Gaining muscle

Options
I am 5 10/11 198lbs I've recently lost 90/100lbs and I wanna start building real muscle over the next few yrs,my questions are should I lose more weight and how to get over my fear of gaining more weight how much should i be gaining and and my calories,should they be in a deficit or surplus how much so and and routines thoughts and any advice will be apreciated

Replies

• psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,401 MFP Moderator
    edited May 2016
    Options
    At your current stats, i suspect you will still need to cut. I would suggest doing it slowly (10% to 15% less than maintenance calories) and follow a progressive lifting program. I would also look to get around 150g of protein (this will probably put you btw .8 to 1g of pro per lb of lbm) and work on good form. If you keep working on getting stronger and working hard, the rules will come as you lean out. Below is a list of programs you can choose from.

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10332083/which-lifting-program-is-the-best-for-you/p1
  • WBB55
    WBB55 Posts: 4,131 Member
    Options
    I think you'll be happier in the long run if you lose 20 more pounds before you start to build/bulk muscle. Most definitely lift weights to preserve muscle, because it's easier to preserve than build new. But I think lose more first. I know you're going to get more and more sad at the deflated areas, but it's worth it.

Once you're ready to bulk, it can be a hurdle to eat above maintenance, but for me it helped to understand what my maintenance really was. I maintained for a couple years before trying to build anything. By then, I was so thrilled to see an increase in performance I gladly welcomed the weight if it meant I was accomplishing my performance goals.
  • Longevity100
    Longevity100 Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    I am 5 10/11 198lbs I've recently lost 90/100lbs and I wanna start building real muscle over the next few yrs,my questions are should I lose more weight and how to get over my fear of gaining more weight how much should i be gaining and and my calories,should they be in a deficit or surplus how much so and and routines thoughts and any advice will be apreciated

1. Great job on your 90/100lb weight loss

2. You can start weight training now, no need to weight to lose more weight

3. What does your daily eating regimen look like? What types of foods do you have in your kitchen?

4. What is your experience like with weight training and exercise in general? What does your current program look like?