Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Soy milk - Pros & Cons

Options

Replies

• MalcolmX1983
    MalcolmX1983 Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    Bros at the gym told me I'll turn into a woman.
    How true that is, I don't know.
    But I'm not willing to risk it.
    Almond milk for me please.
  • stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member
    Options
    MissusMoon wrote: »
    What's soy milk taste like? I'm assuming it's yuck, I haven't had the nerve to try it.

I'm not a fan. Impossible to describe the taste. Not the worst thing in the world...just tastes wrong to me.

So nothing like cows milk? I can't even drink Almond milk straight, I have to mix it with regular milk.

To me, it tastes (and smells) like baby formula. Not surprising since soy is a common ingredient in formula. The smell makes me nauseated, and the taste is even worse to me so I stay far away from soy milk.

That smell is the reason I tend to not like products with soy isolate, either. On the other hand, I do like tofu.
  • dopeysmelly
    dopeysmelly Posts: 1,390 Member
    Options
    fr33sia12 wrote: »
    I love soya milk. The brand I drink costs the same as cow's milk. It's an acquired taste, it makes my porridge taste creamy without the fat of full fat milk, it has calcium and vitamin D, B2 and B12. I prefer it to almond and coconut milk (which is more expensive than Soya or cows milk)

+1
  • salembambi
    salembambi Posts: 5,592 Member
    Options
    soy , almond and cashew milks are my faves they all taste sooo good i like rice milk too

cow milk smells like rotten sourness actually all dairy products smell that way
  • salembambi
    salembambi Posts: 5,592 Member
    Options
    What's soy milk taste like? I'm assuming it's yuck, I haven't had the nerve to try it.

I personally think soy milk has the least appealing taste of all the plant milks. I usually use it for baking or smoothies when I want a protein boost (because soy has much more protein than other plant milks). If I'm going to drink it by itself or use it for cereal/lattes, I will choose almond or cashew milk.

It does vary by brand, but there is a kind of "beany" taste with soy.

i actually love the beany taste , reminds me of edamame
  • enterdanger
    enterdanger Posts: 2,447 Member
    Options
    soy milk -cons.

I'm allergic to it.
    Tastes not good to me
    Expensive.
  • snikkins
    snikkins Posts: 1,282 Member
    Options
    I like vanilla soy milks. I'm not sure I've actually had just regular.
  • Triathlete1502
    Triathlete1502 Posts: 103 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    jgnatca wrote: »

1. As compared to regular milk or almond milk?

Based on its own merits and short falls as a milk product.

2. Isoflavenes in soy are similar to estrogen. There are rat studies that suggest that they may interfere with fertility and puberty.

http://www.scientificamerican.com/article/soybean-fertility-hormone-isoflavones-genistein/

If true, I'll start guzzling it to reduce my menopause symptoms which are getting old fast.

Yes, indeed. Henceforth, arose the various conflicting theories of benefits and adverse effects.

3. Soy milk has more protein than almond milk which makes it closer to regular dairy.

Absolutely! Soy milk is generally packed with a fair amount of protein.

Further, I've come across the following interesting articles whilst searching on pubmed:

a. An Updated Review of Dietary Isoflavones: Nutrition, Processing, Bioavailability and Impacts on Human Health.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/m/pubmed/26565435/?i=3&from=side effects of soy milk

b. Soy foods and supplementation: a review of commonly perceived health benefits and risks.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/m/pubmed/24473985/?i=5&from=/26565435/related

c. The effects of soy isoflavones on obesity.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/m/pubmed/18535167/?i=6&from=/26565435/related

• Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options

I LOVE it.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Options
    fr33sia12 wrote: »
    I love soya milk. The brand I drink costs the same as cow's milk. It's an acquired taste, it makes my porridge taste creamy without the fat of full fat milk, it has calcium and vitamin D, B2 and B12. I prefer it to almond and coconut milk (which is more expensive than Soya or cows milk)

+1

+1 more
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    edited May 2016
    Options
    RaeBeeBaby wrote: »
    I avoid all food or drinks that contain soy, which is a bit tough because soy protein isolate, soybean oil and/or soy lecithin seems to be in just about all processed foods, including healthy nutrition bars, tuna fish, spaghetti sauce, and vitamin supplements. I read all labels very carefully!

Several of my health professionals (Western, Eastern and alternative medicine) have advised against it. Because it is an estrogen mimicker there are some who believe it can cause estrogen dominance, especially in women, with a subsequent greater risk of breast cancer.

Here's a list of some related studies:

http://www.westonaprice.org/health-topics/studies-showing-adverse-effects-of-dietary-soy-1939-2008/

Although the above list doesn't contain links to the actual studies, they are named and dated so could be researched individually is someone chooses to research further.

Also, although I know the jury is still out on GMO's, my understanding is that the vast majority of soybeans grown, processed and sold in the US are genetically modified. Based on my limited knowledge, I think it's just wise for me to not eat or drink it.

For those who are concerned about the "estrogen" and "estrogen dominance" issues from consuming soy, I wonder: what of supermarket meat and dairy....

And, I'd be wary of using westonprice.org as the source. They have quite an agenda.

