Calorie Counter

You are currently viewing the message boards in:

'low calorie' food

robs_readyrobs_ready Posts: 1,489Member Member Posts: 1,489Member Member
Just a simple point really.

a bowl of my porridge with milk is about 600 calories, a low fat yoghurt is about 150 calories.

One fills me up till 2pm, the other I'm hungry by the time I get to work.

Dont look at low calorie as a great thing, don't get me wrong, there are great low calorie foods. Foods that are high in calorie are not necessarily bad for you if they are nutrient dense, they will actually fill you up for longer and in fact, make you eat less.

And one more thing, fat is incredibly good and important for your brain especially, low fat = high sugar in most cases, better to choose fat over sugar, unless your doing high intensity.
edited May 2016
«1

Replies

  • kommodevarankommodevaran Posts: 17,960Member Member Posts: 17,960Member Member
    Why do you think the diet industry is a billion dollar industry?
    :s
  • JruzerJruzer Posts: 3,355Member Member Posts: 3,355Member Member
    I agree with your thoughts entirely.

    That said, 600 kcal of oatmeal and milk sounds like quite a large portion. How much is that? Yum.
  • robs_readyrobs_ready Posts: 1,489Member Member Posts: 1,489Member Member
    Jruzer wrote: »
    I agree with your thoughts entirely.

    That said, 600 kcal of oatmeal and milk sounds like quite a large portion. How much is that? Yum.

    It's because i drink it with whole milk, none of this low fat crap! Haha
  • robs_readyrobs_ready Posts: 1,489Member Member Posts: 1,489Member Member
    Why do you think the diet industry is a billion dollar industry?
    :s

    That's a great question, A sicker a nation the larger the profits.
  • robs_readyrobs_ready Posts: 1,489Member Member Posts: 1,489Member Member
    So a breakfast item which has 4 times the calories and is a larger portion keeps you filled up longer...?

    7dje9cial1jb.jpg

    It is if you read it In the correct context, if you take it out of context it sounds a bit obvious doesn't it?
  • The_EnginerdThe_Enginerd Posts: 3,932Member Member Posts: 3,932Member Member
    RobD520 wrote: »
    So a breakfast item which has 4 times the calories and is a larger portion keeps you filled up longer...?

    7dje9cial1jb.jpg

    Ladies and gentlemen, the obligatory crapping on the original poster while not getting what is actually a good point.

    I know what the point is. And actually agree with the OP (to a point, the last bit about choosing fats over sugar every as a universal is over the top and doesn't take the entire diet into context). However, the evidence provided does not support the conclusion.
  • lemurcat12lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886Member Member Posts: 30,886Member Member
    What leads to satiety varies, which the OP didn't seem to acknowledge. I don't find milk filling at all, and oatmeal only somewhat, since I do better with more protein. So I wouldn't say that the calories are irrelevant to the effect of those breakfasts.

    I find that protein powder or adding some low fat (yes, low fat) dairy or smoked salmon to a breakfast of oats and vegetables does make it a lot more filling for the same calories than simply eating more oats (or adding even whole milk).

    My favorite (and quite filling) breakfast is a 2 egg vegetable omelet with some other kind of protein (so it has a decent amount of fat), but I used to often eat leftover meat and vegetables or even a salad with protein (both pretty low fat), and found those equally filling.

    I of course agree that more calories isn't bad or mean a choice is unhealthy. I sometimes eat avocado with breakfast, after all.
    edited May 2016
  • mommarnursemommarnurse Posts: 515Member, Premium Member Posts: 515Member, Premium Member
    robs_ready wrote: »
    Jruzer wrote: »
    I agree with your thoughts entirely.

    That said, 600 kcal of oatmeal and milk sounds like quite a large portion. How much is that? Yum.

    It's because i drink it with whole milk, none of this low fat crap! Haha

    Have you tried almond milk? I prefer it with oatmeal specifically based solely on flavor. Delicious.
  • bpetroskybpetrosky Posts: 3,796Member Member Posts: 3,796Member Member
    How much is 1 serving of the porridge? It seems you're getting more than a single serving even using whole milk.

    If you stuck to 1 serving would you still be held over until lunch? Or if you had a more comparable level of calories of yogurt? Either comparison would be a bit more useful.
  • zyxstzyxst Posts: 9,154Member Member Posts: 9,154Member Member
    bpetrosky wrote: »
    How much is 1 serving of the porridge? It seems you're getting more than a single serving even using whole milk.

