How many days a week is it safe to...

Options

Replies

• singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    Options
    I second strong lifts. I did that until I became an intermediate and now I am doing a different program.
  • Losewtforlife4him
    Losewtforlife4him Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    randomtai wrote: »
    And using light weights 3-10 lbs have produced amazing results thank you! :wink:

3lbs? I think my water bottle weighs more than that! As others mentioned, 3lbs weights for a million reps will help with endurance, but not muscle building.

Maybe I'm confused with all of this. Sorry. I am not trying to build muscle or be a muscle builder or anything like that lol! Just sculpting and toning and 3 lbs is great for many exercises. Try the fitness blender videos on you tube and tell me they don't work! 3-10 lbs is great for toning arms

yes, you are confused, for starters - 'toning' is not a thing!

Muscle + less fat = TONE

No. It's not no matter how much you want it to be.

Do you lift? What are your recommendations?

I started with a progressive strength program called Stronglifts 5x5. There's a bunch of info online.

I will check into this. Thanks!

• Losewtforlife4him
    Options
    I second strong lifts. I did that until I became an intermediate and now I am doing a different program.

Haha not sure I'll ever become an intermediate since I've only used light weights but I'll check this out. Thanks!
  • Losewtforlife4him
    Options
    And using light weights 3-10 lbs have produced amazing results thank you! :wink:

3lbs? I think my water bottle weighs more than that! As others mentioned, 3lbs weights for a million reps will help with endurance, but not muscle building.

Maybe I'm confused with all of this. Sorry. I am not trying to build muscle or be a muscle builder or anything like that lol! Just sculpting and toning and 3 lbs is great for many exercises. Try the fitness blender videos on you tube and tell me they don't work! 3-10 lbs is great for toning arms

Muscle + less fat = TONE

I started with a progressive strength program called Stronglifts 5x5. There's a bunch of info online.

Uhh...no. Not for me. Just saw a video. Kudos to you guys but this isn't my type of workout. Thanks anyway :smile:
  • singingflutelady
    Options
    You switch to intermediate programs once you stop consistently progressing in programs like strong lifts. It is not about being able to lift a specific weight so yes, you will become an intermediate one day :)
  • Losewtforlife4him
    Options
    You switch to intermediate programs once you stop consistently progressing in programs like strong lifts. It is not about being able to lift a specific weight so yes, you will become an intermediate one day :)

Thanks for the vote of confidence but wow. Looks pretty tough!
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options

Muscle + less fat = TONE

Uhh...no. Not for me. Just saw a video. Kudos to you guys but this isn't my type of workout. Thanks anyway :smile:

*shrug* More weights for me.
  • Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,210 Member
    Options
    Guys, why did you scare her away with Stronglifts. OP, start with New Rules of Lifting for Women. Very popular program. You got this! :+1:
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    fishaan wrote: »
    I am a female and have been doing light cardio, by this I mean no more than 30 minutes a day, and the remainder is strength. I lift 10 pound weights as a minimal up to fifteen. My strength is anywhere from 30-60 min. A day 6 days a week. I am not bulky! I have great definition a flat tummy (after two kids)! I have lost 19 lbs in 2 mos on a 1560 cal "diet"! I really just eat healthy, but never tell myself or anyone I'm on a diet because I'm not! I do squats, lunges, plies, (all with weights) strength training is the key! You won't look like a man! Promise!

I'm sorry, 10-15lbs isn't exactly strength training, more like weighted cardio.

On a separate note, OP check your posture when using the computer. I found that most of my neck pain came from poor posture when working on a computer, rather than strength training.

I don't understand this attitude. Strength training: any training that increases strength by gradual progressive overload of a muscle group. The weight could be zero pounds (body weight), 5 pounds, or 500 pounds and it could all be strength training. Weight being lighter than your usual does not make it cardio. If 10 rips or so of any given weight feel reasonably hard it's definitely improving strength. Weights that can be maintained for a lot of rips are not exactly cardio either, they don't improve your aerobic capacity in any significant way. They do cross into the muscle endurance category. I don't understand using "cardio" as some sort of a derogatory term. Cardiovascular fitness is awesome!
  • randomtai
    Options
    Cherimoose wrote: »
    Guys, why did you scare her away with Stronglifts. OP, start with New Rules of Lifting for Women. Very popular program. You got this! :+1:

That one turned me off when I first started. *shrug*
    I was asked what worked for me.
  • randomtai
    Options
    I am a female and have been doing light cardio, by this I mean no more than 30 minutes a day, and the remainder is strength. I lift 10 pound weights as a minimal up to fifteen. My strength is anywhere from 30-60 min. A day 6 days a week. I am not bulky! I have great definition a flat tummy (after two kids)! I have lost 19 lbs in 2 mos on a 1560 cal "diet"! I really just eat healthy, but never tell myself or anyone I'm on a diet because I'm not! I do squats, lunges, plies, (all with weights) strength training is the key! You won't look like a man! Promise!

On a separate note, OP check your posture when using the computer. I found that most of my neck pain came from poor posture when working on a computer, rather than strength training.

