2 strategy to lose belly fat

Options
2»

Replies

• SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Options
    LeanLeme wrote: »
    It's not diet or exercise this time, this is what I do more often these days
    ⬇️ lower your stress level
    ⬆️ increase your sleep

That's wonderful that lowering your stress level and increasing your sleep has helped you to stay within your calorie goals, therefore leading to your desired weight loss. I love when that kind of thing happens. For me, if I am not sleeping well, and if my stress hits the roof, then I have a harder time staying conscious enough to pay attention to my calorie intake. The result......ooops on the scale. :smiley:
  • SLLRunner
    Options
    Carlos_421 wrote: »
    Also, if adequate sleep and low stress is what it takes, why was Buddha fat? Every statue I've seen of him seems pretty chill.

This is actually a good question. When I was overweight, I actually slept much better and had lower stress levels.
  • SLLRunner
    Options
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    Since everything tends to be a chemical reaction in the body, I'll agree to a point. Lowering stress can also be done by increasing stress, such as in exercise. Cortisol isn't bad since it's raised during times of exercise. Like anything else though, over abundance of it isn't optimal to health.
    I will agree on sleep though. Many don't get enough and also don't realize that the body burns the most fat at rest and sleep than any other time of the day.
    Of course you have to couple these along with a good nutrition plan to support it.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

I don't agree with your entire assessment. You can have excellent sleep, low stress, good nutrition, and still gain weight if you eat too much.
  • VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    Options
    Conversely I am a chronic insomniac with high levels of anxiety/stress. Exercise has helped some but they are just a fact of life for me. My calorie deficit means I am losing fat, including belly fat, just fine. Sure I'd prefer it if I slept well all the time and had no stress but I'm still losing weight exactly as expected.
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    LeanLeme wrote: »
    Notice I said 2 strategy, there's a lot more ways to lose belly fat so please claim down. A lot of us here at MFP know about calorie deficit but many people stuck and stop seeing improvement because of the two things I state above.
    Belly fat is not a weight problem it's a harmony problem, "high cortisol" problem
    Diet don't lower cortisol it lower calories
    The only way to lower cortisol is by lower your stress level

I would actually say if someone gets stuck the first thing they should do is ensure they are being accurate and potentially adjust their intake or their calorie expenditure.
  • brb_2013
    brb_2013 Posts: 1,197 Member
    Options
    Good general advice to people! Sometimes we forget the basics, sleep is key to being successful! I have to say, I got what most would consider "adequate" sleep last night but I felt like a zombie this morning and I skipped a potential workout. There is time later, but I felt impacted by my lack of sleep compared to my usual 8 hours. 6 to me is like, dead zone. I am hoping that by being mindful I will avoid the over eating I tend to do on sleepy days.

Maybe it's not scientific but your post reminded me that I do need my sleep, staying up late to watch game of thrones threatens my workout, and I should probably make sure I get enough sleep tonight!
  • Sarahb29
    Sarahb29 Posts: 952 Member
    Options
    Great advice, but I doubt it specifically targets belly fat. It's great for overall health of course! If we could target belly fat us ladies would avoid boob jobs altogether and just get fat to gain a few cup sizes then lose fat and sleep more to lose just the belly.
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options
    I can haz all the donuts?

No. Because I already ate some.
  • VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    Options
    TR0berts wrote: »

Can it be cronuts instead? Because I tried them on my recent holiday and oh dear lord.
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,487 Member
    Options
    Here is an article that made sense of belly fat for me.

http://www.health.harvard.edu/staying-healthy/taking-aim-at-belly-fat

Cheers, h.
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options

Can it be cronuts instead? Because I tried them on my recent holiday and oh dear lord.

brb - googling cronuts.

All yours.
  • CattOfTheGarage
    CattOfTheGarage Posts: 2,750 Member
    Options
    My belly sticks out. I'm pretty sure this is only half fat, and the other half is due to weak core muscles exacerbated by pregnancy.

I would bet a lot of the "belly fat" so beloved of clickbait headlines isn't fat at all, and the best way to "lose" it for a lot of people would be to take up Pilates.
  • snickerscharlie
    snickerscharlie Posts: 8,578 Member
    Options

Clearly, you need a nap, then. :)