It's just not worth it

Options
So I've lost 25 lbs and for the first time in this weight loss journey (this time around) gained 1.5 lbs this past week. Ugh. So frustrated. I'm down to 144.6 today (5'6, 44 yr old F) and just annoyed with myself. I had a friend visiting and had made a yummy coffee cake on Friday (dang it! Why do I have a love for baking and baking well? lol!) for a group of friends who came over and then kept it in the fridge for when my out of town friend came 2 days later. I ate some with her and then got it out with my daughter and ate more than I should have. I also had a personal cheese pizza with my friend and ate only 1/2 of it so I'm hoping that maybe some of my weight gain is sodium....wishful thinking, I know ;)
All of this to say...was it worth it? Nope. Not really. I'm mad at myself for going over my calories when I knew darn well I shouldn't. I'm dreading the beach this summer and need to have a plan for what I will eat. I'm thinking I'll eat light for breakfast and lunch (bars, nuts, fruit, popcorn) and a salad for dinner but sometimes it's so hard while on vacation but if I gain weight, I'll be so frustrated as I am now!! Any suggestions for my week away? It's just not worth it after my hard work of diet and exercise to binge eat on sugar! Sugar seriously makes me crave more..

Replies

• zoeysasha37
    zoeysasha37 Posts: 7,089 Member
    Options
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    So I've lost 25 lbs and for the first time in this weight loss journey (this time around) gained 1.5 lbs this past week. Ugh. So frustrated. I'm down to 144.6 today (5'6, 44 yr old F) and just annoyed with myself. I had a friend visiting and had made a yummy coffee cake on Friday (dang it! Why do I have a love for baking and baking well? lol!) for a group of friends who came over and then kept it in the fridge for when my out of town friend came 2 days later. I ate some with her and then got it out with my daughter and ate more than I should have. I also had a personal cheese pizza with my friend and ate only 1/2 of it so I'm hoping that maybe some of my weight gain is sodium....wishful thinking, I know ;)
    All of this to say...was it worth it? Nope. Not really. I'm mad at myself for going over my calories when I knew darn well I shouldn't. I'm dreading the beach this summer and need to have a plan for what I will eat. I'm thinking I'll eat light for breakfast and lunch (bars, nuts, fruit, popcorn) and a salad for dinner but sometimes it's so hard while on vacation but if I gain weight, I'll be so frustrated as I am now!! Any suggestions for my week away? It's just not worth it after my hard work of diet and exercise to binge eat on sugar! Sugar seriously makes me crave more..
    Not a healthy way of thinking. When food you actually enjoy becomes a bane because of 1.5lbs gain, then you're using the scale as your measurement of success/failure. Unless you exceeded your calories by 3500 calories and ALL of them reverted to fat storage, that 1.5lbs is basically a little water retention. And honestly, even the most trained eye wouldn't be able to tell you whether it made a difference on your body or not.
    If you can't enjoy your friends and they can't enjoy you and you can't handle a slight gain, then is it really better to avoid them and any "off" eating the REST OF YOUR LIFE because of a little vanity?

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

This
  • mom23mangos
    mom23mangos Posts: 3,070 Member
    Options
    Good advice from everyone on here. You still want to be able to enjoy your life and food. As for your vacation, try to pre-plan if you can. And be careful. Bars, nuts, fruit, salads can all have high calories that easily take you over your calorie limit if you are not careful. Nuts especially. Most of my weight gain was from nuts, cheese and fruit.
  • Sharon_C
    Sharon_C Posts: 2,132 Member
    Options
    Not a healthy way of thinking. When food you actually enjoy becomes a bane because of 1.5lbs gain, then you're using the scale as your measurement of success/failure. Unless you exceeded your calories by 3500 calories and ALL of them reverted to fat storage, that 1.5lbs is basically a little water retention. And honestly, even the most trained eye wouldn't be able to tell you whether it made a difference on your body or not.
    If you can't enjoy your friends and they can't enjoy you and you can't handle a slight gain, then is it really better to avoid them and any "off" eating the REST OF YOUR LIFE because of a little vanity?

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

So much this. You still have to enjoy life and frankly your idea of eating on vacation is depressing. Allow yourself some leeway. Enjoy life and time with friends and, yes, coffee cake and pizza.

I'm going on vacation in June and have no intention of watching what I eat. I do this every vacation and the most I've ever gained is 2 pounds (and that was on a 7 day cruise where I basically ate 24/7). As soon as I got home and back to eating right it came off immediately.
  • sisterlilbunny
    sisterlilbunny Posts: 691 Member
    Options
    the one thing you'll learn here, crap happens. keep learning from it and keep going. I've been on here seriously way too long to count at this point and have had great success and massive failures but one things stays the same, I keep logging in/tracking/moving forward. ;) Stop beating yourself up and make changes so next time you can report to us a great success. :D
  • Rocknut53
    Rocknut53 Posts: 1,794 Member
    Options
    I had my first test this past weekend after almost 5 months of logging diligently and losing 1-1.5 pounds/week. I failed the test, but learned from that failure. Instead of beating myself up, I'm vowing to stay the course and not let 3 days of gluttony derail my hard work. Will I handle it better next time? Who knows? You've lost 25 pounds, you know how this works. Just keep moving forward.
  • Hearts_2015
    Hearts_2015 Posts: 12,031 Member
    Options
    That's fantastic that you've dropped 25 lbs!! That's not easy to do! Keep it up and keep a positive attitude!

