Drunk snacking?

Options

Replies

• SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options
    Buy those mini bags of chips and just leave one out on the table for when you get home. Or like others said, try going to bed first. You'll probably pass out pretty quick.
  • Mia_RagazzaTosta
    Mia_RagazzaTosta Posts: 4,885 Member
    Options
    quesadillas is my snack of choice.

Three ingredients: tortillas, grated cheese and chopped spring onions.

Heat a frying pan and place one tortilla in the bottom (no oil or anything). Sprinkle on your cheese (I would pre-grate it when you're sober to save your fingers and pre-measure the quanity) and the spring onions. Place the second tortilla on top.

Allow to melt and when the bottom tortilla is toasted, flip it over to toast the other side. I've heard you can nuke these as well, but I prefer them toasted.

One quesadilla should feed two people. If it's just you, then cut the tortilla in half before toasting.

Calories depending on tortillas and brand/quantity of cheese used.

Sounds good...but should most drunk people be working with an open flame?

My thoughts EXACTLY!
  • snowboardandasuitcase
    snowboardandasuitcase Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    seriously tho, for a drunk snack you can't beat cheesey chips or poutine :love: :drinker:

POUTINE!!!!! HOW many times have I woken up with a half-eaten pile of poutine? Ahhh the Canadian way.

Obviously, with the whole "quit drinking" thing is pretty straight forward, but let's be honest, probably not what you're looking for. SO if you live on your own, I'd recommend popcorn, cause it's kinda like chips and just plain old delicious, but if you live with roommates, I'm going to suggest you give this a miss--the number of times I woke my roommates up by making popcorn on the stove and smashing the pot around... just outrageous!

OR you could just make friends with the guys at the local pizza place, and have them prep a healthier version of your fav for when you stumble in! :wink:

Classic thread, either way! :bigsmile:
  • freemystery
    freemystery Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    Not to be rude or judgey but may I ask why you get drunk so regularly? Also is it just that you drink or do you actually get drunk-drunk?

I ask because there's the sort of drinking where you have one or two glasses of wine with your meal and you might feel tipsy but you have your wits about you so even though your judgment may not be its best, a post it note on the fridge might be all it takes for sober-you to remind tipsy-you to not start gnawing on the cheese/ toasting a whole loaf of bread slice by slice.
    On the other hand there is DRUNK, can't stand up, waking up with mystery injuries, no recollection of last night but there's a lot of fast food packaging on the coffee table. Sober-you is no match for this drunk-you so I guess I'd start with easing up on quantity/ frequency. You know you're more impulsive when you drink, why put yourself in that place?

This comes from experience of living with somebody at college who would eat half a can of pinto beans in the day (straight from the can... classy!) then go out at night, get roaring drunk, eat half the city, wake up full of remorse and tell herself that in penance she would only eat half a can of pinto beans ALL DAY and because she'd been so good, go out at night because she's young and lively and she'd been SOOOO good all day... and so it continued
  • snowboardandasuitcase
    snowboardandasuitcase Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    Thank you so much for these suggestions—you're the only one who didn't tell me to stop drinking.

Jeez people! What happened to the whole "support" thing? I like to get drunk sometimes! I only drink Friday & Saturday nights. Wasn't asking for your judgments. :drinker:

So you only want advice that coincides with what you've already decided to do and you only want to hear opinions that you approve of.

OK, since you've already consumed copious amounts of calories via the alcohol, dehydrated yourself, and significantly damaged your liver by binge drinking 104 days per year, I say what the hell does it matter if you eat half a pizza and an entire cheesecake? Eating some grilled chicken and green beans isn't going to matter at that point. Seriously.

Did you actually read OP's actual post? Did anybody? I can see where the incessant "STOP DRINKING SMH WTF" posts would have some validity if she came on here and said "hey, I need support because I drink TOO MUCH." She said what do you people who do drink do when you get the munchies. PERIOD. She didn't ask for a forum full of self-righteous a-holes to read into her post and give her feedback on her lifestyle. She asked for snack ideas. The rest of you high-and-mighty take-your-shirt-off-at-the-gym-and-snap-a-selfie d-bags are the ones who took it upon yourselves to ignore the question and use your couch/internet learned psychobabble to belittle the OP. So, unless you have an answer to her original question, I suggest STFU and get back to your own life. ****.

hahahaha!! you're amazing, totally agree :drinker: (yes everyone, that smiley is holding beer.)
  • KANGOOJUMPS
    KANGOOJUMPS Posts: 6,473 Member
    Options
    HILARIOUS!!,,,, EAT DRINK AND BE MERRY!
    BOOZE HOUNDS ADD ME!
  • MrsScheidt
    MrsScheidt Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    I gained a lot of weight after I turned 21 because going to the bar 3 times/ week resulted in a lot of drunk eating! Needless to say, I burned myself out on the bar scene REAL fast and now I may have a drink 2 or 3 times a month and that's it. I can't remember the last time I was DRUNK.

