Do you count your salad?

Options

Replies

• kgirlhart
    kgirlhart Posts: 4,995 Member
    Options
    I count everything. But I will sometimes eyeball a salad and not worry about it too much. It depends on what you put in the salad. I often eat bagged salads and it is 15 calories for 85g and I have a pretty good idea of how full the bowl will be for 85g. But even if I eyeball the salad I weigh anything I add like cheese avocado or egg. And always weigh the dressing.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    I'll do a rough estimate for very low-calorie things like lettuce, carrots, cucumber, etc. But if there's avocado, cheese, meats, dressing, etc., it gets counted.

I do a variation on this^

I start with a basic "recipe"....then add higher count things individually.
  • 85Cardinals
    85Cardinals Posts: 733 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    Logging and weighing 98% of my food and skipping the lettuce is close enough for government work imo. I'm more of a big picture type.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,973 Member
    Options
    I didn't count low calorie veggies when I was here in 2012 and did not have a digital food scale. Did not hinder my weight loss.

Now that I have a scale and all these foods are in my Recent, I do count them. My meal would look weird without them.

I also count some low calorie veggies as a way to eat more of them. I'd eat about 75 grams of broccoli without weighing but want to eat 100, so weigh it out.
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options
    these foods are inherently low in calories, so i imagine if you still have a lot of weight to lose you have some wiggle room.

For me, since i'm so close to my goal weight/maintenance everything must be counted (accurately, too!). Otherwise i can do an entire week's deficit in veggies. :)
  • indiacaitlin
    indiacaitlin Posts: 691 Member
    Options
    I do, I weigh it all out. Every bit of lettuce, tomato, cucumber etc gets weighed and added. Never used to but I'm trying to really tighten up my nutrition!
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    Of course, they have calories - but maybe she's doing WW or something similar where veggies are "free" - they have a drastically lower base calorie goal to account for the fact you're supposed to be eating a lot of veggies and fruit.
  • bradmorris67
    bradmorris67 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    This one does

nqne40ib7fq3.jpg
  • AgentFlex
    AgentFlex Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    Absolutely!
  • MsDeeHawk12
    MsDeeHawk12 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    Absolutely -- everything needs to be counted. Even the little bits and little calories.
  • tomteboda
    tomteboda Posts: 2,171 Member
    Options
    I count everything. Being off by 100 calories /day is roughly 10 lbs/year. That's how I went from 165 to 270 in 15 years in the first place.
  • Jams009
    Jams009 Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    Of course.
  • Rachel0778
    Rachel0778 Posts: 1,701 Member
    Options
    My friend doesn't add them to her diary because if she had to count them she'd refuse to eat them, whereas I will eat them regardless so I add them for accuracy. If your friend has to play that mind game to eat veggies and it works for her that's cool, but for me since I can easily eat 60+ calories of veggies a day I like to log it
  • robingmurphy
    robingmurphy Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    Yes ... but I just guesstimate raw veggies. I don't measure or weigh them. I eyeball the amounts. They are so low cal that if I'm plus or minus a bit, it won't impact things.
  • MissusMoon
    MissusMoon Posts: 1,900 Member
    Options
    Little thing add up over the day and weeks. I drink black coffee. A lot of people don't log that, but it's 12 calories. Add in another ten or fifteen for cooking spray, and a volume of tiny things throughout the day and it makes a dent.
    So yeah, I log my salad greens, even if it's seven calories worth.
  • robininfl
    robininfl Posts: 1,137 Member
    Options
    Usually just the dressing if it's small. If it's the whole bag of a salad kit, the calories are on the bag, so yes, that's easy enough.
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    Options
    Absolutely. Salads can be calorie laden if you loose control of it. Just a bowl of lettuce minus tomatoes, veggies, cheese, dressing, or other toppings.. no.. But who just eats a bowl of lettuce?
  • Maxematics
    Maxematics Posts: 2,287 Member
    Options
    I log everything except for chewing gum and that includes black coffee but I may change that. I leave some padding just in case, though. People who have a lot of weight to lose can usually get away with being a bit lax in their logging but the less you have to lose, the more imperative accuracy is.
  • srecupid
    srecupid Posts: 660 Member
    Options
    I just don't see the point in not logging it. I buy a bag of something green at the beginning of the week and i only have to scan the barcode once then it's in recents. I set my bowl on my food scale throw in my ingredients after zeroing out each time and right the number down. Then i spend 30 seconds logging it once i'm done eating. I don't just want to know about the calories i want to see if i'm hitting my nutrition goals as well. Not logging it is kind of being dishonest and myfitnesspal only works when you are honest with it