worst gym dude of all time?

Options

Replies

• sparklybelle
    sparklybelle Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Thanks everybody! I also agree it's not my job to re-train manbabies, but my more together self would have said something. When I walked off the other guys were all staring like they were hoping I'd put the guy in his place (he probably bugs everybody). I really was in shock, and to be honest my only thought was that this guy is going to get me injured -- either throwing a weight on my foot or throwing out my back in my squat -- so I just wanted to go.
    JoRocka's story is just horrible. I'm sorry that happened.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    Thanks everybody! I also agree it's not my job to re-train manbabies, but my more together self would have said something. When I walked off the other guys were all staring like they were hoping I'd put the guy in his place (he probably bugs everybody). I really was in shock, and to be honest my only thought was that this guy is going to get me injured -- either throwing a weight on my foot or throwing out my back in my squat -- so I just wanted to go.
    JoRocka's story is just horrible. I'm sorry that happened.
    no worries- handled it- and now I don't have to talk to him ;)

Throwing plates is bad- and dangerous- and if you're squatting- at no point should anyone be bothering you while you're squatting- that's bad.
    Distracting someone with a heavy *kitten* squat is downright dangerous. - and I would absolutely call him on it- just. SO.BAD.
  • kwtilbury
    kwtilbury Posts: 1,234 Member
    Options
    Bry_Lander wrote: »
    My worst gym person is the guy who goes straight from the bathroom stall to the bathroom door without washing his hands, I have caught him doing it a few times. So then he goes out and uses the equipment afterwards, disgusting.

I have complained to the gym several times and I think that they are afraid to do something. I am hesitant to say anything to him directly because I leave my work clothes hanging out in the open in the locker room (the lockers are too small to hang things up) and he seems like the type that would do something shady in retaliation. So I pretty much squirt hand gel on my hands between sets, it a great f*cking situation, just because of one degenerate.

That's just disgusting, period.

You'd be surprised at the number of guys who don't wash their hands after to going to bathroom, or just simply running water over them for a few seconds. (maybe they're trying to drown the germs?)
  • Sassie_Lassie
    Sassie_Lassie Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    kwtilbury wrote: »
    My worst gym person is the guy who goes straight from the bathroom stall to the bathroom door without washing his hands, I have caught him doing it a few times. So then he goes out and uses the equipment afterwards, disgusting.

I have complained to the gym several times and I think that they are afraid to do something. I am hesitant to say anything to him directly because I leave my work clothes hanging out in the open in the locker room (the lockers are too small to hang things up) and he seems like the type that would do something shady in retaliation. So I pretty much squirt hand gel on my hands between sets, it a great f*cking situation, just because of one degenerate.

You'd be surprised at the number of guys who don't wash their hands after to going to bathroom, or just simply running water over them for a few seconds. (maybe they're trying to drown the germs?)

No I wouldn't. I've seen my share of women who don't wash their hands.
  • suzyjane1972
    suzyjane1972 Posts: 612 Member
    Options
    kwtilbury wrote: »

No I wouldn't. I've seen my share of women who don't wash their hands.

There's a lass in out office that runs her hands under the tap then fluffs her hair with her damp hands. ...or even worse swill her face ....balk
  • Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options

The guy who walks right past the sink to the weight room after a major transaction has a bunch of clones I see the gross dudes doing it all the time

Not uncommon.
  • deluxmary2000
    deluxmary2000 Posts: 981 Member
    Options
    Good lord - where do you all work out?!? I have never seen anyone be anything but completely polite and respectful in both the cardio and free weight areas of my gym. Maybe because I go at 5:30 am when everyone is still a zombie??
    Regardless, I'm sorry that happened to you. I would like to THINK that I would have said something and put that guy in his place, but in reality I probably would have also been so shocked that I would have just walked away. Don't worry about your lack of response. If it happens again, you can try to be more forceful (or report him).
  • Bry_Fitness70
    Bry_Fitness70 Posts: 2,480 Member
    Options
    Good lord - where do you all work out?!? I have never seen anyone be anything but completely polite and respectful in both the cardio and free weight areas of my gym. Maybe because I go at 5:30 am when everyone is still a zombie??
    Regardless, I'm sorry that happened to you. I would like to THINK that I would have said something and put that guy in his place, but in reality I probably would have also been so shocked that I would have just walked away. Don't worry about your lack of response. If it happens again, you can try to be more forceful (or report him).

I can't recommend the early morning gym environment highly enough. I usually always work out at 5am, as there are far less assclowns who are willing to get up at ungodly hours to wake up. The number of people there doesn't really fluctuate with the New Year's resolution crowd, either.
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    JaneSnowe wrote: »
    Villae81 wrote: »
    DavPul wrote: »
    aub6689 wrote: »
    I like to believe I would have said something to him, but I would have probably reacted the same way.

The only time I was truly angry at the gym is when a guy decided to squeeze my arm during shoulder press. Almost lost it. Even then, I smiled politely while I continued with my set.

You don't have to be angry. Or confrontational. Just use your words.

"Stop."