I agree with the others, there's not much you can do because your body is craving the bad stuff and alcohol lowers your inhibitions. You're going to go for the bad stuff regardless. Good luck to you!
  • TribeHokie
    TribeHokie Posts: 711 Member
    Options
    The post title describes how I got chunky er, fat and pretty much a good stretch of my 20's. I don't know how many nights my friends and I would hit up Perkins after the bars. Something about drinking brings out the munchies monster.

True statement. I'm pretty sure at least half of my 40ish lb gain in the past couple years of heavy drinking was because of the drunk noms, not the alcohol.

I'd try to have some healthier versions of stuff you like prepared in your fridge for when you get home. I think someone mentioned pre-portioning certain things, so like you could have pizza fixings waiting for you - some sort of 100 calorie crust (I like bagel thins for this), 100 calories of grated cheese, tomato sauce is pretty much guilt free, slap that together and you've got a sub 300 calorie pizza. I made a turkey burger the other day with 4oz of 95% lean ground turkey, a tablespoon of bbq sauce, some salt and pepper and garlic powder, and then used two toasted slices of Nature's Own instead of a bun and a slice of skim american cheese. ~250-300 calorie burger and it totally satisfied my bbq AND burger craving. You would just need to maybe have the patty cooked before hand depending on how much work you want to do.

And in general, to echo a bunch of people who have replied to your question, build in the calorie cushion on days that you know you're going to drink so it has less of an impact. And DRINK WATER!! I am always a pound or two lighter the day after a big night because I'm so dehydrated, and then I get frustrated when the scale goes up a couple pounds after I normalize.
  • sarah307
    sarah307 Posts: 1,363 Member
    Options
    I can totally relate and have been struggling with how to balance my drinking life with my weight loss goals! Recently, I have been drinking less and dancing more when I go out with my friends!! At first, I thought - wow, if I have to sit at home and be boring to lose weight, then that is stupid!! But I have not stopped going out at all.. just started drinking less! I don't think people are judging you on here.. they are just offering advice that if you drink less, then you will drunk snack less!! But if you don't want to drink less, then don't! Just enjoy life and have fun and do whatever you want :) just know that it will be more difficult to lose weight that way and there will be consequences. If I am in need of a drunk snack.. I allow myself something (not ten things.. one thing!) and then try to be done with it! (and yes, I log my pre planned drinks and snacks before I go out to the bar!!) Then I dance a lot to burn some extra calories ;) good luck! you can add me as a friend!
  • SonicDeathMonkey80
    SonicDeathMonkey80 Posts: 4,489 Member
    Options
    I got drunk once and ate an entire box of truffles to the tune of about 4000 calories. I was really drunk and guess I got caught up in the moment. I'm not the best person to give advice because I go straight for the calorie bombs.
  • LB2812
    LB2812 Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    I think it depends... if you're getting "drunk-drunk"... then I doubt there's much help... the key in that case might just be cutting back on the alcohol a bit to begin with. If you're more-so just "tipsy-drunk".... then you might be able to stop yourself from committing too much damage. I agree with others to know what type of food you are likely to crave and prep it beforehand. Plan to make it home and eat so you're not stopping while you're out and spontaneously buying whatever you see. A burger, pizza, even nachos prepped at home are still going to be better for you than those versions bought at a fast food joint. Also - popcorn. It's not awful for you (just don't drown it in butter) and it's filling, you can eat it mindlessly, and it'll kill the salt craving! You can also break up any other snacks you have in the house into portioned ziplock baggies. That way if you do reach for the cheetos or something, at least your only eating that baggie and not the entire bag. Also, of course, lots of water! It'll help sober you up & fill you up!
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options
    I normally don't make it to the eating phase, I pass out before then.

