Manners

Options

Replies

• adremark
    adremark Posts: 774 Member
    Options
    I always eat a grape. How else will I know if they are yummy enough to buy? Last time I neglected to partake of the grapes prior to putting them in my cart they looked beautiful...and were sour as all get out. Ended up throwing them out.

I also bribe the kids to shut up with a box of animal crackers. The cool one with the string handle that looks like a zoo train (is that even PC anymore?) I do pay for them when we get to the register. The store makes out on that anyway...half my cookies never leave the store cause kids drop them everywhere.

Although, when I see people walking around eating those huge, gross pickles from the barrel I for real got a problem with that.

Those are the best ones!! :)
  • MelodyandBarbells
    MelodyandBarbells Posts: 7,725 Member
    Options
    adremark wrote: »
    I saw a comedian once talk about his going into a grocery store. He sees a cart filled with items, and just grabs the cart and rolls it away. The owner of the cart starts yelling at him, saying "hey! that's my cart and my groceries!". The comedian replied, "no, actually the groceries belong to the store. You haven't paid for them yet. You've just conveniently put in a basket all the things I like!". :D

So, was it theft when he took the cart from the other patron? Not at all-- the food wasn't paid for yet. Was it rude? Definitely!

By extension of this logic, eating food before paying for it is not really rude (it doesn't harm anyone else), but it is questionably theft, as you haven't paid for it yet.

That said, my $0.02 worth is that I have bigger things to worry about in this world than whether someone else is eating from a box of cookies which they intend to pay for!

I did have a case where my credit card didn't work once. Wound up needing to drop one item since the cash I had on me only went so far. Luckily I was buying three of one item and simply dropped two :)
  • jnichel
    jnichel Posts: 4,553 Member
    Options
    joolie1234 wrote: »
    Every once in a while, I eat a piece of bread out of a loaf of I get hungry while shopping. I can't imagine, with the literally hundreds I spend there on a weekly basis, that anyone would challenge me over one piece of bread. Theft would be if I ate the whole loaf and tossed the evidence before I got to the checkout. In fact, when my kids were little, I remember paying for empty boxes after they finished a snack. I think that as long as you end up buying it, the store probably doesn't care if you open it while shopping, and so neither should you. It's really not worth arguing over.

Nope, you're totally a rude, offending, mannerless person.
  • Dr1nkbleachndye
    Dr1nkbleachndye Posts: 441 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    I agree, no you aren't uptight.

My biggest thing is manners wise that I don't think people do enough is say please, and thank you to people in the service industry, especially food service (I've never been in the food service industry so I'm not biased lol). Cashiers at fast food places get treated with no respect. When people are really hungry or we are talking about a place that serves coffee, and the customer hasnt had coffee yet, those people are the biggest a#@#4^& in the world. Makes me very angry. I usually tip a few dollars at places like this just because of how bad I feel for the way the people are spoken to.

Sadly, cashiers in the fast food industry have made a name for themselves as being rude and bad listeners. Add that to the fact that a lot are picketing to make $15/hr for that line of work and you're not going to get much sympathy. I don't think being rude is ever the answer to anything.
    I've never met a cashier who picketed for 15 dollars an hr, in fact, most of the people I am referencing are the people that are happy to have jobs. They make what living they can, and try to save money to help out their families. I guess I should have included that I wasnt grouping in the entitled crowd when referencing cashiers that I feel bad for.

The people who picketing for 15/hr rub me the same way they rub everyone else. If they get 15/hr for what they do, they completely undermine someone like myself who is in labor. Some of the people I have worked with over the years are as lazy as they come, and you would wonder how is that possible that someone like that has a job, but that is the beauty of unions. There will always be people like that though, and there will always be workers, which are the people who maintain the balance.

In any fast food restaurant where 15/hr is one of the daily main topics, I would think it's safe to say that there aren't too many workers there.
  • zoeysasha37
    zoeysasha37 Posts: 7,089 Member
    Options
    I don't like that either! I think its kind of weird to eat the food before you've paid for it.
  • MelodyandBarbells
    Options
    I don't understand the "it's not yours before you buy it" logic:

Ever hear of a restaurant? I pay for AYCE sushi AFTER I've already eaten it all.

I test drive a car and gun the hell out of it knowing full well I probably won't buy it.

When I get meat from the Deli at my grocery store, they GIVE ME meat to eat (gasp!) before I'm even close to being ready for check-out!

Ever go to a shoe store? If you tried on shoes and pranced around (like a typical, entitled, rude, scalawag) the aisles with them on your feet, you are a hypocrite. Period. Especially if you didn't buy them; now the poor soul who does has to put their un-thieving feet where yours have been and they don't know when the last time you had a pedicure was, or if you even clean those festering things. The nerve!

Trying on multiple pairs so you can purchase your new work shoes is the same as not being able to wait 20 minutes to snack on some cookies? If you didn't like the cookies, would you repackage and return them to the shelf?

They provide socks for trying on shoes. Anyone concerned about others' feet could actually use those. There are a number of tools in place for what is clearly a try before you buy setup
  • Guns_N_Buns
    Guns_N_Buns Posts: 1,899 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    So everyone you detest seeing eating in a store is eating because they're "sampling" the product (inferring that they'd put it back if they didn't like it, or not buy the WHOLE product, just take from it and put it back on the shelf)? I would imagine that if someone couldn't wait to eat outside of the store it's because they know the item is damned delicious. I mean, that's the more logical conclusion.

Besides, it's none of your damned business if I want to snack on cookies while I shop. There's no difference from being at a carnival or the movies and snacking THEN, either....I mean, I can wait 2 hours to eat popcorn after the movie, but I can also eat popcorn while watching the movie. I'm pretty sure this is the whole point of food courts in the mall too...

