• jayediggs729
    jayediggs729 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Im just getting into lifting.
  • Loco_Beast
    Loco_Beast Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Loco_Beast wrote: »
    Not claiming to be a guru or anything, but I have done my research. I have females in my gym ask me for advice a lot, and I think that's only because they see me in the gym and I actually workout the whole time I'm there, I'm not sitting on a piece of equipment texting or whatever. General opinion I hear is that they are afraid if they workout they will start to look "bulky" or "manly". This is so far from true, guess I'm just curious to how many women on here actually train with weights. Thanks, and good luck to all on your goals.

This is extraordinarily offensive.

1. Nobody is looking at you in the gym and changing their workout because of it. We don't actually give a fig about what you are doing. Unless you are extraordinarily smelly or in my way, I won't give you a second thought.
    2. Research...that word does not mean what you think it means.
    3. You don't have females at your gym, you have WOMEN. We are not animals.
    4. I would never, EVER sit on a piece of equipment and tie it up if I was not actually using it to work out. The implication that this is the role that women play at the gym is horrid.
    5. I am a woman. I learned to lift in my teens. Yes, I know what I am doing. Yes, I lift heavier than a lot of men, even ones half my age.
    6. Lots of women train with weights. Anybody who is not an idiot knows that it will not make us look manly or bulky.

The OP was a little eyeroll inducing but hardly that offensive.

I know plenty of otherwise intelligent women who do believe that heavy lifting makes you bulky. Just this afternoon I had a conversation with my massage therapist about it. She only recently came to learn that this was a myth.
    I'd consider your plast point more offensive than the OP.

I appreciate everyone's point of view, but I do want to say that by no means was I intending to be disrespectful, or "eye roll inducing" lol. I love working out, and enjoy learning about different types of fitness, the initial post wa genuinely to find out how many women workout with weights, and how they go about it, I enjoy helping people in general, and figured this would be a place to get perspective on helping some of the women in my local gym, I have no desire to be a personal trainer, only wanted some information or ideas to pass along to these women to help them on their goals. I appreciate everyone's post, and wish everyone the best of luck.
  • BodyByBex
    BodyByBex Posts: 3,685 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    CooCooPuff wrote: »
    The only reason I don't is because I don't have a home gym or a access to a decent gym. I'm stuck with bodyweight exercises at the moment.

The first thing I'd buy if I won the lottery right now would be a home gym and a treadmill to for summer running.

I just realized that unless you live in the South, this would make no sense to most people. :laugh:

ETA: I live in Bastrop, TX and I feel your pain.
  • BodyByBex
    Options
    I do. Mainly with my trainer because none of my friends lift..or even go to the gym. :neutral: I needs him to spot me. Ha.

The rest of the time (alone) I use the machines or do cardio. Trying to get ready for law enforcement academy. :s

Me too!
    I have found most places are heading toward a rowing machine for initial physical fitness evaluation, I hope you don't have to work that in too @therealklane. Because that darn thing is the bane of my existence right now. :confounded:
  • BodyByBex
    Options
    I lift heavy 5-6 days a week. Look how bulky and huge I got!! :p

20160523_140710_zps2zqj8mkr.jpg

Let me preface this by saying you look totally awesome and strong and as you can tell from my profile I have a lot of definition as well. And I don't want to derail this thread from the wonderful topic of getting more women lifting. But I'm going to play devil's advocate for a second. When people (mostly men when their ladies start lifting) say they don't want them to get too bulky, they are usually talking about visible definition of musculature. A lot of women (and men want their women) to be thin and toned without visible muscle definition, which they associate with being 'manly'. See the below comparison for example. I think there are plenty of people who would say that you (and I) are bulky and I wouldn't necessarily disagree to an extent.

1v11e3l54zkq.jpg

Your statement has some merit to it.

Bulky means different things to different people for sure.
  • nellie_579
    nellie_579 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I do weight training 3 times a week and my pb for deadlifts is 100kgs (about 220lbs)
    I am by no means muscley at all, just lean and toned.

I think the only way you would get 'bulky' is by also dramatically changing your diet.

I recommend hitting the weigts, i lose wieght more consistantly when i do!

(Was 140kg (308ish lbs) now 75kg(165ish lbs) )
  • Traveler120
    Traveler120 Posts: 712 Member
    Options

Let me preface this by saying you look totally awesome and strong and as you can tell from my profile I have a lot of definition as well. And I don't want to derail this thread from the wonderful topic of getting more women lifting. But I'm going to play devil's advocate for a second. When people (mostly men when their ladies start lifting) say they don't want them to get too bulky, they are usually talking about visible definition of musculature. A lot of women (and men want their women) to be thin and toned without visible muscle definition, which they associate with being 'manly'. See the below comparison for example. I think there are plenty of people who would say that you (and I) are bulky and I wouldn't necessarily disagree to an extent.