Or drink so much you puke it up that'll cure the munchies
  • mazdauk
    mazdauk Posts: 1,380 Member
    Options
    Mentioning alcohol on here just brings out the self-righteous!:drinker:

So back to the topic and what you ACTUALLY asked.......

Note on the fridge is good, or hide everything in the fridge behind all the lettuce and stuff you won't want, so you can't be bothered to look further.

You could also try making a cheese sandwich (or whatever) and leaving it in the fridge in a toaster bag, so you just pop it in the toaster when you get home and eat it when it pops up - this also avoids accidentally leaving the oven/hob on (I do that sober sometimes :blushing: )

Or if the evil tasty smells get to you walking past (we have an amazing chip shop just by the station which always used to get me after post-work drinkies, so its just lucky I don't use the train any more!) when your resistence is low, take the calories off your next day's allowance. Or save some calories over the week to allow for this - the app has a great "weekly" view which shows if your over or under all day as well as your average for the week. I use this to "save up" for weekends.:bigsmile:
  • chandanista
    chandanista Posts: 986 Member
    Options
    If you feel like eating at the end, you didn't drink enough alcohol!

J/K. Sorta. When I started drinking, I danced. We'd go to the club every other week and I'd drink and dance and that was FUN. My husband and I would dance in the living room after splitting some beers. Never had the munchies. I still don't crave food when drinking more than one glass of alcohol, though I have cut back a bit on both the drinking and the dancing. Could tipsy-you find something else to do when you have the munchies? Turn on dance videos in the living room and have a drunken ball falling all over yourself dancing with it? Not if you're in an apartment of course, unless the neighbors want to join in, but surely there is something you can do while tipsy to help distract from any food cravings.

PS--You are drinking water with the alcohol right? It helps.
  • Thokiz
    Thokiz Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    A small pot with 8-10 eggs, tons of butter & cheese cooked till the whites form up. 6 pieces of bread to mop up all the runny goodness. I seem to be able to cook this no matter what level of intoxication, sometimes not remembering even cooking.

Glad I've gotten out of the habit...but I'm craving eggs now :(
  • 12skipafew99100
    12skipafew99100 Posts: 1,669 Member
    Options
    Drinking makes me eat too. But I have been drinking way less often because it gives me a head ache. Just not worth it anymore. Maybe its my age? The only heach aches I remember fron drinnking in my 20's and 30's were from hang overs the next day. Now its after one drink. Whats up with that?
  • Amyp7777
    Amyp7777 Posts: 79
    Options
    Just live, drink, eat and enjoy ... Really, just do it.

We are put in this place for a minuscule time and we ain't meant to be obsessing over macros and ****e as we are making our way to sure death.

That is absolute, no afterlife, total death by the way.

You will die.

Everyone you care about will die.

So enjoy those snacks, whatever you choose. :)

If you choose to worry about 'empty calories' and 'I just drink water, I don't need alcohol to have a good time' then that's up to you.

Make sense? No? Good. :)

^I love you.

OP, great advice on here. I like eggs for a drunk snack. They fill you up, give you the salt fix and don't have to be a diet wrecker. Cheers!
  • NSP310
    NSP310 Posts: 9
    Options
    I have the same problem. In the past I would stock my fridge with Lean Cuisine frozen pizzas. They're still not super healthy BUT at least you know exactly how many calories you're eating (instead of grabbing a slice from the corner store or other late night fast food). Or I'd keep saltines in my pantry. They're salty, not as terrible as a burrito or nachos and will help you sober up in the morning. Now that I'm older I do just try to drink less and never get to the point where I'm drunk eating. But I still find myself in that situation sometimes, no one's perfect :)
  • ThinLizzie0802
    ThinLizzie0802 Posts: 863 Member
    Options
    I had to give up the weekend drinking because of this problem. Now I only do it once or twice a month on a Friday or Saturday. But I go to this local bar that has good food and have dinner and drinks. I drink the same one cocktail or beer all night so I can add it in accurately, and because I ate when I started drinking at 6 or 7 I'm home at a reasonable hour drunk but full still because dinner + a few drinks always fills me up so quickly.
  • Armyantzzz
    Armyantzzz Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    I don't know what to tell you about drunk snacking..:drinker: but here's one of my personal trail mixes ...:tongue::tongue: Cheese-its, cherrios, dry roasted nuts, fat free pretzels, walnuts and shredded wheat. :smile: :smile: it's a little healthier.:wink: