Do you count your salad?

Options
Both my friend and I are counting our calories. We are both losing weight.

We just had a chicken salad for lunch and she only counted the chicken. She didn't count the cals from lettuce, cucumber, pepper, carrot and a few cherry tomatoes.

I know it's not many calories, but do you count them?

Thanks

Replies

• cityruss
    cityruss Posts: 2,493 Member
    Options
    Yes.

• snickerscharlie
    snickerscharlie Posts: 8,578 Member
    Options
    If it's food, you count it. :)

• snowflake954
    snowflake954 Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options
    Always count everything--it's a good habit to get into. Also you don't say anything about your salad dressing. Sometimes that has alot of calories. Be sure you count that.
  • ladyreva78
    ladyreva78 Posts: 4,080 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    I count them for the micros; especially fiber since I tend to have just a little bit too little of that.

What I'm really careful about, on the other hand, is the condiments (salad dressing and such) because that can up the calorie count quite drastically.
  • MalcolmX1983
    MalcolmX1983 Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    Count it.
    It all adds up.
  • MelaniaTrump
    MelaniaTrump Posts: 2,694 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    Different point of view:
    She might be on maintenance and taking it "easier".
    I do not count lettuce or low sodium v-8's.
    Onions, peppers, garlic.
  • UncaToddly
    UncaToddly Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    She didn't count the cals from lettuce, cucumber, pepper, carrot and a few cherry tomatoes.

I know it's not many calories, but do you count them?Thanks

This reminds me of my wife when she is making things for us (she is not working on weight loss or counting calories). When she is telling me what she made so I can log it (sometimes as a recipe or simply ingredients) I will often hear things like "There is some tomato, onion, carrots but they don't really count to any real degree."

For me, if we are having a salad with dinner or AS dinner, I weight each portion and log it. Things like the lettuce and tomato on a BLT don't add much either compared to the bread, bacon and mayo but I still count them so why wouldn't I do it with a salad? :)
  • nikkxjohnson
    nikkxjohnson Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    I count them, not really for the calories but for the nutrition. I like to know all the nutrients I get. You have to be careful of the add ins though, that's where the calories come from.
  • Wysewoman53
    Wysewoman53 Posts: 582 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    I count and log everything...even the stuff I know isn't the lowest in calories or the best stuff I can eat. Everything adds up even the bites of something here and there. I can't figure out the 'bites' so I just don't eat them anymore.
  • srecupid
    srecupid Posts: 660 Member
    Options
    I make them at home and i log everything. It's actually one of the easier things to log. I just zero out the scale after adding each ingredient
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    Yes, I log vegetables from a salad. I want a complete log of what I eat not just for calories. I don't worry if I am off slightly with those kinds of foods like I would with the chicken or salad dressing.

Do what works for you and let your friend do what works for her. If she complains about not losing at some point suggest she log everything including vegetables.
  • sarahthes
    sarahthes Posts: 3,252 Member
    Options
    I don't usually weigh low calorie veggies. Sometimes I'm sure I overestimate. Sometimes I underestimate. I'm pretty sure it all evens out eventually. Overconsumption of veggies isn't likely to hinder my loss for a long time yet (28 lbs gone, 90 lbs left to lose).
  • Pam_1965
    Pam_1965 Posts: 137 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    On Nutrisystem veggies were never counted. I understood that for most vegetables but carrots really add up. I eat 50 calories of Cherub tomatoes and 70 calories of baby carrots at least once a day, so I always add them. When an entire bag of spinach is 20 calories, and I only add a small handful to my omelette, I don't worry so much. Now I have my omelette stored as a recipe, so everything is added.

3qdbrod17aoa.jpeg
  • 85Cardinals
    85Cardinals Posts: 733 Member
    Options
    I don't, unless I put cheese in it or something. But I also don't use dressing.
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Options
    Yep.
  • butterfli7o
    butterfli7o Posts: 1,319 Member
    Options
    I'll do a rough estimate for very low-calorie things like lettuce, carrots, cucumber, etc. But if there's avocado, cheese, meats, dressing, etc., it gets counted.
  • futuresize8
    futuresize8 Posts: 476 Member
    Options
    My question would be, why not count them? It's one or two clicks. If you're logging anyway, it seems like a no brainer to put it in. Also, if you are in it for the long haul, knowing exactly what you were doing at peak times of success can be VERY helpful. Without entering everything, you don't get a complete record.