    If you stuck to 1 serving would you still be held over until lunch? Or if you had a more comparable level of calories of yogurt? Either comparison would be a bit more useful.

    Based on what I have and guessing on what OP eats, 170 cals for the oats (44 g) and 160 cals for whole milk (250 mL). Guessing OP is eating at least 2 servings of steel-cut oats with a cup or so of whole milk and that's just if those 2 items are all that's in his oatmeal. Me, if I had 600 cals to play with for breakfast, I wouldn't "waste" them on cooked oatmeal with milk.
  • pebble4321pebble4321 Posts: 1,133Member Member Posts: 1,133Member Member
    Low fat yogurt tastes like *kitten* ;)

    That depends on the brand and your personal taste.
    This is my favourite yoghurt - I eat it on it's own as a snack and it tastes creamy and decadent for under 100 cals for 100g:
    qsfkgsl2mk8u.png

    I wouldn't expect 100 cals of any yoghurt to keep me full all morning though, but then I don't think 100 cals of porridge would either

    Regarding low calorie foods - I think the get the point of the original post.
    It's easy to start seeing calories as the enemy and forget that a calorie is a measurement of energy, and something that is essential to staying alive. Looking for low cal foods at the expense of satiety and enjoyment is not something that's every going to be sustainable, and quite often not enjoyable.




  • arditarosearditarose Posts: 15,610Member Member Posts: 15,610Member Member
    I eat "low calorie" foods. But that's because high volume is filling to me. I purposely have to cut volume a bit so I can get enough fat.
  • HornsbyHornsby Posts: 10,372Member Member Posts: 10,372Member Member
    I agree to an extent. I prefer the low fat versions of some things as I'd rather spend my calories elsewhere. Low fat doesn't equal high sugar in all cases. Other than that, yep, agree with OP although his strategy is most certainly not the only strategy.
  • Christine_72Christine_72 Posts: 16,074Member Member Posts: 16,074Member Member
    zyxst wrote: »
    bpetrosky wrote: »
    How much is 1 serving of the porridge? It seems you're getting more than a single serving even using whole milk.

    If you stuck to 1 serving would you still be held over until lunch? Or if you had a more comparable level of calories of yogurt? Either comparison would be a bit more useful.

    Based on what I have and guessing on what OP eats, 170 cals for the oats (44 g) and 160 cals for whole milk (250 mL). Guessing OP is eating at least 2 servings of steel-cut oats with a cup or so of whole milk and that's just if those 2 items are all that's in his oatmeal. Me, if I had 600 cals to play with for breakfast, I wouldn't "waste" them on cooked oatmeal with milk.

    I dunno.. I often have oatmeal, and 80g oats plus 300ml full cream milk comes to 474 calories.

    OP enlighten us, how much of each are you having?

  • robs_readyrobs_ready Posts: 1,489Member Member Posts: 1,489Member Member
    zyxst wrote: »
    bpetrosky wrote: »
    How much is 1 serving of the porridge? It seems you're getting more than a single serving even using whole milk.

    If you stuck to 1 serving would you still be held over until lunch? Or if you had a more comparable level of calories of yogurt? Either comparison would be a bit more useful.

    Based on what I have and guessing on what OP eats, 170 cals for the oats (44 g) and 160 cals for whole milk (250 mL). Guessing OP is eating at least 2 servings of steel-cut oats with a cup or so of whole milk and that's just if those 2 items are all that's in his oatmeal. Me, if I had 600 cals to play with for breakfast, I wouldn't "waste" them on cooked oatmeal with milk.

    I dunno.. I often have oatmeal, and 80g oats plus 300ml full cream milk comes to 474 calories.

    OP enlighten us, how much of each are you having?

    Plus a whole banana :)
  • robs_readyrobs_ready Posts: 1,489Member Member Posts: 1,489Member Member
    Hornsby wrote: »
    I agree to an extent. I prefer the low fat versions of some things as I'd rather spend my calories elsewhere. Low fat doesn't equal high sugar in all cases. Other than that, yep, agree with OP although his strategy is most certainly not the only strategy.

    This is also true, I was referring more to misleading producing thats that boast 'low fat'. A lot of these products are misleading as they often contain high sugar
Sign In or Register to comment.