Uh oh, I'm losing, but so is my special needs child

Options
13»

Replies

• pie_eyes
    pie_eyes Posts: 12,965 Member
    Options
    Why don't you just buy him/her treats that's just for him/her and not for you?
  • stephaniepredator137
    Options
    We were told with my daughter that high calorie things like butter and cream are NOT the things we should feed them-peanut butter is good-letting them choose their own snacks and groceries is a help sometimes and go online and research healthy recipes and boost shakes with added protein with her meals helped us tremendously although that was expensive-she was very underweight and has low muscle tone she has aspergers , adhd, o.d.d and a mood disorder with bipolar tendencies just in case u were wondering-I feel ur pain as I am down 81 pounds and trying to transition my family into this healthy eating and lifestyle is tough!!!
  • mommaesq
    mommaesq Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I have exact same issue. Ivery been questioned about whether I even feed my son! Ugh... I keep Boost shakes in the house for him, cliff bars and I aim for high calorie stuff he loves and I don't like. I precook for the week and have alternatives. SF jello for me, regular for him. 100 calorie packs of oreos for me, family pack of oreos for him. Cashews for him, 100 calorie pack almonds n walnuts for me... Whole milk for him... you get the idea. So hard to keep weight on them. He used to throw his lunches away. We don't even pack them anymore. They'd all be at bottom of backpack at the end of the week -such a waste. We eat late (8pm)so meds have worn off. So he only eats twice a day. Long story short, keep alternatives for you, so he gets the calories he needs and you can beat cravings... good luck!
  • a_candler
    a_candler Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    How does he like smoothies or shakes? I recently tried a plant based protein drink (powder) and it tasted decent. Perhaps with almond milk, pb, banana maybe even dairy free ice cream. I worked at a hospital Kitchen and we put olive oil in the smoothies for those needing extra calories.
  • skinnyforhi
    skinnyforhi Posts: 340 Member
    Options
    alphastarz wrote: »
    UPDATE: after some of the great insights on here from another autistic person we had some very explicit conversations with him. We discovered he 1. Only can tell he is hungry when his stomach is actually growling 2. can only tell he's full if he vomits or feels like vomitting 3. Has been having diarrhea and GI troubles he hadn't told us about (and can't quite tell the difference between tummy pains from GI issues/hunger/fullness) 4. Thought if he lost weight he would run faster and in fact had desired to lose weight.
    We're hopeful understanding him better will help us help him better. We are looping his OT, pedi, counselor, psych, behavior therapist all in to help with various parts as well, definitely starting to see why we failed when we just tried to get him to eat more on our own! Thanks to all those who responded, and I certainly hope the discussion can help others in similar situations.

What a wonderful outcome. Best of luck to you.