New to the site and embarrassed to even try

Options
123457»

Replies

• cebreisch
    cebreisch Posts: 1,340 Member
    Options
    Been there. After finally losing about 80 pounds, I went to the gym, and there were lots of things I wanted to do (like rowing machines or bicycle's, etc.) and couldn't because of the belly-beast being in the way. I stuck with walking and doing some of the weight machines even though getting on the weight machines was still sometimes a bit of a trick.

I went and had skin removal surgery for the belly at the end of March, and am going back to the gym for the first time today. I'm hopeful, but a bit scared too...just because I don't know what I'll be in for without bringing the belly-beast with me. BUT I'M GOING. The only person who'll be aware of that is me.

Please don't worry about being "sweaty and gross" because I assure you, nobody else will be judging/complaining/criticizing because they're all sweaty and gross too. The last thing you need to worry about is what other people think. It just doesn't matter. You're not going there for social hour or to impress anybody. You're there for you.

What matters is you having the courage to go in there to do what you need to do to get where you want to be.
  • ninnyfurr74
    ninnyfurr74 Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    Hey hunny, I've read some of the other posts and they have some great advice and encouragement. I would like to add to that if I may. I suffered from severe foot pain when I first started all this a little over a month ago. I could barely walk 3/4 of a mile (once around the block for me) because of the pain in my feet and knees. So I pulled out an old bike my mom gave me and started riding. It really has been my saving grace. No pain in the feet or knees and I get a really good work out! It also doesn't require all over body movement so not so much jiggling. I tried yoga too and found the same as you that some of the positions were just impossible with a belly in the way. Swimming is another great alternative! It takes almost all the stress off your feet and knees but still burns an amazing amount of calories! I guess just don't be afraid to try different things and find what works for you and build into it gradually. I do still try to do some of the yoga, but mostly I get in the pool and bike my butt off (hopefully literally) :) Feel free to add me if you like :)
  • erinfaaaaace
    Options
    I, like you, also felt very akward when going to the gym the first time. Not only did I hate the way I looked between the sweat and the red face ... but I didn't even know what half of the machines did, or how to even climb on them! Now THAT was embarassing.

Since then, I just pony up to whatever I want to do and focus on my task. I personally don't care if other people think I look stupid, sweaty, ugly, whatever.

I think at this point, I PURPOSELY wear neon sweatpants just to say "HI! I'M HERE! I'M FAT! I'M SWEATING! BUT I'M TRYING, SO GET OVER IT!"
  • bunnsangel
    bunnsangel Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I sweat when I work out too. After I'm done I look like I've been in the shower. You shouldn't worry about what people think. Do it for you. In the long run, it will all be worth it.
  • amandapatterson9
    amandapatterson9 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I remember feeling the same way when I started going to the gym. I avoided the weight room because of all the mirrors it had in it. I spent my time on a treadmill because I was not even sure how to use the other machines and to embarrassed to ask for help. I let this get the best off me for a while and even stopped going to the gym. I had a friend that started to go to the gym with me, I leaned on her courage until I found my own. You can do this. Don't be discouraged keep trying and pushing through the pain.
  • McMullet
    McMullet Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I highly recommend water exercise classes. It's an excellent, fun, and low-impact workout. You work your entire body and can adjust any exercises according to your abilities. The water is very refreshing and the classes are full of all sorts of people with different shapes and ages. You feel very much alive and energetic after the class and you burn about 250 calories in a regular 50-minute class. You tone up really fast.
  • 08kat
    08kat Posts: 51
    Options
    Ferndale, WA huh? You've got a friend here in Beaverton, OR. I sweat buckets when I work out and my face turns as red as a tomato, but I am PROUD of my efforts and don't give a damn what anyone thinks of my size or how "icky" I look when I workout. Please don't feel discouraged, find something you like and stick with it. As far as what others think, I have a motto.....For someone to offend me, I must first value their opinion. Don't give up, it really is worth the effort!! :flowerforyou: