How many days a week is it safe to...

Options

Replies

• Losewtforlife4him
    Losewtforlife4him Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    And using light weights 3-10 lbs have produced amazing results thank you! :wink:

3lbs? I think my water bottle weighs more than that! As others mentioned, 3lbs weights for a million reps will help with endurance, but not muscle building.

Maybe I'm confused with all of this. Sorry. I am not trying to build muscle or be a muscle builder or anything like that lol! Just sculpting and toning and 3 lbs is great for many exercises. Try the fitness blender videos on you tube and tell me they don't work! 3-10 lbs is great for toning arms

yes, you are confused, for starters - 'toning' is not a thing![/http://www.health.com/health/m/gallery/0,,20681364,00.html
  • singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    Options
    http://www.aworkoutroutine.com/muscle-tone/ a better source than a women's magazine
  • johnnylakis
    johnnylakis Posts: 812 Member
    Options
    One day off, one day on. As an alternative, you can do upper body one day, lower body the next.
  • Losewtforlife4him
    Options
    And using light weights 3-10 lbs have produced amazing results thank you! :wink:

3lbs? I think my water bottle weighs more than that! As others mentioned, 3lbs weights for a million reps will help with endurance, but not muscle building.

Maybe I'm confused with all of this. Sorry. I am not trying to build muscle or be a muscle builder or anything like that lol! Just sculpting and toning and 3 lbs is great for many exercises. Try the fitness blender videos on you tube and tell me they don't work! 3-10 lbs is great for toning arms

yes, you are confused, for starters - 'toning' is not a thing!

Muscle + less fat = TONE
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options

Muscle + less fat = TONE

No. It's not no matter how much you want it to be.
  • K2up
    K2up Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    It has helped me to stick to a weekly whole body schedule. Every day I typically work two different muscle groups which allows the others to rest/recover. Right now I do 2 days of cardio (right now running) and 3 strenghtening. Running in between strengening helps me recover from being sore before doing another session. I do the strengthening exercises for my legs on Fridays so I can recover from being sore from that over the weekend before running again. That way I know I can go all in, without having to worry about it making me miserably sore for the next days exercises.

It may be helpful to you if you find a weekly whole body plan online. Especially since doing the same exercise over and over, day after day can lead to being weak in areas which may cause injurys. I like to switch things up a lot to keep everything interesting (mentally and physically benefiting).

Also, completely resting a minimum of 1 day a week is a must. It has been proven that a person can be more productive if they do.

I have found these tips to be useful for me. Hopefully they will help you out too. Happy exercising!
  • fishaan
    fishaan Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I am a female and have been doing light cardio, by this I mean no more than 30 minutes a day, and the remainder is strength. I lift 10 pound weights as a minimal up to fifteen. My strength is anywhere from 30-60 min. A day 6 days a week. I am not bulky! I have great definition a flat tummy (after two kids)! I have lost 19 lbs in 2 mos on a 1560 cal "diet"! I really just eat healthy, but never tell myself or anyone I'm on a diet because I'm not! I do squats, lunges, plies, (all with weights) strength training is the key! You won't look like a man! Promise!
  • cnbbnc
    cnbbnc Posts: 1,267 Member
    Options

If you're pleased with what you've accomplished so far then that's great op. What everyone is trying to convey though is that...if as those weights are getting easier to handle (which they will) and you keep gradually increasing the weight to make it more challenging again...you'll get an even better result. The trick to strengthening/tightening/firming/or toning if that's what you prefer calling it is to keep moving up in weight. You'll keep reducing fat while getting stronger and more firm. That's what you're after...right?

• broseidonkingofbrocean
    broseidonkingofbrocean Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    You could technically workout the same bodypart every 24 hours, takes the CNS roughly 24 hours to recover completely. Would I suggest this? Probably not unless your a competing athlete and need to have that 1 lagging body part catch up. Muscle fatigue does play part in this but what I noticed from doing workouts often, I get less sore. I've done the everyday squat challenge after work outs and while it was taxing I didn't feel like I was over stressing my CNS (look up symptoms of central nervous system fatigue to see what it feels like).

