Really, a sandwich?

Options

Replies

• sylkates
    sylkates Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    Think we're luckier in the UK, most premade sandwiches are 300-too came though i have seen some bearer 600

Pret A Manger is a UK chain right? They're my favorite place for sandwiches in NYC since most of them are under 500 calories.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    300-400 calories of bread, 100+ calories of condiments, 150 calories of cheese, 100 calories+ of meat...

Easy.
  • Noreenmarie1234
    Noreenmarie1234 Posts: 7,493 Member
    Options
    I love panera, I swap stuff and use the recipe builder online to make meals that are half sandwich, half salad and fruit cup for 250-400 calories.
  • skinnyforhi
    skinnyforhi Posts: 340 Member
    Options
    I don't see why people think the calories should have been obvious to OP. I'm pretty good about estimating calories and I was SHOCKED at a restaurant salad I had been eating that has 830 calories a serving (and this salad has very little cheese and isn't drowned in dressing). If I'm stuck and I absolutely have to eat a sandwich at one of these places, I cut the sandwich in half and call it a day.
  • sympha01
    sympha01 Posts: 942 Member
    Options
    rainbowbow wrote: »
    Are you suprised by this?

Oh, i'm vegetarian, i'll just have a sandwich...

ridiculous.jpg

No, not surprised at all. In fact I'm more surprised at the number of people who equate vegetarianism with lower calorie diets. I mean, it can be done of course, but with my protein goals getting enough protein on a vegetarian diet would require me to eat a lot more calories than I do. As it is, any meal I eat that's got cheese or tofu tends to be pretty high calorie. Beans are often sneaky calorie smugglers. Put a big hunk of avocado on a sandwich and BAM calorie bomb. (Delicious, but a calorie bomb).
  • lauraesh0384
    lauraesh0384 Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    It's really depressing because I love Jimmy John's but my favorite sandwich (Italian Night Club) is 934 calories and 2400mg of sodium!! Not to mention I'd add cherry peppers onto it. And to think I used to eat one of those PLUS a bag of Jimmy Chips at least once a week.
  • Francl27
    Options
    Pretty much why I only eat sandwiches when I REALLY crave one. And it's better be good bread... forget Subway. But bread doesn't fill me up, so if I'm going to spend 300 calories on non filling food, it will typically not be a sandwich.
  • ding30180
    ding30180 Posts: 53 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    Think we're luckier in the UK, most premade sandwiches are 300-too came though i have seen some bearer 600

When I was growing up in the UK, THIS was a ham sandwich. In America (and for all I know now in the UK, too), THIS is a ham sandwich.

Not only has the size ballooned beyond belief, we used to eat EITHER a ham OR a cheese sandwich - literally, one OR the other, not both. In the US, cheese is on ALL sandwiches, a concept that I don't really understand, especially since almost all of the cheese readily available in America is utterly, utterly tasteless, and resembles nothing more than a semi-solid form of creamy milk.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    Eat half the sandwich or remove the top piece of bread, or both. Big calorie savers!
  • Francl27
    Options
    ding30180 wrote: »

When I was growing up in the UK, THIS was a ham sandwich. In America (and for all I know now in the UK, too), THIS is a ham sandwich.

Not only has the size ballooned beyond belief, we used to eat EITHER a ham OR a cheese sandwich - literally, one OR the other, not both. In the US, cheese is on ALL sandwiches, a concept that I don't really understand, especially since almost all of the cheese readily available in America is utterly, utterly tasteless, and resembles nothing more than a semi-solid form of creamy milk.

I grew up in France and this was a ham sandwich.

sandwich-jambon.jpg

So it's not such a huge difference calorie-wise, as the bread is probably most of the calories (and we typically added butter too, which is probably worse calorie-wise than those 6 ounces of ham or something).

But Americans just put way too much stuff in every food item. Makes you wonder if they just want to hide the taste of the bread sometimes (because, let's face it, it really just doesn't compare). Crepes are even worse here... can't taste it at all with how stuffed they are. Sad.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options

It's not hard to find premade sandwiches for 300-400 here either. One I get occasionally is 270.

It's also not hard to find calorie bombs.
  • sympha01
    sympha01 Posts: 942 Member
    Options
    Francl27 wrote: »
    Pretty much why I only eat sandwiches when I REALLY crave one. And it's better be good bread... forget Subway. But bread doesn't fill me up, so if I'm going to spend 300 calories on non filling food, it will typically not be a sandwich.

CO-SIGN x 1000

I mean, awesome sandwiches are AWESOME, but 9 out of 10 sandwiches are meh.

I lurve me some prosciutto and roasted veggies (say, peppers, zucchini, eggplant) and cheese, slathered with pesto on a great roll. OH GOD I WANT ONE RIGHT NOW.
  • GreenValli
    GreenValli Posts: 1,054 Member
    Options
    I love sandwiches for lunch and make my own. Some products make it easier to keep the calories low. I often use sandwich thins which are 100 calories, or a half of a pita bread which is 110 calories, one large slice of bread and cut it in half, or a low calorie tortilla and make it a wrap. For protein you can use very thin sliced cheeses (Sargento has several) and fat free meats (Celebrity black forest ham available at Trader Joes is 25 calories a slice), or use a fried egg, make a bean spread, or cook a bean burger. Adding extras like lettuce, tomato, etc. will make the sandwich more satisfying, too. Variety, variety, variety!
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,342 Member
    Options
    Yeah. ... Make your own! Almost half the calories and the sodium can be much reduced as well.
  • fitnessjustin01
    fitnessjustin01 Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    Not even sure when the last time I had a sandwich..
  • ding30180
    ding30180 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    sympha01 wrote: »
    Agree. It puzzles me sometimes that more recent arrivals in the US equate what they find in mass-market fast food chains and truck stops etc. with all the food in the US. I mean, the food I've found in European chain restaurants and roadside food is utterly VILE, poor quality, and if I'm LUCKY, tasteless. But that's because it's chain restaurant / truck stop food, not because Europeans all eat nasty food.

Well, I've been observing this for a couple of decades.
  • robininfl
    robininfl Posts: 1,137 Member
    Options
    ding30180 wrote: »
    sympha01 wrote: »
    Agree. It puzzles me sometimes that more recent arrivals in the US equate what they find in mass-market fast food chains and truck stops etc. with all the food in the US. I mean, the food I've found in European chain restaurants and roadside food is utterly VILE, poor quality, and if I'm LUCKY, tasteless. But that's because it's chain restaurant / truck stop food, not because Europeans all eat nasty food.

Well, I've been observing this for a couple of decades.

I like cheese that tastes like something, not rubber. American and have no problem finding that. Last sandwich I ate had Boar's Head Chipotle Gouda on it, yum. We keep super sharp cheddar on hand at home, and the only good "monterey jack" cheese I have ever found, the Publix store brand. We get queso fresco at the local shop, my daughter makes fresh ricotta and mozarella and paneer cheese, we get French goat milk feta at the middle eastern market, and good cheap brie at the warehouse store, oddly enough, they also have good Parmesan available but for that the step between OK and good isn't big enough to justify the price, to me. Anything we shred ourselves is OK.

The only difference with cheese in the US is that all must be made with sterilized milk, right? In Europe I think you can get cheeses made with raw milk?

Cabot, the US farm collective, makes some really good cheddars. Gawd I love cheese.