• Triathlete1502
    Triathlete1502 Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    When you say "benefits," do you mean the benefits (if any) of replacing cow milk with soy milk? Or do you mean adding soy to the diet? Or something else?

Uh not in comparison. Benefits of soy milk as a product.
  • solway190
    solway190 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Love soy, use 200g's unsweetened with 30g's vanilla flavoured protein shakes (and a pinch of cinnamon). Thats my go to breakfast and pre-workout meal deal. There are good cows and bad cows, the chemicals a dairy farmer pumps into his herd transfers into the fresh milk direct, no question about it.
  • tlflag1620
    tlflag1620 Posts: 1,358 Member
    Options
    I tolerate dairy very well, so I have no reason to drink soy or nut juice (no teat = not "milk"). I have gotten almond juice for my lactose intolerant husband and thought it tasted okay (he likes it on the rare occasion he eats cereal), but I'd never use it regularly. The cost alone is enough to turn me away. And it peeves me off that the popularity of nut juice (not so much soy juice tho) is driving up the price of almonds and cashews! It's crazytown :(. Not sure, but it also strikes me that these nut juices would be lower in fat, and possibly lower in protein, and higher in carbs than milk, so they don't line up with my dietary needs as well. Now, if I were allergic to dairy or lactose intolerant I suppose I would be glad to have some viable alternatives.
  • JShailen
    JShailen Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    I love the taste of soy milk but I do agree it varies by brand. In the UK the only brand I buy is alpro. The generic/supermarket brands taste awful.

I think almond milk is tasty but it's generally terrible for hot drinks and lacks protein.
  • rankinsect
    rankinsect Posts: 2,238 Member
    Options
    For those who are concerned about the "estrogen" and "estrogen dominance" issues from consuming soy, I wonder: what of supermarket meat and dairy....

The phytoestrogens in soy come in doses as much as ten million times higher than beef and dairy.

If you're a male eating hormone-treated beef, to raise your estrogen levels by 0.1% above the normal amount your body produces (aka to raise it by one part in 1000) you'd need to eat 2.25 pounds of beef per day. In typical amounts of consumption the hormonal effects of meat or dairy are negligible.

Soy is still up in the air - it's clear that it doesn't have as strong of an effect in humans that it does in other animals. In some it's a very serious reproductive inhibitor - which is, after all, the reason evolution produces phytoestrogens to begin with; they are chemical warfare against animal predation. That said, it definitely does bind to human estrogen receptors and definitely does alter estrogen signaling, so there are likely very real biological effects.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    edited May 2016
    Options
    rankinsect wrote: »

The phytoestrogens in soy come in doses as much as ten million times higher than beef and dairy.

If you're a male eating hormone-treated beef, to raise your estrogen levels by 0.1% above the normal amount your body produces (aka to raise it by one part in 1000) you'd need to eat 2.25 pounds of beef per day. In typical amounts of consumption the hormonal effects of meat or dairy are negligible.

Soy is still up in the air - it's clear that it doesn't have as strong of an effect in humans that it does in other animals. In some it's a very serious reproductive inhibitor - which is, after all, the reason evolution produces phytoestrogens to begin with; they are chemical warfare against animal predation. That said, it definitely does bind to human estrogen receptors and definitely does alter estrogen signaling, so there are likely very real biological effects.

I know there are biological effects. At least I'd assumed there were, given that virtually every menopause book tells us to eat MORE soy products (and other phytoestrogens) as they are thought to bind to the receptors with the end result that they lower estrogen (given that in menopause we have a relatively higher proportion of estrogen than progesterone. At least that's how I understand it.

With respect to cow products: I know there's less, but I don't know that the jury is "in" with respect to its effect on us. We know vegetarian children menstruate later than meat eating children, and we know that meat eating children are menstruating and developing much earlier than they used to but it's unclear why.
  • viren19890
    viren19890 Posts: 778 Member
    Options

I know there are biological effects. At least I'd assumed there were, given that virtually every menopause book tells us to eat MORE soy products (and other phytoestrogens) as they are thought to bind to the receptors with the end result that they lower estrogen (given that in menopause we have a relatively higher proportion of estrogen than progesterone. At least that's how I understand it.

With respect to cow products: I know there's less, but I don't know that the jury is "in" with respect to its effect on us. We know vegetarian children menstruate later than meat eating children, and we know that meat eating children are menstruating and developing much earlier than they used to but it's unclear why.

Isn't the general "claim" that in men it increases estrogen production?
    I made a whole thread about soy long time ago and two articles were posted regarding studies showing estrogen claim was unfounded.

Every time a thread pops up I get scared because some of my protein comes via soya made products. Milk is almond or coconut but protein is soy and tofu and rarely cottage cheese.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Options
    viren19890 wrote: »

Isn't the general "claim" that in men it increases estrogen production?
    I made a whole thread about soy long time ago and two articles were posted regarding studies showing estrogen claim was unfounded.

Every time a thread pops up I get scared because some of my protein comes via soya made products. Milk is almond or coconut but protein is soy and tofu and rarely cottage cheese.

The article linked above suggests that are conflicting results on studies of men.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/m/pubmed/24473985/?i=5&from=/26565435/related

as are the results of studies of animal products and estrogen

and the and the results of studies on estrogen in our drinking water.