Manners

Options

Replies

• jnichel
    jnichel Posts: 4,553 Member
    Options
    I have been trying to understand this as well. Rude because they're eating a rotisserie chicken and licking their fingers and touching everything all over and leaving bones in the aisle? Or rude because they popped open a container of crackers and munched on a few? Because I have opened crackers or candy in a store and never thought twice about it. I'm going to pay for it anyway.

Yeah, if the OP is talking about sampling stuff as they go around the store, that's one thing, but just munching on something that you're going to buy as you make your way through the store?
  • jnichel
    Options
    I weigh nuts in the bulk section in whole foods and after sticking the sticker price, I chew some nuts right there, because I am going to pay for it anyway. Somebody other than WF management wants to encroach on my private rights of eating my nuts???
    You're allowed to sample at WF anyway. :grin:

I tried sampling a cashier and they arrested me.

• Ws2016
    Ws2016 Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    No different than eating at the food demos. Belly up!
  • DeficitDuchess
    DeficitDuchess Posts: 3,099 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    It bugs me, unless theres a kid 4 years old or less doing it. Id rather have them do that than screaming their irritating snot covered heads off.

Agreed ! But I actually make sure I bring food from home for my kids .
    I agree, no you aren't uptight.

My biggest thing is manners wise that I don't think people do enough is say please, and thank you to people in the service industry, especially food service (I've never been in the food service industry so I'm not biased lol). Cashiers at fast food places get treated with no respect. When people are really hungry or we are talking about a place that serves coffee, and the customer hasnt had coffee yet, those people are the biggest a#@#4^& in the world. Makes me very angry. I usually tip a few dollars at places like this just because of how bad I feel for the way the people are spoken to.

I can respect that. I worked all over the food/retail industry.
    I can say that it's not a 15$/Hr job though.

Respect should be given to everyone though. I don't get people who are *kitten* to anyone serving them- the jerks at the coffee shop are usually terrible with there doctors, nurses, lawyers, customer service representatives, cops, etc etc
    synchkat wrote: »

Omg I find thst annoying too. Like you dont have enough self control to wait until you buy it? If you're thst hungry get it and buy it right away then

Again I completely agree. I understand being very hungry while you're shopping however you can't be so hungry that you need to absolutely eat whatever you grabbed right away. I was just raised but it was disrespectful to do such things I mean you wouldn't go around opening toys or putting on clothes or opening video games or etc. etc. in the store so why would you think it's OK to open that bag of chips or that box of cereal.

A lot of toys have labels, that say "try me" (of course without opening the package) & some stores have toy samples for use, within the store; including video games. Stores having dressing rooms, for trying on clothes & offer food samples.
    I have been trying to understand this as well. Rude because they're eating a rotisserie chicken and licking their fingers and touching everything all over and leaving bones in the aisle?
    Ws2016 wrote: »
    No different than eating at the food demos. Belly up!

I don't agree with intentionally making a mess but some of the food demos that they've given, without utensils; have been finger foods. So obviously thanks to the store's lack of cleanliness, have caused this situation (licking fingers); when offering food samples.
  • MelodyandBarbells
    MelodyandBarbells Posts: 7,725 Member
    Options
    jnichel wrote: »
    I have been trying to understand this as well. Rude because they're eating a rotisserie chicken and licking their fingers and touching everything all over and leaving bones in the aisle? Or rude because they popped open a container of crackers and munched on a few? Because I have opened crackers or candy in a store and never thought twice about it. I'm going to pay for it anyway.

Yeah, if the OP is talking about sampling stuff as they go around the store, that's one thing, but just munching on something that you're going to buy as you make your way through the store?

Basically it's not yet yours until you have paid. Though I do sample grapes because I'm not buying sour ones. #nothappening
  • jnichel
    Options
    JaneiR36 wrote: »

Basically it's not yet yours until you have paid. Though I do sample grapes because I'm not buying sour ones. #nothappening

And it's not the OP's. Maybe I'm not just uptight enough. *shrugs*
  • Zom_bunny
    Zom_bunny Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    It is not yours until you pay for it.
  • MelodyandBarbells
    Options

Could range anywhere from bad manners to potential theft. And yep, those things do not bother everyone when it isn't yours being taken.
  • jnichel
    Options

Could range anywhere from bad manners to potential theft. And yep, those things do not bother everyone when it isn't yours being taken.

So we all would be better people if we assumed that everyone munching on a cracker or taking a sip of some drink while at the grocery store is a dirty thief?
  • gothchiq
    gothchiq Posts: 4,598 Member
    Options
    It's rude unless they are diabetic having a blood sugar emergency, in which case manners can go by the wayside in favor of not passing out.
  • jnichel
    Options
    I think it says more about the offended than the people that are eating food/trying on clothes while clothes shopping (God forbid)/playing with toys to see if it's a toy you want to buy (oh no!).

I find the easily offended rude.

Will you marry me? And I don't even care if you're a dude. :)
  • salembambi
    salembambi Posts: 5,592 Member
    Options
    yea i would never do that at a grocery store

but if you are at the market & you want to walk around snacking on something you just bought at a stall that is totally normal.... at least at the markets in my city
  • MelodyandBarbells
    Options

So we all would be better people if we assumed that everyone munching on a cracker or taking a sip of some drink while at the grocery store is a dirty thief?

I don't know if they are dirty thieves. But we can see them using something they have not yet paid for.
  • MelodyandBarbells
    Options
    If you feel like you have to pontificate the rest of the world on something like this, you need therapy and some prozac ;)

What, you got some? Sharing's caring!
  • Guns_N_Buns
    Guns_N_Buns Posts: 1,899 Member
    Options
    I think it says more about the offended than the people that are eating food/trying on clothes while clothes shopping (God forbid)/playing with toys to see if it's a toy you want to buy (oh no!).

I'll check with the hubby! >:)
  • jnichel
    Options

I'll check with the hubby! >:)

Can you check with my wife too? She scares me.
  • enterdanger
    enterdanger Posts: 2,447 Member
    Options
    I always eat a grape. How else will I know if they are yummy enough to buy? Last time I neglected to partake of the grapes prior to putting them in my cart they looked beautiful...and were sour as all get out. Ended up throwing them out.

I also bribe the kids to shut up with a box of animal crackers. The cool one with the string handle that looks like a zoo train (is that even PC anymore?) I do pay for them when we get to the register. The store makes out on that anyway...half my cookies never leave the store cause kids drop them everywhere.

Although, when I see people walking around eating those huge, gross pickles from the barrel I for real got a problem with that.
  • Galadrial60
    Galadrial60 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    If your actual beef is manners...you are on the wrong side here.
    Judith Manners (also known as Miss Manners, the etiquette expert) would chide you for being nosy...and ask if someone who was diabetic or hypoglycemic needed to explain to EVERYONE in the store that they were eating to restore their sugars, etc. You have no idea why they are doing it...and it really isn't your business. Most markets have security, so rest assured, the light fingered shopping grazer will probably be called to carpet.

But really...why does it bother you personally?