At the end of the day do what you think is best for you. If you think you need a break take one, see if that helps.
  • Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,210 Member
    Options

You also lost weight the past few months, correct? That is the primary reason you look more toned - everything else is incidental. Light weights produce minimal muscle growth.. probably not enough growth to prevent the skinny, undefined look you mentioned. That's why most good trainers recommend progressing to relatively heavy weight.

About the programs you mentioned, if they claim their exercises lean out particular parts of the body, they don't understand human physiology. Or they are just telling people what they want to hear.. which is deceptive.

Anyway, check Youtube for "trapezius stretch" - see if that helps. :+1:
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    I know that the fat loss would be showing the muscle more however what would the point be in all of the exercises that people come up with such as fitness blender, Denise Austin arms, etc. if they didn't work?!
    What's the point? To sell exercise videos and products and make lots of money.

Ever seen a Bowflex commercial, with the big bodybuilding dude and the woman with the tight, lean, muscular body? Protip: they didn't get that way using a Bowflex machine.

...I've seen lots of thin people with no muscle definition in their arms and they have 0 fat, so what do you say to that?...
    What do I say to that? Skinnyfat and/or lack of muscle mass. If they have no muscle definition, they definitely don't have 0 fat (and nobody can survive at zero fat or anywhere close to it anyway - a woman who is completely ripped will still be around 10% BF). No muscle definition means there's still subcutaneous fat covering the muscles.
  • MichelleLea122
    MichelleLea122 Posts: 332 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    fishaan wrote: »
    I am a female and have been doing light cardio, by this I mean no more than 30 minutes a day, and the remainder is strength. I lift 10 pound weights as a minimal up to fifteen. My strength is anywhere from 30-60 min. A day 6 days a week. I am not bulky! I have great definition a flat tummy (after two kids)! I have lost 19 lbs in 2 mos on a 1560 cal "diet"! I really just eat healthy, but never tell myself or anyone I'm on a diet because I'm not! I do squats, lunges, plies, (all with weights) strength training is the key! You won't look like a man! Promise!

I'm sorry, 10-15lbs isn't exactly strength training, more like weighted cardio.

On a separate note, OP check your posture when using the computer. I found that most of my neck pain came from poor posture when working on a computer, rather than strength training.
  • jessef593
    jessef593 Posts: 2,272 Member
    Options
    Just your arms? What about upper/lower back, deltoids, pecs, quads, glutes, hams, forearms, traps, calves, abdominals?
  • Losewtforlife4him
    Options
    fishaan wrote: »

These are all exactly what I do plus run and bike daily. I've lost 25 lbs in 3 months and also have flat abs and also have 2 kids, lol! Not bulky at all but don't want to get that way as some people on here make it seem like 3-10 lbs is nothing when I use them for triceps and those kick butt!! At least mine, haha! I'm talking exercising my arms to the point of fatigue if that's possible? It's from a fitness blender workout that totally works. Some other person commented about whether or not I do just arms. No...I'm doing ALL of it. Biceps, triceps, using my own weight also to do the tricep dips, push ups, etc but also using weights with plies, lunges, squats, etc.

• Losewtforlife4him
    Options
    Cherimoose wrote: »
    Chieflrg wrote: »
    Lots of reps at extreme low weight generally doesn't equate to too much.
    Of course low weights without progression won't make you stronger either.
    If your body needs a break it will tell you. Part of lifting is listening to it.

It's definitely working as I have tone and definition now so that's a good thing.

That's probably from overall fat loss. ;)

Tone and definition would be from sculpting the muscles using weights. Fat loss is from diet. Both together definitely help!

you can't sculpt your muscles. If you want muscle growth you have to use a progressive overload program. Doing the same thing over and over isn't going to make you stronger or change your muscle size. It's pretty much an endurance exercise.

Are there any online workouts that you would recommend?

• Losewtforlife4him
    Options
    randomtai wrote: »

Muscle + less fat = TONE

Do you lift? What are your recommendations?
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options
    randomtai wrote: »

Muscle + less fat = TONE

Do you lift? What are your recommendations?

I started with a progressive strength program called Stronglifts 5x5. There's a bunch of info online.