• kimdawnhayden
    kimdawnhayden Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    I lift!
  • Loco_Beast
    Loco_Beast Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Arathels wrote: »
    I powerlift with two huge guys.. I lift heavy and I work hard.. Tell me, how manly am I? ;)

I don't think you're bulky...I personally believe that what ever a person chooses to do is their business, my only comment about being bulky was that a lot of women think they will get manly/bulk, from weight training. This is the myth I have tried to disprove to them. My hat is off to anyone who goes into the gym and works their *kitten* off.
  • mom23mangos
    mom23mangos Posts: 3,070 Member
    Options
    There are a ton of women on here who lift. However, I do have to say I only see a handful at the gym, but then again I go early in the morning when there are not a lot of people.
  • Loco_Beast
    Options
    I want to start! It's intimidating for someone new (at least to me personally). My gym keeps all their free weights under an "advanced training" area, so for a newbie, it is very scary to walk over there any try (the machine weights are what I have been doing so far). I also constantly worry that I'm going to get my form wrong or mess up in some way. I'm trying to get over that fear and just do it.

There are plenty of videos on YouTube, you can checkout AthleanX channel, he has great advice, and workouts. Not to mention other people who have channels on there, just remember we are all different, and an exercise that works for me may not be as beneficial to the next guy. Learn how your body responds to different exercises, this will take time, it's not going to happen over night. Best of luck..
  • Loco_Beast
    Options
    i'd love to start lifting properly but too embarrassed to go to the gym :blush:

We all started somewhere, nothing to be embarrassed about. You'll thanks yourself later. Good luck
  • mom22dogs
    mom22dogs Posts: 470 Member
    Options
    I lift, it's actually my main form of exercise since I'm disabled and need to do exercises sitting down. I have really strong arms because I walk with crutches, but they've gotten even stronger from weightlifting. I do dumb bells and weight machines. I've actually almost maxed out the weight on one of the machines for my lat pulldowns.

I always roll my eyes when women say they don't want to lift weights because they'll get bulky. If anything, my arms have gotten smaller from losing fat, but way more defined muscle.
  • dhimaan
    dhimaan Posts: 774 Member
    Options
    I usually workout at 2 30 or 3 am in the morning and there are females (a couple) lifting weights at that time. Now that's dedication.
  • refuseresist
    refuseresist Posts: 934 Member
    Options
    I rest between sets and log my reps on my phone, i'm not texting
  • kristysaurus
    kristysaurus Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    I lift 3-4 days per week. Have been since October. I attend classes that combine weight lifting followed by HIIT. It is mostly women in our classes which is awesome. I'm aiming to lose weight right now but lifting gives me more goals than just those on the scale
  • violetness
    violetness Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    MlleKelly wrote: »
    Every week, three times a week. I have a dumb bell rack and weight bench at home, so I'm hardly ever in the gym, but I push until the muscles fail.

It's true that lifting will change the composition of a woman's body, but for me that means a leaner appearance, more definition in my muscles, and a stronger, slimmer silhouette. The only reason I'm bulky is because I won't give up my cheeeeeeeeese!!!!

LOL I love cheese too! And I lift every day. It has accelerated my weight loss, and muscle is healthy!
  • StacyChrz
    StacyChrz Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    I've trained with weights off and on since my teens. I had to take some time off after an injury but I just started the Stronglifts 5x5 plan last week. I can't wait to see the changes that it is going to bring about for me.
  • aliciapastorlecha
    aliciapastorlecha Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    I work with weights. I am in my third round of Body Beast, and two days a week I powerlift too
  • sunflowerhippi
    sunflowerhippi Posts: 1,086 Member
    Options
    Here ya go.

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/977538/halp-heavy-lifting-made-me-supah-bulky/p1

And also we can do whatever we want on our rest periods between lifts. Sitting there for 2 minutes or so staring at a wall isn't fun. My phone tracks my lifts, my PR, my 1RMm and my rest time. So I will look at it if I damn well please.
  • BZAH10
    BZAH10 Posts: 5,709 Member
    Options
    I ditched cardio and took up lifting several years ago and have never felt better. I DO wish more women would lift but it seems to keep getting more and more popular among women. It just takes some self-education and learning proper form.
  • devil_in_a_blue_dress
    devil_in_a_blue_dress Posts: 5,214 Member
    Options
    I don't think you're going to find many women around here that are afraid of lifting weights.