I don't understand this attitude. Strength training: any training that increases strength by gradual progressive overload of a muscle group. The weight could be zero pounds (body weight), 5 pounds, or 500 pounds and it could all be strength training. Weight being lighter than your usual does not make it cardio. If 10 rips or so of any given weight feel reasonably hard it's definitely improving strength. Weights that can be maintained for a lot of rips are not exactly cardio either, they don't improve your aerobic capacity in any significant way. They do cross into the muscle endurance category. I don't understand using "cardio" as some sort of a derogatory term. Cardiovascular fitness is awesome!

How is calling something cardio derogatory? :huh:
  • singingflutelady
    Options
    Cherimoose wrote: »

That one turned me off when I first started. *shrug*
    I was asked what worked for me.

Me too. I found new rules scarier as it is more complicated than SL
  • amusedmonkey
    Options

How is calling something cardio derogatory? :huh:

Exactly! That's what I don't understand. It puzzles me when some people use it to imply a certain exercise is not up to the standard.
  • amusedmonkey
    edited June 2016
    Options
    Back to OP. What people here are trying to say is that lifting a light weight many times is not likely to get you the results you are looking for. Lifting a light weight many times does not help tone your muscles the way you want it to. What it trains is the ability of your muscles to last longer doing a certain movement. This is called endurance (or muscle stamina if you prefer) and it does have its uses, but unfortunately it's not the best at toning your muscles even though it looks like it's doing so because you are losing fat and exposing your existing muscles in addition to them being "plump" due to the blood rushing in from exercise and being filled with a bit of water for repair and recovery.

You don't have to follow any of the programs mentioned above if they scare you. To get the results you want pick a program you like and do a test drive: is the amount of weight you are using for any exercise kicking your butt if you do it 5-15 times in a row in a nice controlled manner without rest? Are you able to lift it more than 15 times without rest? If it's kicking your butt in less than 15 repetitions and you are unable to do more without twisting your form in weird ways or taking a break you are at the correct weight for you. If you can do more, the weight you are using is too light for you.

Once you find the right weight for you, you will need to continue increasing it gradually over time when you find yourself fit enough to lift it for more consecutive times than usual (it's starting to become easier). Gradually increasing the weight whenever your strength outgrows a certain weight helps you continue improving the strength of your muscles and the way they look.

Also try not to focus on one part of your body over others. This would leave you looking unbalanced and may actually lead to muscle imbalances that could affect your posture. Training your whole body is a good idea in many ways, not just in terms of looks.
  • MichelleLea122
    MichelleLea122 Posts: 332 Member
    Options

I wasn't using cardio in a derogatory term at all. Besides strength training, I also love doing cardio. All I meant by this was low weight/high reps is more of an aerobic exercise, rather than an anaerobic one. While I suppose this is mostly semantics, I do think it's important to differentiate. Yes it does all fall under the umbrella of 'strength training', but doing 100 reps with 10lb weights is rather different than doing 10 reps with 100lbs.
  • amusedmonkey
    edited June 2016
    Options

I wasn't using cardio in a derogatory term at all. Besides strength training, I also love doing cardio. All I meant by this was low weight/high reps is more of an aerobic exercise, rather than an anaerobic one. While I suppose this is mostly semantics, I do think it's important to differentiate. Yes it does all fall under the umbrella of 'strength training', but doing 100 reps with 10lb weights is rather different than doing 10 reps with 100lbs.

Thank you for clarifying. I suppose it was more of a semantics issue.

Editing for context: When I was first starting I remember getting a backlash for only doing bodyweight squats and one of the things it was called was "cardio". It puzzled me to no end, because starting out I was struggling to do more than 4 consecutive bodyweight squats unassisted and would fail on the 5th. In my mind I was challenging myself. Thankfully I am not the kind of person who is easily "butthurt" so I didn't care if they thought my exercise wasn't up to par and didn't attempt something that might have been way over my capabilities.
  • Losewtforlife4him
    Options
    Thanks all for your help here. I'm doing just fine with what I'm doing and think my form was off. When I am doing the you tube videos, I'm watching from my phone. I think I've strained my neck sometimes trying to watch that while doing my exercises. It's all good though now!
  • Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    I would guess the original poster's problem is posture as someone mentioned.

To be honest there are many people in manufacturing, waeehusing, etc jobs that are doing repetitive work moving significantly more than 3-10 pounds for 8 hours or more 5 days a week

Not over training
  • ShrinkinMel
    ShrinkinMel Posts: 982 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    Depends on the intensity but in general if you are working your whole body with weights in a single day then I would say 3 is max, more would be pushing it. You need 48 hours of recovery time(what I've been told by books & trainers) for each muscle so if you do them in groups you could lift almost daily alternating muscle groups. I do about 4 days a week alternating upper and lower usually.

It is a shame that so many women are led to believe they'd bulk up. Or even believe that because of past experiences. When it was likely water and or increase in calories shooting weight up temporarily because I know for myself lifting causes the recovery period that I'm often more hungry during.