheese but it's usually expensive and stores just don't put over $5 worth of cheese in their sandwiches.

In my experience, swiss (not artisinal gruyere or emantaller) and provolone are considered sandwich cheeses BECAUSE they don't steal the show. Why would you want to put cave-aged bleu or expensive cambazola or fine manchengo on BREAD WITH MAYO AND HAM! That stuff is expensive so you can eat it alone or with delicate bites of charcuterie or pear or apple... something that compliments the cheese and maybe even the wine you are drinking.

You wouldn't buy a $45 dry-aged wagyu ribeye and throw that on bread with mayo and pickles, would you?

And try shopping around. Americans make great cheese! Also, if we're going to be snobby about Europe, guess who's been making cheese for A LOT LONGER. That's like complaining that America doesn't have enough castles.
  • seekingdaintiness
    seekingdaintiness Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    That's why we call them sometimes foods.
  • seekingdaintiness
    seekingdaintiness Posts: 137 Member
    Options

ridiculous.jpg

I gained most of my weight (up to a whopping 315 pounds) on a vegetarian diet. I was pretty disappointed.
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    That's why we call them sometimes foods.

I eat sandwiches every day, just not the kind that breaks the calorie bank. Had a greek yogurt sandwich today for a quick snack. 3 simple ingredients: flatbread, yogurt, fresh spearmint - with a cup of sweet oolong tea. The whole meal barely made it to 150 calories including the sugar and would have been even less if I used low fat yogurt instead of whole (don't like it). That sandwich I mentioned earlier? Yeah, that's a very "sometimes" food since the small doesn't satisfy me.
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options

ridiculous.jpg

I gained most of my weight (up to a whopping 315 pounds) on a vegetarian diet. I was pretty disappointed.

i've been my fattest and my thinnest on a vegetarian diet. I've been vegetarian my whole life. I hate this misconception, believe me i was eating all the bean burritos, sandwiches, pizza, fries, and jalepeno poppers i could. :wink:
  • stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member
    Options
    Francl27 wrote: »

First, this is not true.

In my experience, swiss (not artisinal gruyere or emantaller) and provolone are considered sandwich cheeses BECAUSE they don't steal the show. Why would you want to put cave-aged bleu or expensive cambazola or fine manchengo on BREAD WITH MAYO AND HAM! That stuff is expensive so you can eat it alone or with delicate bites of charcuterie or pear or apple... something that compliments the cheese and maybe even the wine you are drinking.

You wouldn't buy a $45 dry-aged wagyu ribeye and throw that on bread with mayo and pickles, would you?

And try shopping around. Americans make great cheese! Also, if we're going to be snobby about Europe, guess who's been making cheese for A LOT LONGER. That's like complaining that America doesn't have enough castles.

I would, if I liked wagyu beef. The bread, mayo and pickles would need to elevated as well, of course.

My favorite 'burger' right now is a seared Ahi tuna with wasabi mayo, picked ginger, a nori chip and arugula on brioche.

I get sandwiches with stronger flavored cheeses pretty frequently. Blue or a chevre, most often. Maytag Blue has a nice kick and is pretty widely available.
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    Options
    45 calorie bread, 70 calorie cheese, 63 grams of turkey at about 70 calories (cut from my local deli), maybe a low sodium piece of bacon at 40 calories and no condiments.. Less than 300 calories sandwich.. And that is a plain sandwich on "diet bread".

So I get the nasty amount of calories in a restaurant served sandwich it is made for taste and no one cares what that does to one's calorie bugget or their waste line out there in the food service land..

Always use the online menus or checkout the calories on the menu board before you get there. Always have a chance to go somewhere else.