Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Soy milk - Pros & Cons

Triathlete1502
Triathlete1502 Posts: 103 Member
1. Anyone would like to share their knowledge regarding benefits versus side effects of soy milk?

2. Any literature to back up your knowledge including dosage related studies?

Many thanks.

Replies

• jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    As compared to regular milk or almond milk?

Isoflavenes in soy are similar to estrogen. There are rat studies that suggest that they may interfere with fertility and puberty.

http://www.scientificamerican.com/article/soybean-fertility-hormone-isoflavones-genistein/

If true, I'll start guzzling it to reduce my menopause symptoms which are getting old fast.

Soy milk has more protein than almond milk which makes it closer to regular dairy.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    When you say "benefits," do you mean the benefits (if any) of replacing cow milk with soy milk? Or do you mean adding soy to the diet? Or something else?
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    How much milk is too much milk? I'd think it would be very hard to overdose on the stuff.

The RDA is 2-4 servings a day.

https://www.dairygoodness.ca/getenough/serving-sizes-tips?gclid=CLjGlY718MwCFVFgfgodfJ0HdQ
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    What's soy milk taste like? I'm assuming it's yuck, I haven't had the nerve to try it.
  • MissusMoon
    MissusMoon Posts: 1,900 Member
    What's soy milk taste like? I'm assuming it's yuck, I haven't had the nerve to try it.

I'm not a fan. Impossible to describe the taste. Not the worst thing in the world...just tastes wrong to me.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    MissusMoon wrote: »

I'm not a fan. Impossible to describe the taste. Not the worst thing in the world...just tastes wrong to me.

So nothing like cows milk? I can't even drink Almond milk straight, I have to mix it with regular milk.
  • RaeBeeBaby
    RaeBeeBaby Posts: 4,245 Member
    edited May 2016
    I avoid all food or drinks that contain soy, which is a bit tough because soy protein isolate, soybean oil and/or soy lecithin seems to be in just about all processed foods, including healthy nutrition bars, tuna fish, spaghetti sauce, and vitamin supplements. I read all labels very carefully!

Several of my health professionals (Western, Eastern and alternative medicine) have advised against it. Because it is an estrogen mimicker there are some who believe it can cause estrogen dominance, especially in women, with a subsequent greater risk of breast cancer.

Here's a list of some related studies:

http://www.westonaprice.org/health-topics/studies-showing-adverse-effects-of-dietary-soy-1939-2008/

Although the above list doesn't contain links to the actual studies, they are named and dated so could be researched individually is someone chooses to research further.

Also, although I know the jury is still out on GMO's, my understanding is that the vast majority of soybeans grown, processed and sold in the US are genetically modified. Based on my limited knowledge, I think it's just wise for me to not eat or drink it.
  • MissusMoon
    MissusMoon Posts: 1,900 Member

So nothing like cows milk? I can't even drink Almond milk straight, I have to mix it with regular milk.

The closest regular milk comparison I could make is the taste reminds me of that travesty called powdered milk. Almond milk tastes better in my opinion. I have no desire to give up dairy, I enjoy it, but if forced I'd choose almond over soy hands down.
  • OriginalBeauty83
    OriginalBeauty83 Posts: 6 Member
    There are different brands of soy milk and each one taste different. There a couple of nice ones, it is just a matter of trying them. It's like anything, you may like one cake but not another, it doesn't mean they are all taste bad or good.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    I like the boxed coconut milk for dairy substitutes, but I love coconut.

I keep meaning to make my own cashew milk, but that's going to be higher cal.
  • positivepowers
    positivepowers Posts: 902 Member

I've never liked cow's milk or goat's milk but I love unsweetened soy, almond and flax milk.
  • RaeBeeBaby
    RaeBeeBaby Posts: 4,245 Member
    RaeBeeBaby wrote: »

Also, although I know the jury is still out on GMO's, my understanding is that the vast majority of soybeans grown, processed and sold in the US are genetically modified. Based on my limited knowledge, I think it's just wise for me to not eat or drink it.

I don't have time to google the link, but the jury came in on GMO's and there is no cause for alarm.

Yes, well there is some concern that this particular jury (study) was biased. Consumer watch groups have alleged several committee members involved in the preparation of the recent "GMOs are safe report" either received research money from several biotech companies or they had direct ties to the biotech industry. Is the fox watching the henhouse? I believe the debate will go on for some time.

Of course people are free to eat whatever they choose. I personally try to consume as much of my own home-grown food as possible and avoid GMOs and foods that contain soy and soy by-products.
  • pfreeme
    pfreeme Posts: 42 Member
    Ive never been a milk drinker Ive used soy annut milks for years love them all watch out for sugar tho it can b high in flavored milks.
  • pebble4321
    pebble4321 Posts: 1,132 Member
    In my experience, soy milk costs more and tastes horrible.
    I don't have any issues digesting diary, so for me there is no benefit to using soy milk.
  • paulgads82
    paulgads82 Posts: 256 Member
    Soy Milk is gross. That's from someone who loves almond and hazelnut milk. It really is rotten.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member

I personally think soy milk has the least appealing taste of all the plant milks. I usually use it for baking or smoothies when I want a protein boost (because soy has much more protein than other plant milks). If I'm going to drink it by itself or use it for cereal/lattes, I will choose almond or cashew milk.

It does vary by brand, but there is a kind of "beany" taste with soy.
  • fr33sia12
    fr33sia12 Posts: 1,258 Member
    I love soya milk. The brand I drink costs the same as cow's milk. It's an acquired taste, it makes my porridge taste creamy without the fat of full fat milk, it has calcium and vitamin D, B2 and B12. I prefer it to almond and coconut milk (which is more expensive than Soya or cows milk)