Deadlift Reps/Sets?

Options
2»

Replies

• JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    I am at the stage where I do mixed grip on 315 lbs and straight grip on 275 or less.

My routine is like:
    6 x 5 for 315lbs
    7 x 6 for 275lbs

I flip back and forth, depending on stamina levels for the day, depending on how much energy I feel like I have.

My ambition is to do 405lbs one day. Not many do that. A jock did that once and I was impressed and jealous. Not sure if I will ever get to that point but it looked pretty difficult. He did 4 reps at one go.

As for the OP, 8 is a little too high. 5-6 is a good number. Deads can be draining.

That's a more than reasonable number- I'd can count 10 people off in my head who can pull that at my gym.

Keep training. It's a more realistic goal than you think.
  • SonyaCele
    SonyaCele Posts: 2,841 Member
    Options
    Yep, I am confident I am going to get there. Many moons ago when I was doing 135 lbs, 300 was unimaginable. I keep telling myself, it's a matter of time.

Typically I test the waters by adding 10lbs increments. The thing is I don't feel like I am ready to increment yet.

Oh and I also increase the height of deadlifts. I mean, I place four 45lbs two on each side to create a platform. And then I lift standing on top of it. More range as the bend happens to be longer.

But I haven't pulled this stunt with the 315 coz my worst fear is a back injury. When I lift off the platform, I lose form a bit if I am not paying attention. Anyone does this? Is it even worth raising the platform?

Other guys tell me to use the belt but I am strongly against using belts.

What you are doing by standing on plates is called deficit pulls, but you can't go as heavy, they are good for that lower range. You can also place the weights on plates/platforms (like pin pulls in the squat rack) for overloaded lifts for working on your lockout. I train like this all the time, but i wouldn't really suggest standing on plates, find something more stable and flat to stand on, like a stack of those hard rubber mats. We have plywood nailed together to create a stable platform. When you get heavy that kinda stuff matters. And when i do deficit pulls i dont bend over more, i squat down deeper. if you are bending over , your form isn't right. you should squat down deep and use your legs

A belt would help, but the right belt, not one of those cheap thin leather belts hanging in the gym for anyone to use. Be open to pulling with a belt, there are a great tool when you use them correctly.
  • McCloud33
    McCloud33 Posts: 959 Member
    Options
    Yep, I am confident I am going to get there. Many moons ago when I was doing 135 lbs, 300 was unimaginable. I keep telling myself, it's a matter of time.

Typically I test the waters by adding 10lbs increments. The thing is I don't feel like I am ready to increment yet.

Oh and I also increase the height of deadlifts. I mean, I place four 45lbs two on each side to create a platform. And then I lift standing on top of it. More range as the bend happens to be longer.

But I haven't pulled this stunt with the 315 coz my worst fear is a back injury. When I lift off the platform, I lose form a bit if I am not paying attention. Anyone does this? Is it even worth raising the platform?

Other guys tell me to use the belt but I am strongly against using belts.

Squats and calories will help increase your deadlift. I solid *strength* program like SL5x5, starting strength or 5/3/1 can get you there in relatively short order. What's your bodyweight, because that does play a role. I never lifted weights before June 2014 and hit 405 on DL by Christmas of that year.

As far as platform, what you're really doing is called a deficit deadlift. I've seen lots of guys do them and I've done them once or twice. Generally I've seen most guys do them from a 3-4" box that we have at the gym rather than from plates. Seems a little more stable at higher weights. I believe that their more an accessory to try and help with sticking points, much like rack pulls. So if you struggle to get the weight off of the ground, you might do deficit, whereas if you struggle to get from your knees to lockout you'd do rack pull.

Just got myself back up to 405 this morning at a BW of 190ish. So far I've had trouble hitting that at a lower bodyweight.
  • juliewatkin
    juliewatkin Posts: 764 Member
    Options
    I have to correct that sentence. I actually meant to say squat down more. But you are right, I tend to lose form because the raise makes me lean over towards the end of the set, on 4 or 5.

I used a few rubber mats and they kind of press in with the heavy weight and that is why I started using plates. The plates are pretty clingy to each other so that helps.

But thanks for the tip. I will reduce the weights on the deficit pull. I don't regularly do the deficit. Sometimes I feel like it (if I feel the stamina) and I do deficits for the last 2 sets.

Still conflicted on the belt. Some people on the internet think they are harmful and deter core strength, like using gloves for weights.

An alternative to raising yourself is lowering the bar. On deficit day I load 35's as the primary plates rather than 45s. That way all other positioning is the same.
  • SonyaCele
    SonyaCele Posts: 2,841 Member
    Options
    oh no , a belt properly used will make your core super strong. You use it to brace your core against it, and you can get so much more core power, your lift will feel turbo boosted. Most people dont know how to use a belt, They allow you to engage your core harder and stronger than you could otherwise, and your abs will feel it the next day.
  • ObsidianMist
    ObsidianMist Posts: 519 Member
    Options
    hill8570 wrote: »
    does SL actually have a warmup routine? I don't recall ever seeing anything about that. I actually added my own warmup to my workouts but I don't remember reading anything about a warmup.

http://stronglifts.com/5-rules-to-find-your-perfect-warm-up-weight/

The app figures it all out for you (can't remember if it's one of the paid add-ons, 'tho...been a while since I was running SL).

oh. I just got the info on what to do from the website and don't use the app because I have a *kitten* 4+ year old phone that doesn't have any room on it for more apps than what I already have.
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options
    I am at the stage where I do mixed grip on 315 lbs and straight grip on 275 or less.

My routine is like:
    6 x 5 for 315lbs
    7 x 6 for 275lbs

I flip back and forth, depending on stamina levels for the day, depending on how much energy I feel like I have.

My ambition is to do 405lbs one day. Not many do that. A jock did that once and I was impressed and jealous. Not sure if I will ever get to that point but it looked pretty difficult. He did 4 reps at one go.

As for the OP, 8 is a little too high. 5-6 is a good number. Deads can be draining.

I don't understand this. Are you just doing those two weights as your working sets? Where's the progression?

• McCloud33
    McCloud33 Posts: 959 Member
    Options
    Thanks for tips, folks. McCloud, high five on the 405. What was your rep/set ratio like?

Sonya, will look into the belt. Thanks!

@cutaway_collar Thanks, When I got up over 400 the first time I was just doing SL 5x5. Right now I'm doing a hybrid SL5x5 but doing a 20rep squat progression instead of the 5x5 working sets for Squats.
    TR0berts wrote: »

My routine is like:
    6 x 5 for 315lbs
    7 x 6 for 275lbs

I don't understand this. Are you just doing those two weights as your working sets? Where's the progression?

I think what TROberts is questioning is why would you only continue doing the same weights (275 or 315). If you want to lift more weights, you need some sort of progressive lifting program like SL, starting strength, 5/3/1, etc...
  • jmaidan
    jmaidan Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    I like to keep it short, sweet and heavy on the dead lift. I do a set of 5, a set of 3 and my 1 rep max and that's it. I find if I do more it takes it out of me to the point my future workouts suffer.