Macros & Nutrients Question

Options
Hi...I'm having trouble eating enough calories but I am over my nutrient count/macros everyday. What am I doing wrong?

Replies

• modmom1
    modmom1 Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    If you're setting your macros as percentages of your total calories, then that can't really happen. What are your calories and p/c/f grams set at? What percentages are you aiming for. I'll gladly help you out. I'm sure its a setting error somewhere
  • MTDDS18
    MTDDS18 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    macros are what make up calories. 4 calories are in a gram of protein and carbohydrate and 9 calories are in a gram of fat.

Your macros should literally add up to your calorie goal.
  • macsmom07
    macsmom07 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Thanks ladies! I'm set at:
    1500 Calories
    50% Protein
    10% Carb
    40% Fat
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    Would you be comfortable opening your diary so we can take a look? It could be something simple like an inaccurate food entry, but it would likely help to see what's happening.
  • macsmom07
    Options
    Sure! How do I do that?
  • macsmom07
    Options
    I just checked and my diary is set to public
  • diannethegeek
    Options
    Now I'm confused. Your calories are way low, but you don't appear to be going over your macros? The only one you're consistently over on is carbs (which makes sense since you have it set fairly low). But, for instance, yesterday you still had 21 grams of fat to use and 69 grams of protein.
  • macsmom07
    Options
    What do you suggest I do to get more calories in? I feel like if I eat more I'll never loose weight. Am I just eating the wrong things? Ugh as soon as think I've figured it out I'm not sure I'm eating correctly. (Minus the bacon today lol that was a treat ; )
  • diannethegeek
    Options
    Given your low carb goals, I don't see why bacon would be a bad thing.

You might take this question over to the low carb group. They'd probably be able to give you more targeted suggestions that I could: http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/394-low-carber-daily-forum-the-lcd-group
  • mom22dogs
    mom22dogs Posts: 470 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    Unless you aren't tracking everything, you are really under calories most days, anywhere from 300-800 calories, that is why you are under your macros. You aren't eating anywhere near the calorie goal. I don't understand how you think you are over your calories.
  • macsmom07
    edited May 2016
    Options
    But my macros % goals are always over?
  • diannethegeek
    Options
    macsmom07 wrote: »
    But my macros % are always over?

The percentages don't matter as much as the gram #s. The percentages will go up and down as you eat throughout the day. If you took what you're eating now and added 500 calories of foods much higher in fat & protein then it would balance the %s back out.
  • mom22dogs
    Options
    No, they aren't. They are usually under. I don't think you understand how to read the numbers. At the very bottom of your diary, everything adds up. The last line says REMAINING: then you go across, and the green numbers mean those are the REMAINING MACROS you need to eat. If the number is red, for fat, sugar and carbs, then you've gone over, but I don't think you have in the last week anyway.
  • macsmom07
    Options
    Ahhh that makes sense :D
    Feel like I was having a blonde moment there! So just watch the grams?
  • Psychgrrl
    Psychgrrl Posts: 3,177 Member
    Options
    Your diary is closed, so I can't see what you're seeing, but are you sure you're reading the percentages/macros correctly? I totally mean that in the nicest way possible--there's a lot to get used to when you start up, and even after you've been here a while, all those numbers can run together. :blush:

You can't be over 100%. It's not possible--I promise! Could you be confusing the weekly breakdown with the daily one?
  • mom22dogs
    Options
    I think I finally know how you are thinking. One meal might be carb heavy, so it might say 70% carbs, but its for the entire day, it averages out. You need to just look at the total numbers for remaining grams for the day.
  • MsBuzzkillington
    MsBuzzkillington Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    Your macros are over in certain areas, rarely, on your foodlog because you are going over the goal for that particular macro.

So say you eat 200 calories of your goal in carbs, you're going to go over your carb goal. But you aren't going to go over your total goal because your total goal is 1500. You aren't going to stay under all your macro numbers if you eat a very small amount either, because you're going to end up eating higher amounts of one macro type some days.

This is very very very important. If your settings are to lose "x pounds" a week, then the goal MFP has for you is putting you at a deficit. So that means, and I PROMISE it's true, you will lose weight eating 1500 calories a day. The absolute most important thing is to learn healthy habits and to fuel your body properly with nutrients. It is very very important you hit 1500 or close to it, every. single. day. You must, it's important. I know it's scary because there's tons of misinformation about what it takes to lose weight and if you eat this or that you'll gain. But that's just not true.

Do not eat so little calories, do not do it.

Eat 1500 and you will feel better, have more energy, not be miserable, and lose weight.
  • macsmom07
    Options
    Thanks everyone! This all helps a lot! Looking forward to today and what I get accomplished!