Also, the OP mentioned trying on clothes is deplorable, as well...hence my shoe analogy, but kudos for ignoring all my other points.
  • Guns_N_Buns
    Options
    I don't know why my phone auto-corrects to *insert country voice*'damned delicious'*/country voice*, but I like it.
  • brb_2013
    brb_2013 Posts: 1,197 Member
    Options
    wilsoncl6 wrote: »
    Sounds like a 3rd World Problem to me. Much more important things to worry about than someone eating a product in the store that they intend to buy anyway. I've busted open a a bottle of water in the store as I'm walking to the register to buy it because I was really thirsty and dehydrated.

Same here, never with food for myself but heck yeah I will bust open a box of granola bars to silence the minions ANYTIME
    If you want to call me out, feel free, but prepare yourself cause I'm opinionated and I surely could let those minions do as they please....
  • DeficitDuchess
    DeficitDuchess Posts: 3,099 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    JaneiR36 wrote: »

Ever hear of a restaurant? I pay for AYCE sushi AFTER I've already eaten it all.

I test drive a car and gun the hell out of it knowing full well I probably won't buy it.

When I get meat from the Deli at my grocery store, they GIVE ME meat to eat (gasp!) before I'm even close to being ready for check-out!

Ever go to a shoe store? If you tried on shoes and pranced around (like a typical, entitled, rude, scalawag) the aisles with them on your feet, you are a hypocrite. Period. Especially if you didn't buy them; now the poor soul who does has to put their un-thieving feet where yours have been and they don't know when the last time you had a pedicure was, or if you even clean those festering things. The nerve!

Trying on multiple pairs so you can purchase your new work shoes is the same as not being able to wait 20 minutes to snack on some cookies? If you didn't like the cookies, would you repackage and return them to the shelf?

They provide socks for trying on shoes. Anyone concerned about others' feet could actually use those. There are a number of tools in place for what is clearly a try before you buy setup

Well some people'll try on a pair of shoes, walk around; decide they like them & then go pay for them, without taking them off because they either put their old shoes, in the trash (if there's a trash can nearby) or place them in the box, of the new shoes.
  • brb_2013
    brb_2013 Posts: 1,197 Member
    Options
    Zom_bunny wrote: »
    It is not yours until you pay for it.

Do you have a scripted speech prepared for all the law breakers you see out there?
  • MelodyandBarbells
    Options

Well some people will try on a pair of shoes, walk around; decide they like them & then go pay for them, without taking them off because they either put their old shoes, in the trash (if there's a trash can nearby) or place them in the box, of the new shoes.

Yep! I've seen that done. Or even wearing the clothes to the counter if they need to be somewhere and then taking the tags off once they've paid. Again, these are clearly established try before you buy businesses!
  • MelodyandBarbells
    Options
    So everyone you detest seeing eating in a store is eating because they're "sampling" the product (inferring that they'd put it back if they didn't like it, or not buy the WHOLE product, just take from it and put it back on the shelf)? I would imagine that if someone couldn't wait to eat outside of the store it's because they know the item is damned delicious. I mean, that's the more logical conclusion.

Besides, it's none of your damned business if I want to snack on cookies while I shop. There's no difference from being at a carnival or the movies and snacking THEN, either....I mean, I can wait 2 hours to eat popcorn after the movie, but I can also eat popcorn while watching the movie. I'm pretty sure this is the whole point of food courts in the mall too...

Also, the OP mentioned trying on clothes is deplorable, as well...hence my shoe analogy, but kudos for ignoring all my other points.

Detest? Easy, there ;)

Did you happen to notice at the carnival, food court and movies, you paid for the food first?
  • Guns_N_Buns
    Options
    Is a restaurant an "established" try before you buy business?
  • DeficitDuchess
    DeficitDuchess Posts: 3,099 Member
    Options

Well some people will try on a pair of shoes, walk around; decide they like them & then go pay for them, without taking them off because they either put their old shoes, in the trash (if there's a trash can nearby) or place them in the box, of the new shoes.

Yep! I've seen that done. Or even wearing the clothes to the counter if they need to be somewhere and then taking the tags off once they've paid. Again, these are clearly established try before you buy businesses!

However with many restaurants, you're expected to pay; whether or not, you enjoyed your meal (which eliminates it being, a try before you buy establishment) but they pay after, they've consumed; their item.
  • fit4itall
    fit4itall Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    It bugs me, unless theres a kid 4 years old or less doing it. Id rather have them do that than screaming their irritating snot covered heads off.

This. I try to pack enough snacks, but I have had to open snacks in order to keep, I mean STOP my youngest from screaming her head off. I'm pretty sure her relentless shrill scream will annoy and actually cause physical pain (earaches) to way more people...and no, I will not leave the store/line.
  • MelodyandBarbells
    Options

However with many restaurants, you're expected to pay; whether or not, you enjoyed your meal (which eliminates it being, a try before you buy establishment) but they pay after, they've consumed; their item.

Very true. I still wouldn't take my dirty dishes to the check out counter or otherwise start ripping open packages and using the item just because I can do it in a restaurant. Waiting until I have the store receipt in my hand and the item belongs to me makes more sense to me
  • Zom_bunny
    Zom_bunny Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    brb_2013 wrote: »
    Zom_bunny wrote: »
    It is not yours until you pay for it.

Do you have a scripted speech prepared for all the law breakers you see out there?

Of course not it is absolutely none of my business. The question was if it is bad manners or not. I believe it is because a product is is not yours until after you purchase it.