Or

"Please stop" if that makes you feel more polite.

Personally, I go with, "I'm going to need you to stop". Usually any of these is enough to get a petulant ahole to cut it out. If they continue to be an *kitten* or get in your face after that, then go get help. But you can't reward their behavior by giving them what they want when they act out.

With all due respect, you're really not in a position to tell women how to react to men until you've spent a day in a woman's shoes.

Women get killed or beat for telling a man "no". I don't blame her for trying to avoid a confrontation.

What country is that?

Apparently the UK
    http://informoverload.com/woman-beat-up-for-telling-a-man-to-stop-groping-her/

And the USA
    http://madamenoire.com/594447/female-comic-brutally-beaten-after-rejecting-mens-advances/

There's a grain of truth to the line that a man's greatest fear on a blind date is that she'll be fat, whereas a woman's greatest fear is that he'll kill her.

I don't think anyone is saying women are never assaulted. What they're saying is, it is statistically zero probability that addressing an *kitten* in the gym will lead to an assault. It simply does not happen at any greater degree than an otherwise random assault.

(And given the likely number of presumably decent people in the vicinity, is likely the best place to confront it.)
  • JaneSnowe
    JaneSnowe Posts: 1,283 Member
    Options
    I like to believe I would have said something to him, but I would have probably reacted the same way.

The only time I was truly angry at the gym is when a guy decided to squeeze my arm during shoulder press. Almost lost it. Even then, I smiled politely while I continued with my set.

"Stop."

Or

Personally, I go with, "I'm going to need you to stop". Usually any of these is enough to get a petulant ahole to cut it out. If they continue to be an *kitten* or get in your face after that, then go get help. But you can't reward their behavior by giving them what they want when they act out.

With all due respect, you're really not in a position to tell women how to react to men until you've spent a day in a woman's shoes.

Women get killed or beat for telling a man "no". I don't blame her for trying to avoid a confrontation.

What country is that?

Apparently the UK

And the USA
    http://madamenoire.com/594447/female-comic-brutally-beaten-after-rejecting-mens-advances/

There's a grain of truth to the line that a man's greatest fear on a blind date is that she'll be fat, whereas a woman's greatest fear is that he'll kill her.

Edit:

Here's some more for you:

http://madamenoire.com/476135/man-kills-detroit-mother-of-three-after-she-rejected-his-advances/

http://gawker.com/woman-publicly-shames-man-who-beat-her-up-after-she-rej-1487413297

http://jezebel.com/man-viciously-attacks-woman-for-refusing-to-give-him-he-1666424378

http://nymag.com/thecut/2015/06/nyc-man-attacked-asian-women-for-rejecting-him.html#
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    jofjltncb6 wrote: »

"Stop."

Or

What country is that?

Apparently the UK

And the USA

I don't think anyone is saying women are never assaulted. What they're saying is, it is statistically zero probability that addressing an *kitten* in the gym will lead to an assault. It simply does not happen at any greater degree than an otherwise random assault.

(And given the likely number of presumably decent people in the vicinity, is likely the best place to confront it.)

ehh, luckily i feel overconfident i think because of years of krav maga and self defense but i think it's pretty easy for women to feel uncomfortable or overwhelmed when there's such a huge disparity of force. I know it's the reason i started krav to begin with (was robbed by big scary dude, have almost been sexually assaulted by a man at a bar, had a guy follow me home in his car, etc.)

So i'd have to agree with Jane Snowe's "Women are acutely aware of the threat of assault in a way that most men never think about."

I just don't think it means we should be pushovers or let people walk over us because of our fears. Not all men are monsters and the ones that are *kitten* are almost never challenged. Sometimes just by challenging someone it throws them off.
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    jofjltncb6 wrote: »

"Stop."

Or

What country is that?

Apparently the UK

And the USA

What @villae81 wanted to know was in what part of the world are women killed or beaten for telling a man No. It happens in developed nations and if it can happen at a fun fair in the UK it can definitely happen in a gym with an angry and entitled man. Women are acutely aware of the threat of assault in a way that most men never think about.

Edit: I'm not saying that all women will cower when in a confrontation, @rainbowbow gives a good example of holding her own. But if OP, in her situation and at that point in time decided to leave the area, then that was the right decision *for her at the time she was faced with it.* She can still report him, but as already stated, it's not her job to teach him his place, especially since he was acting entitled and aggressive.

If men are victims of assault more frequently than women in confrontations such as this, then is her gender actually a factor in the equation of whether or not to confront?
  • JeffS435
    JeffS435 Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    not only is this guy an idiot, but also unsafe. Throwing weighs around like that or causing you to be off balance could cause you to sprain or have a muscle strain or worse. I would report him immediately and let the gym people know this is unacceptable. If it was me, I would make the gym so sorry for this they would give me a free month or two as an apology.
  • str8bowbabe
    str8bowbabe Posts: 712 Member
    Options
    Sounds to me like he got what he wanted...the squat rack to himself. He was just a royal pain in the ars but he got what he wanted. Let him try that with the wrong person and see what happens.