Frustrated With Outside Opinions

Options
13»

Replies

• SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,943 Member
    Options
    akamran1 wrote: »
    just dropping this here before tip-toeing away... ;)
    0s9z909i9lzf.jpg

That cat needs to trade that apple in for a pizza!
  • stephinator92
    stephinator92 Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    I will never forget the day I received a phone call (at 11 years old) from my grandmother informing me that

1. I should eat cheerios instead of pizza
    2. My sister had back fat

People will always give you unwanted advice because they all know better than you do (according to them). You've got a few choices: suck it up and say nothing and get upset, tell them you're not interested in talking about your diet, tell them it's none of your business, or simply don't talk to those people about dieting.

Your progress is amazing and you will keep going! Ignore the haters and continue being fabulous :)
  • JaneSnowe
    JaneSnowe Posts: 1,283 Member
    Options
    I will never forget the day I received a phone call (at 11 years old) from my grandmother informing me that

1. I should eat cheerios instead of pizza
    2. My sister had back fat

People will always give you unwanted advice because they all know better than you do (according to them). You've got a few choices: suck it up and say nothing and get upset, tell them you're not interested in talking about your diet, tell them it's none of your business, or simply don't talk to those people about dieting.

Your progress is amazing and you will keep going! Ignore the haters and continue being fabulous :)

That's terrible! I'm sorry your grandmother did that. I'm sure she had your best interests at heart--I hope anyway--but there's much better ways to show it or to support a preteen.
  • RosieRose7673
    RosieRose7673 Posts: 438 Member
    Options
    My mother in law and sister in law come up in my house bickering in front of me about why I shouldn't be lifting weights. (My bench is in my dining room). So mother in law says I shouldn't be trying to lift the heavy weights because "I'm no man", and men like ladies" :o

Sister in law says She doesn't even believe I know what to do with "those things? (The weights). I'm just standing there baffled as to who asked them anything? My mil is petite probably around 4 ft 11, 105-110 pounds.

I had enough of their foolishness so I stood by mother in law bent down and grabbed her by the legs and squatted. She starts hollering to put her down and am I crazy?

I put her down so she could get her breath and continue "clutching her pearls" lmao! Sister in law stood there trying to console her mom whilst telling me I should stop showing off.

They left me alone for the rest of their visit and stfu about the weights. :D

Oh my goodness! That's amazing!!! :smiley:
  • CoffeeNCardio
    CoffeeNCardio Posts: 1,847 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    I like to take the skeptic's route. Memorize the following question:

"Really? How do you know that?"

1. It forces them to reveal that they haven't got their information from reliable sources (or at least opens their sources up for you to question, like "Parenting Magazine is not reliable for health and wellness information mom"), and you can point that out to them if you so desire.

2. If they have no source (which is my guess, cause people LOVE to talk but don't love to research) continue repeating the aforementioned question until someone's eyes bleed. Or feel free to educate them on why it's not a great idea believing things they just heard somewhere for which there is no evidence or for which they personally have not sought evidence. If you don't feel like being that antagonistic, you can always just not respond to whatever nonsense they come up with to defend their zero evidence belief that pizza causes inability to lose weight. Chances are, they will know without you saying it aloud that they sound ridiculous trying to explain that.

3. It's a really non-antagonistic (if you don't antagonize after asking the question like in steps one or two) way of challenging what they are telling you without challenging them on a personal level. You can just ask the question, say "Oh, hmmmm..." to whatever their response is and walk away. 90% of the time, they won't offer you unsolicited advice again because now they're afraid you'll ask them to back it up and they know darn well they can't, and no one on the planet *wants* to look stupid.

ETA:

4. In all due fairness to the people making the claim, the question may also lead to a really good answer. You could learn something. It's not automatically gonna turn out negative
  • bellabonbons
    bellabonbons Posts: 705 Member
    Options
    Those who are making the comments are uneducated and very discourteous. Actually you know what you're doing, stick to the plan, and just put those comments on ignore. Keep up the great work don't let the comments get you down.
  • megomerrett
    megomerrett Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    Smile and nod, and stay smug in the knowledge that you know what you're doing.
  • megomerrett
    megomerrett Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    Smile and nod, and stay smug in the knowledge that you know what you're doing.
  • BrooklynApple88
    BrooklynApple88 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    Thanks, everyone! I just have to focus.
  • Wophie
    Wophie Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    Colleagues do that to me, but not for eating pizza, for eating salads! I'm constantly made fun off and told to "eat proper food". I used to let it get to me but now I just pity them.
  • sallygroundhog
    sallygroundhog Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    My mother in law and sister in law come up in my house bickering in front of me about why I shouldn't be lifting weights. (My bench is in my dining room). So mother in law says I shouldn't be trying to lift the heavy weights because "I'm no man", and men like ladies" :o

Sister in law says She doesn't even believe I know what to do with "those things? (The weights). I'm just standing there baffled as to who asked them anything? My mil is petite probably around 4 ft 11, 105-110 pounds.

I had enough of their foolishness so I stood by mother in law bent down and grabbed her by the legs and squatted. She starts hollering to put her down and am I crazy?

I put her down so she could get her breath and continue "clutching her pearls" lmao! Sister in law stood there trying to console her mom whilst telling me I should stop showing off.

They left me alone for the rest of their visit and stfu about the weights. :D

You are my hero! :smiley:
  • Jazzykatt
    Jazzykatt Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I work very hard at losing and maintaining my weight. I'm always criticized at work for not eating the bagels, pizza or other junk lying around. They say "you're skinny so you can eat it". What they don't understand is that it doesn't fit into my calorie goals and that i work out and monitor my calorie intake. I bank my calories to enjoy those foods on the weekend when I'm being social. I don't want to waste them for work. I'm not naturally thin and have to work at staying my size.
  • dbhDeb
    dbhDeb Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    laugh all the way to the scales baby! you are doing great!
  • MsBuzzkillington
    MsBuzzkillington Posts: 171 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    This is proof of how much misinformation is spread throughout the weight loss and diet industry. It's unfortunate that so many people believe you have to cut out all these foods in order to lose weight. People believe there's no other way to lose weight other than to deprive yourself of the foods you enjoy and to eat as little as possible.

If we could spread better information and get more people to believe it, more people would be successful in losing weight and less people would give up when it's too hard and "nothing works".
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    Cutemesoon wrote: »
    "I see that what you're doing is succeeding. Let me tell you why it's wrong and you should do it some other way."

Honestly, I'd only go down the "education" route if people are genuinely interested. If they're just lecturing you and it's getting up your nose, try and change the subject.

If people haven't been successful with weight loss, what makes them think they are qualified to give you advice???Someone had the nerve to tell me that I should stop losing weight. They said they observed the way I eat, then proceed to tell me how I should eat. BTW, it was a guy and he looked about 6 months pregnant.

In those situations, the appropriate answer is "If I wanted to look like you, I'd eat like you".