Cheers for a brand new day looking a head, forgive yourself and move on!!
  • eandasher
    eandasher Posts: 25 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    You gotta enjoy your life, are you training for some kind of sports or fitness event?? If you are you should plan out accordingly and let your friends and family know. Otherwise Do your best, and use portion control and good judgment. (I have the same problem feeling guilty about eating certain things, I mentally give myself permission, "we are spending time with friends at a party, and I'm not going to feel bad about this. This is why I eat right the other 98% of the time :smiley: ")

Lastly your post says its not worth it, but you made all these choices. You love to bake, make smaller personal size baked goods for your friend, have fruits, yogurt, and granola there and enjoy a parfait. There are probably thousands of 'healthy' pizza recipes out there (and you do love to bake!) Use google type in 'healthy pizza recipes', 'healthy baked good recipes', and plan ahead when possible you have to be in control of your own life... My buddy owed me lunch he asked where I wanted to go? I told him hey man just buy some steaks I got veggies, rice, and some potatoes at my house. As I love too cook this was probably better then any restaurant we could've gone too.
  • Losewtforlife4him
    Losewtforlife4him Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    You've lost 25 lbs your first time on this journey? Don't beat yourself up, praise yourself. This is about my 6th time being active on MFP, and I've given up before after only a couple lbs in the past.

Log it and move on. We all have bad days. And think about it, before we started logging, basically all our days were bad!

Thank you so much for your encouragement. I've lost weight before on mfp and this is my 2nd journey on here. I should have clarified that better. You're right...before logging, all my days were pretty bad or I wasn't eating enough some days.
  • Losewtforlife4him
    Options
    sllm1 wrote: »
    No one can be perfect all of the time. You enjoyed time with a friend and overate. No big deal. Back on the plan. Forget it. Make a U-Turn and do what you need to do. No need to be frustrated or upset. It's done.

Don't dread vacation - plan breakfast, lunch, and snacks - eat out for dinner. Make good choices, but enjoy it. Get in some walking to earn extra calories. Expect to weigh about 3 pounds more when you return (I'm about the same weight as you and this is my typical "gain" from vacation, - but it's not a gain - it's from travel and sodium, not overeating. It will go away. Get back on it when you return, drink lots of water, and your weight will return to normal in about three days.

Don't be so hard on yourself!

You're right. Thanks for the encouragement! I shouldn't get so worked up over a number.

• Losewtforlife4him
    Options
    SezxyStef wrote: »
    There is no way you gained 1.5lbs from coffee cake and half a personal pan pizza...

To gain 1.5lbs of fat you need to consume 10500 calories more than maintenance.

Just log it move on and expect to lose it as it is probably water weight.

Well I weigh Thursday-Thursday and that's what the weight gain was. Is that still not possible? I had a hard week and I guess went over my calories a bit too often obviously. However, today I woke up and I'm 142.6 so a 2 lb loss from yesterday-yay :smile: I know I shouldn't be so obsessed with the scale but when I get into tracking as I am right now, i can become a bit OCD with it. I'm either one way or the other..eating or tracking ugh.

• Losewtforlife4him
    Options

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

Thank you. You're exactly right. I can get a bit stressed over this and I don't want to. I woke up this morning and weighed but don't know how accurate this weight would be since yesterday was my "weekly weigh in" here at my house. I still weighed this morning to see and lost 2 lbs and down to 142.6. So would that 1.5 lb weight gain yesterday from my whole week be accurate or do you think it was retention? I never understand the fluctuations with weight but the number on the scale isn't everything. My clothes are still loose and you're right...no one would be able to tell that I gained 1.5lbs. Thanks!
  • Losewtforlife4him
    Options
    After you've hit your goal weight you're going to continue to have good days, and "bad" days as you maintain. Just accept that you took it easy for a day and get going again. It's not a big deal. And as Stef said, you didn't really gain 1.5 lbs from that one splurge.

No, I guess it was over the week that I gained the 1.5 lbs but that splurge on coffee cake and too many pieces with high calories certainly didn't help. See I weight every Thursday so yesterday was my weigh in. So it had to have been accurate however today I weighed and I'm 142.6 so maybe it was retention. You're right. I need to just move on and accept and start again. That's what I'm doing. Thanks for your encouragement.
  • Losewtforlife4him
    Options
    Sharon_C wrote: »

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

So much this. You still have to enjoy life and frankly your idea of eating on vacation is depressing. Allow yourself some leeway. Enjoy life and time with friends and, yes, coffee cake and pizza.

I'm going on vacation in June and have no intention of watching what I eat. I do this every vacation and the most I've ever gained is 2 pounds (and that was on a 7 day cruise where I basically ate 24/7). As soon as I got home and back to eating right it came off immediately.

I agree to a point. Last year I had lost a lot with myfitness pal but then totally messed up on my vacations. Too many Krispy Kreme donuts with my daughter on 2 beach trips, a cruise,....and I couldn't lose my weight for anything. I think I sorta gave up. When I get so much sugar in my body as I did over the summer, I have a very hard time feeling like doing much. It's like I'm sugar comatose, lol. Glad I can lol now, 25 lbs lighter. It was very difficult after last summer and then get into the winter months and baking cookies for Christmas...don't get me started. I totally am all for not being depressing and enjoying and eating good food and even some junk (in moderation) as I had a mcds cheeseburger, small fry and ice cream cone a few days ago...but I just bought too many Krispy Kreme donuts last year and ate them and the weight came on in a fierce way. This is why I get a bit stressed. I didn't use this community last year either so this is very helpful!!