Krispy Kreme Challenge

Options

Replies

• zumbajheri
    zumbajheri Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure if you remember James, but at one point a bunch of KKs popped up all over the metro and there were all these lines out the door to buy them, and then suddenly they disappeared? Not sure what happened, but then I saw the KKs at holiday gas stations, do they still have them there? Sadly, i know this challenge would be a breeze for me lol!!!
  • zumbajheri
    zumbajheri Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    And by breeze, I only meant the donut eating part lol!!
  • skullshank
    skullshank Posts: 4,323 Member
    Options
    Would calling it "Gain a pound in one day" challenge not have a desired effect on the turnout?

but...you wouldnt...gain a.....pound

Finn_Confused.gif
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    Would calling it "Gain a pound in one day" challenge not have a desired effect on the turnout?

I already commented on that above. For most people who could run 5 miles plus eat in under an hour they would have higher daily burn rates anyway. Even after that challenge I could eat 1000 more calories and come in at my TDEE.

ETA: I'm also a female, so athletic males could easily eat more than that.
  • TyTy76
    TyTy76 Posts: 1,761 Member
    Options
    Sorry to be a killjoy, but 7700 people at over $5 bucks a dozen, would be almost another $40,000 for the Children's Hospital. Really? If the goal was to raise money for the kids, just do it without the doughnuts and give the extra 40k to the kids.

Fun hater.
  • megabyt23
    megabyt23 Posts: 580 Member
    Options
    I could totally eat a dozen krispy kreme hands down...and the five miles is pretty easy I guess, though not as exciting. hahaha
  • mperrott2205
    mperrott2205 Posts: 737 Member
    Options
    I hate Krispy Kreme, can I just run the five miles instead??? ;)

Get out.
  • NYCNika
    NYCNika Posts: 611 Member
    Options

I already commented on that above. For most people who could run 5 miles plus eat in under an hour they would have higher daily burn rates anyway. Even after that challenge I could eat 1000 more calories and come in at my TDEE.

I am also athletic, I run 4 miles about 4 times a week and strength train with a personal trainer twice a week. I can't imagine being able to eat 4,000 calories on each day I run and not gain weight.
  • megabyt23
    megabyt23 Posts: 580 Member
    Options
    I'm sorry, but running 5 miles won't even burn 2 donuts. Eating more than your daily recommended caloric intake in donuts does not sound like an idea that should in any way be associated with medical professionals.
    2 doughnuts would be 400 calories.......I think that sounds feasible for a five mile run.

It's only one day.......not an everyday occurrence.
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options

I am also athletic, I run 4 miles about 4 times a week and strength train with a personal trainer twice a week. I can't imagine being able to eat 4,000 calories on each day I run and not gain weight.

Well at 200 calories per donut multiplied by 12 donuts is 2400. Add in another 1000 calories for lunch and dinner would put it at 3400. If you just had chicken and vegetables it wouldn't even be 1000 calories. Any weight you might gain that day is water and glycogen. (carbs make the body retain water and increase glycogen stores)
  • kelseyhere
    kelseyhere Posts: 1,123 Member
    Options
    don't get me wrong, i love krispy kreme. but i don't love puking up krispy kreme all over the track
  • blah2989
    blah2989 Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    This doesnt sound like a challenge... more like sabotage! Lol! Good luck you guys!
  • TheBeerRunner
    TheBeerRunner Posts: 2,777 Member
    Options
    I'm sorry, but running 5 miles won't even burn 2 donuts.

Some of us burn way more than 400 cals running 5 miles... I run 5 in 50, burning roughly 1050 cals... If I up my pace to 5 in 45, I burn slightly more. Big dudes burn lots of cals running. Would have to run 10 miles to really make up for all those donuts, but, WTF, it's one day.
  • meredith1123
    meredith1123 Posts: 843 Member
    Options
    I cant.

my mom told me when i was a kid that i was allergic to doughnuts.

eh, well that's what she told me anyway and so i'm forced to continue on with this belief. ;p
  • TheBeerRunner
    TheBeerRunner Posts: 2,777 Member
    Options
    I cant.

my mom told me when i was a kid that i was allergic to doughnuts.

eh, well that's what she told me anyway and so i'm forced to continue on with this belief. ;p

Bring an epipen? :laugh:
  • skparker2
    skparker2 Posts: 132
    Options
    I hate Krispy Kreme, can I just run the five miles instead??? ;)

I'm depressed FOR you. Krispy Kreme is so far gone amazing, it's heavenly. How can you deny a glazed donut?!? :(
  • NYCNika
    NYCNika Posts: 611 Member
    Options
    200 cal is one of the "cheapest" donuts. They go up to 400 calories per donut, depending on which one.

I don't even burn 600 running 5 miles.
  • leebesstoad
    leebesstoad Posts: 1,186 Member
    Options
    Sorry to be a killjoy, but 7700 people at over $5 bucks a dozen, would be almost another $40,000 for the Children's Hospital. Really? If the goal was to raise money for the kids, just do it without the doughnuts and give the extra 40k to the kids.

Fun hater.

Have all the fun you want. Just be honest about it. It isn't about the kids. Self-indulgence with kids as a secondary thought. If the kids were the primary motivation, ditch the doughnuts and give the money to the kids. Is honesty too much to ask for? It's like all these galas the uber-rich have for whatever charity they are raising money for. It's simply a rataionalization for a party.

I thought self-indulgence is why a lot of us needed to be here in the first place?
  • taunto
    taunto Posts: 6,420 Member
    Options

Fairly certain KK donates them, at least in part

Then make the cash contribution and the money goes to the kids. Same difference. But as it is, KK uses this as a marketing tool as well. Any "in-kind" donation of dougnuts is certainly less than the value of the marketing and corporate "goodwill" they might generate. And it isn't about the kids. It's about KK.

I am not really sure what you're trying to be angry at. KK donates donuts, they get some publicity and tax deduction, they sponsor with some money for advertisement etc, its a good catchy gimmick, people get donuts, kids get some money.

Or are you angry that a business is making money/getting publicity. You know, being a business isn't an evil thing. Business publicity isn't an evil thing. Profit isn't an evil thing. Businesses pay people salaries and keep the economy running...
  • sparrow0716
    Options
    This is one of the best events you can every witness in NC if you get the chance to go! I saw it while touring NC State about four years ago. The costumes and camaraderie are hilarious!! (Plus, it's not a bad excuse to eat Krispy Kreme.)