13»

Replies

• nicolebarnhill32
    nicolebarnhill32 Posts: 22 Member
    edited May 2016
    :/ maybe everyone's right. .

• RAinWA
    RAinWA Posts: 1,980 Member
    Yes, I have a fatty liver and my enzymes were high, so I took the milk thistle and I lost. .. enzymes went back to normal too. It's not my calorie intake because,I vary drastically and go over alot.

I had elevated enzymes and a fatty liver. Losing 125+ pounds cured both. No milk thistle required.
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    You should post the source when you copy and paste.

http://draxe.com/milk-thistle-benefits/

Dr. Axe is a quack who has been on Dr Oz. That should tell you something.
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    if the above were true then why dont drug and alcohol detox places use milk thistle? why isnt it used in cancer treatments? for cholesterol treatments? etc? oh thats right because they obviously dont work.to reduce the risk of a lot of these things could be as simple as a change in diet and getting exercise for most people. some people get cancer no matter what they do. I knew a kid(my sons friend) who was healthy,active and ate right. he ended up with Ewing's Sarcoma at 15,he even went as far as doing natural treatments,diet,eating certain things,taking certain supplements and nothing helped not even chemo/radiation. some things cannot be cured even with modern medicine. your liver if working properly detoxes itself. thats all that is needed.
  • nicolebarnhill32
    edited May 2016
    if the above were true then why dont drug and alcohol detox places use milk thistle? why isnt it used in cancer treatments? for cholesterol treatments? etc? oh thats right because they obviously dont work.to reduce the risk of a lot of these things could be as simple as a change in diet and getting exercise for most people. some people get cancer no matter what they do. I knew a kid(my sons friend) who was healthy,active and ate right. he ended up with Ewing's Sarcoma at 15,he even went as far as doing natural treatments,diet,eating certain things,taking certain supplements and nothing helped not even chemo/radiation. some things cannot be cured even with modern medicine. your liver if working properly detoxes itself. thats all that is needed.
    Hornsby wrote: »

Well, maybe you are all right? :) who knows. Maybe it was my 16 lbs of loss that helped my liver. Maybe it is a waste of money. Lol thanks everyone. I think I'll stop taking it and see.....
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member

Well, maybe you are all right? :) who knows. Maybe it was my 16 lbs of loss that helped me liver. Maybe it is a waste of money. Lol thanks everyone

Now you are on the right track. The credit goes to you for losing the weight, not some pill that did nothing. I would hope you would feel better knowing It was your hard work rather than a pill, but I could be wrong.
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member

Well, maybe you are all right? :) who knows. Maybe it was my 16 lbs of loss that helped me liver. Maybe it is a waste of money. Lol thanks everyone

Regarding the post by Dr Axe, here is the first reference:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/m/pubmed/17133738/

They basically compared an ingredient of milk thistle to ascorbic acid in reversing negative effects of high doses of ethanol on the liver.

People should really look into references to see if the linked study actually supports the message the blogger is sending.

This is one of many reasons why Dr Axe is basically Dr Crap.
  • IdahoDebra75
    IdahoDebra75 Posts: 1 Member
    [/quote]

This is not a National Institute of Health Study. Actually, it's not even a study. It looks like more of an opinion piece- there are no subjects, no methodology, no results, nothing. It is literally a paragraph that was written by a couple of people in Hungary and published in a low-impact journal. I don't have access to the full article, so I'm assuming you don't either, but this proves absolutely nothing. It's amazing what people believe if they read it online.

Not to mention any milk thistle you buy on the shelf in the USA is not regulated by the FDA and they don't have to contain what they say they do in the amounts they say they do. If you're lucky, they follow good manufacturing practices (GMP), but that's if you're lucky, and there's still no guarantees.

If your liver really needs extra help "detoxing", you really need to be getting medical help, not advice on the internet.

Also, not sure who said this- but liver tests are NOT part of a metabolic panel. They are LFTs- liver function tests. BMP (basic metabolic panel) is sodium, potassium, chloride, glucose, bicarb, blood urea nitrogen (BUN) and serum creatinine.

I can't believe I'm actually wasting my time in this thread....[/quote]

Some LFTs are included in a CMP (complete metabolic panel).
  • nicolebarnhill32
    Lol, yes I agree it was my hard work and dedication..most likey not milk thistle.

I'm not taking them anymore. :) thanks ya'll
  • nicolebarnhill32
    SideSteel wrote: »

Regarding the post by Dr Axe, here is the first reference:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/m/pubmed/17133738/

They basically compared an ingredient of milk thistle to ascorbic acid in reversing negative effects of high doses of ethanol on the liver.

People should really look into references to see if the linked study actually supports the message the blogger is sending.

This is one of many reasons why Dr Axe is basically Dr Crap.

Lol, ,that's funny...
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 33,589 Member
    Yes, I have a fatty liver and my enzymes were high, so I took the milk thistle and I lost. .. enzymes went back to normal too. It's not my calorie intake because,I vary drastically and go over alot.

For any weight loss to occur , one must be at a calorie deficit. Regardless if they realize they are at a deficit or not
    If you feel milk thistle caused your weight loss, fine more power to you. But it is irresponsible to create a thread stating the milk thistle caused your weight loss . Beginners often lurk these boards desperately seeking information. Someone could read this and really believe that all they need to do is take milk thistle to lose weight.

Yes, you are right, it is both my healthy diet and MILK thistle combo..... I did forget to mention that in my original post but it is not just calories. I eat more calories sometimes and still lost weight . But I eat clean and healthy,lots of veggies,fruit,lean meat,nuts. :)

I eat more calories sometimes, and still lost weight. In fact, I ate hundreds more calories every day than MFP estimated as my maintenance calories and still lost weight. But I, too, eat "clean & healthy", lots of veggies, fruits, nuts (quotation marks because I'd never call it that; I just call it "eating food").

No lean meat, though. That must be why I didn't need to take the milk thistle.

( ;-) for those unable to recognize tongue-in cheek remarks when they read them . . . all factual statements true, however, just the inferential ones are dubious).

No opinion about whether MT is useful to people with unusual conditions. N = 1 suggests it's not essential to regular ol' healthy-ish fat people, in order to lose weight.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!