1v11e3l54zkq.jpg

Agreed, and to me, the girl in the green undies DOES have bulky arms. I find them indistinguishable from a guy's. In fact if you'd photoshop a guy's face and clothing, she would pass for a guy. As much as I'd like more definition on my biceps, I find this a bulkier/manlier look. She still looks good though.

As for the 15% photo, the girl on the left DOES have bulky/manly thighs. Personally, I wouldn't want that.
  • tinywonder25
    tinywonder25 Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    This time last year I was doing a pretty intense weight lifting program from tnation 6 days a week lifting heavy (I'm 4"11 and was 108ish lbs and squatting 115 or so). I was not counting calories and in 6 weeks I put on 6 lbs including 4% bodyfat. I pretty much freaked the eff out and stopped all training and decided to get my hormones back in balance (I was still nursing my daughter) and get my diet under control. This February I started MFP CICO and cardio only. I lost 15 lbs. Now I've started adding light weights (20-30lbs) 2x a week and keeping my cardio the same. I'm starting to see that toned look that I want. I'd like to go back to fun lifting someday because I got such a high out of feeling stronger. I don't fear getting bulky as in too much visible muscle but I do fear the fat gain that comes along with trying to feed muscle growth which is why people who compete are constantly on the build/cut cycle. I don't think I want to be on the merry-go-round. For now I'm happy doing my little routine and getting my results.
  • ElizabethOakes2
    ElizabethOakes2 Posts: 1,038 Member
    Options
    I hate lifting. And I hate going to the gym. I also have spinal issues that dictate how much and what muscles I lift with.
    BUT I also really don't want to be a shriveled weak osteoarthritic old lady whose bones snap like twigs someday. So, I have weights at home and I lift while watching TV. I think a lot of women get warned about 'being bulky' or 'looking like a man', but you know, you don't have to lift to that point. Lift with increasing reps and weights until you're happy with how your musculature looks, and then maintain the muscle mass you have. :) It's all about taking care of yourself.
  • leahnadeau52
    leahnadeau52 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I just started using weights and can already see a big difference in my arms and upper stomach. Last night I used weights on my legs and thighs for the first time.
  • smileymaxine
    smileymaxine Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    Measurements
    29th feb - 25th may
    Waist 74cm - 69cm
    Hips 94cm - 88cm
    Stomach 86cm - 75cm
    Thighs 59cm 56cm
    Clearly weight lifting makes you bulky and eating over 1200 will make you fat

Don't have progress photo from start too now but three week difference without really focusing on cals ... So bulky and manly omg
    gxeavt33sudz.jpeg

• chocolate_owl
    chocolate_owl Posts: 1,695 Member
    Options

Since it's been brought up that some women might find this bulky, this is a friendly PSA to women thinking about lifting but not interested in this particular aesthetic:

This woman put in a TON of hard work to get to this point. She didn't go in the gym, curl a couple of 10 lb dumbbells, and walk out with bulging biceps. To get the mass and definition that have been shown in a couple of examples in this thread, you have to be consistent, eat to gain muscle, and be on a lifting program that supports those goals. It takes a lot of work and time, and you won't get that appearance unless you intentionally do so.

Lifting has so many health benefits, and you can use strength training to get the kind of figure you desire. It's definitely worth doing.
  • wishfuljune
    wishfuljune Posts: 2,571 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    This time last year I was doing a pretty intense weight lifting program from tnation 6 days a week lifting heavy (I'm 4"11 and was 108ish lbs and squatting 115 or so). I was not counting calories and in 6 weeks I put on 6 lbs including 4% bodyfat. I pretty much freaked the eff out and stopped all training and decided to get my hormones back in balance (I was still nursing my daughter) and get my diet under control. This February I started MFP CICO and cardio only. I lost 15 lbs. Now I've started adding light weights (20-30lbs) 2x a week and keeping my cardio the same. I'm starting to see that toned look that I want. I'd like to go back to fun lifting someday because I got such a high out of feeling stronger. I don't fear getting bulky as in too much visible muscle but I do fear the fat gain that comes along with trying to feed muscle growth which is why people who compete are constantly on the build/cut cycle. I don't think I want to be on the merry-go-round. For now I'm happy doing my little routine and getting my results.

Wait -- you weren't counting calories in 6 weeks, and you put on 6lb and 4% bodyfat, but you blame weight-lifting?

I lift 3 times a week and run 3 times a week. I enjoy the balance between strength training (and I do heavy lifting -- barbell squats/front squats, deadlifts, bench presses, pull-ups, etc) and I am training for a 10K now. I've lost about 20lb so far, but I've lost a significant amount in inches off my body (last time I checked, it was over 20 inches off my total frame) in about 5 months. My bodyfat percentage has gone down tremendously in that time since I started seriously weight-lifting. I look better now at 185lb than I did a couple years ago when my only exercise was the elliptical. I'm 100% pro weight-lifting.
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    Not claiming to be a guru or anything, but I have done my research. I have females in my gym ask me for advice a lot, and I think that's only because they see me in the gym and I actually workout the whole time I'm there, I'm not sitting on a piece of equipment texting or whatever. General opinion I hear is that they are afraid if they workout they will start to look "bulky" or "manly". This is so far from true, guess I'm just curious to how many women on here actually train with weights. Thanks, and good luck to all on your goals.

This is extraordinarily offensive.

1. Nobody is looking at you in the gym and changing their workout because of it. We don't actually give a fig about what you are doing. Unless you are extraordinarily smelly or in my way, I won't give you a second thought.
    2. Research...that word does not mean what you think it means.
    3. You don't have females at your gym, you have WOMEN. We are not animals.
    4. I would never, EVER sit on a piece of equipment and tie it up if I was not actually using it to work out. The implication that this is the role that women play at the gym is horrid.
    5. I am a woman. I learned to lift in my teens. Yes, I know what I am doing. Yes, I lift heavier than a lot of men, even ones half my age.
    6. Lots of women train with weights. Anybody who is not an idiot knows that it will not make us look manly or bulky.

The OP was a little eyeroll inducing but hardly that offensive.

I know plenty of otherwise intelligent women who do believe that heavy lifting makes you bulky. Just this afternoon I had a conversation with my massage therapist about it. She only recently came to learn that this was a myth.
    I'd consider your plast point more offensive than the OP.

I appreciate everyone's point of view, but I do want to say that by no means was I intending to be disrespectful, or "eye roll inducing" lol. I love working out, and enjoy learning about different types of fitness, the initial post wa genuinely to find out how many women workout with weights, and how they go about it, I enjoy helping people in general, and figured this would be a place to get perspective on helping some of the women in my local gym, I have no desire to be a personal trainer, only wanted some information or ideas to pass along to these women to help them on their goals. I appreciate everyone's post, and wish everyone the best of luck.

I understand where you were coming from. It's just some of these "women should lift heavy" posts sometimes come off condescending. Not necessarily in this case but that type of thread often causes eyerolls.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options

Since it's been brought up that some women might find this bulky, this is a friendly PSA to women thinking about lifting but not interested in this particular aesthetic:

This woman put in a TON of hard work to get to this point. She didn't go in the gym, curl a couple of 10 lb dumbbells, and walk out with bulging biceps. To get the mass and definition that have been shown in a couple of examples in this thread, you have to be consistent, eat to gain muscle, and be on a lifting program that supports those goals. It takes a lot of work and time, and you won't get that appearance unless you intentionally do so.

Lifting has so many health benefits, and you can use strength training to get the kind of figure you desire. It's definitely worth doing.

Exactly....and she is flexing.

1v11e3l54zkq.jpg

and for this one...the woman on the left is in a competition and I bet she doesn't look like that on a "normal" day.

I've been lifting for 3 years...I am not bulky...if I flex you see the muscle. If I am carrying something etc you see it.

• SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    I do weights 3 to 4 days a week, and I dont see any difference. I do want my arms to get firm. Is there something safe out there I could also add to my diet to gain muscle?

Yes it's called extra food. To build muscle you need to be in a calorie surplus of maintenance and doing a progressive load lifting program.

But as you build muscle you gain muscle and fat which means the scale goes up...are you prepared for that?
  • Traveler120
    Traveler120 Posts: 712 Member
    Options
    Measurements
    29th feb - 25th may
    Waist 74cm - 69cm
    Hips 94cm - 88cm
    Stomach 86cm - 75cm
    Thighs 59cm 56cm
    Clearly weight lifting makes you bulky and eating over 1200 will make you fat

Don't have progress photo from start too now but three week difference without really focusing on cals ... So bulky and manly omg
    gxeavt33sudz.jpeg
    I don't think this is what women think of bulky, or even the result of lifting, considering there's no definition really. You'd have to have clearly pronounced musculature and some size to be considered manly looking. This just looks like a normal body fat level of a woman of normal/healthy weight.
  • Angelajgay11
    Angelajgay11 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    i'd love to start lifting properly but too embarrassed to go to the gym :blush:

Try a BBOD workout like Chalene Extreme. It's "heavy" weights meaning you lift as heavy as you can to fail within a certain # of reps (changes with each phase). And you can do it at home with some basic dumbells. If you've never lifted you'd be ok with 3-15 lbs. The max I do now is 25. I'm doing it now and I LOVE it. I can see a big difference in my strength and I'm definitely getting leaner and not bulky :)
  • Dannigreen31
    Dannigreen31 Posts: 557 Member
    Options
    Yes I do. Not bulked at all! Better for toning than working my *kitten* off on treadmill
  • Dannigreen31
    Dannigreen31 Posts: 557 Member
    Options
    Kitten aha