Weekly grocery bill

Options
Brocksterdanza
Brocksterdanza Posts: 208 Member
edited May 2016 in Health and Weight Loss
My wife and i are almost 2 weeks in to eating clean again and this is something that came up in our discussion. We are also working on tightening the reigns of our spending and waste for financial reasons. We have a 4 year old daughter as well. We calculated that in the last several months, we are spending nearly 850 dollars on food. Now granted this is groceries and eating out. I see all over the Internet that families of 4 or more are eating for under 600 a month. How do they do it? My wife says eating cleaner is much more expensive. Is this true? What are the tricks? How much do your families spend? Thanks all!

Replies

• suzyjane1972
    suzyjane1972 Posts: 612 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    Why do you feel the need to eat clean. ...depending on what I eat I can spend £20 in the week on good quality nutritious food.
  • Brocksterdanza
    Options
    In eating clean i mean healthier... we are working on hitting our macros and cutting out the processed foods as much as possible.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,930 Member
    Options
    Depends where you live.

Here in Tasmania, food is expensive.
  • Brocksterdanza
    Options
    I'm in the United States.
  • aimeelav
    aimeelav Posts: 26 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    I feed our family of 7 for a little less than 800 per month. I make all our dinners ( my husband and I eat out maybe once a month).my husband takes salmon, tuna or chicken in his lunches most days.
    Breakfast is toast, eggs or oatmeal most dinners are chicken, fish or pasta plus veggies/sides once a week we have pork/beef.
    I do buy some "snacky" things like crackers but most snacks are cheese, yogurt fruit etc. The only drinks I buy are our milks and coffee and an occasional package of juice boxes for the kids
  • ilex70
    ilex70 Posts: 727 Member
    Options
    There are luxury items in all categories. So cost depends on what you buy and how much you have to throw out. Eating clean can mean anything, healthy and processed foods is unprecise too. Protein rich foods are usually the most expensive, so if hitting macros means you eat a lot of lean meat and fish, it will be expensive. Cooking from scratch with simple single food ingredients can be cheap if you know what to buy. Any claim of a food being "diet foods", "health" food, "organic", all adds to the bill.

If you stick to basics like rice, pasta, oatmeal, beans and lentils, milk and butter, tuna, eggs, pork and chicken, oil, peanut butter, apples, oranges, bananas, potatoes, onions, carrots, frozen vegetables and berries, and look at the price tag, your moneys will go a lot further. Plan meals, buy in bulk, buy in season, cook, avoid waste, are the main "rules" of this game.

That bolded bit for sure.

IME the people who don't spend a lot fall into one or more of the following:

1) menu plan from what is on special each week
    2) shop multiple stores for the best prices
    3) meal plan and/or batch cook
    4) use shopping apps and coupons
    5) prioritize $ over nutrition...not you, but a lot of people on coupon sites

Cheap protein sources (eggs, dark meat chicken, fattier cuts of meat, beans/lentils) don't really work for me because either I don't like them, or they have a higher proportion of calories to protein. I spend probably $135-ish on protein supplementation a month just for me.
  • Wiseandcurious
    Wiseandcurious Posts: 730 Member
    Options
    Type "Healthy eating on a budget" in the search (link to search is above the first post usually). I am on mobile so copy-pasting the result links is too much hassle. This forum is full of discussion threads with great advice on your topic. There is even a "healthy eats for cheap" group where you can swap ideas and recipes.

In general, if you think you must buy certain "magic" foods or shop at special stores to eat "clean", yeah, it will be expensive and won't give you much added value. If you tale a cue from the hundreds of folks here who eat healthy and cheap by reducing eating out and processed foods and buying healthy cheap staples and cooking from scratch most days, it will probably be cheaper to eat healthy regardless wher you live.

Buying in bulk, preferring farmers markets or certain cheaper stores, buying in-seazon or frozen/canned and food prepping for the week seem to be the most -often quoted strategies.

Foods people seem to count on a lot:

Chicken (or other meats)
    Eggs
    Beans (can buy dried, even cheaper and healthtier) lentils etc etc.
    Staple fruit and veg like apples, carrots, cabbage, whatever is cheap and accessible wher you live
    Frozen fruit and veg - cheaper, less waste, and often picked ripe and with fewer chemical used to preserve appearance
    Rice

You've got all the basics of a healthy diet right there...
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    My wife has a cousin who was a stay-home mom and raised 7 healthy kids in a trailer on her husband's minimum wage job feeding them what she could put together from a list such as Wiseandcurious posted above.
  • rsleighty
    rsleighty Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    What everybody else said here. I feed my family of four (including two teenage male eating machines) for around $600 per month. This includes soda, junk food and frozen/convenience food for said eating machines and boxed cereal for the hubby. Oh, and plenty of taco fixings. Can't feed teenagers without tacos. The rest is veggies, fruit, chicken, tuna, rice, potatoes, quinoa and dried beans of several varieties.
    We live in SW PA, by the way. Cost of living is not so bad here.
  • abatonfan
    abatonfan Posts: 1,123 Member
    Options
    This stuff might be super simple (and a lot of yins are probably doing this), but I was surprised at how much I saved by doing this:
    • The less packaged/processed the food is, especially with some produce, I've noticed that it's cheaper. A 5lb bag of cut kale/collard greens is cheaper per pound than the prepackaged/boxed kale salad blend, and buying a head of kale ends up being cheaper per pound than the 5lb bag of chopped kale. The chopped pepper/onion mix often ends up being double/triple the price for the same amount of unprepared peppers/onions. Cut and washed strawberries are often more expensive at my grocery store than the unprepped ones. Dry beans are cheaper per pound than canned beans.
    • Buy in bulk. The 900g container of Greek yogurt (and portioning out 150g) is often cheaper per 100g than buying 6 150g containers. A 5lb bag of green beans is often cheaper per lb than the 2.5lb bag (I always try to buy in bulk and plan my meals around those foods so that little goes to waste, or I choose sturdier products that won't immediately go bad)
    • Store brand/generic everything -I've noticed very little difference in quality, but I often can save 30%+ compared to if I bought a national name brand. My town is getting an Aldi, and I am anxiously waiting for it because of all the amazing (and cheaper) produce and packaged goods (I feel like a little kid impatiently waiting for Christmas). Local farmer's markets are also really good for produce/groceries and tend to be a bit cheaper.
    • Buy meat on sale and then freeze it. If there's a really good deal on chicken, I'll buy in bulk and freeze whatever I won't be able to eat up that week.
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    About $350-550 a month on food
    Family of 3- 2 adults, 1 teenage girl
    Kansas, USA
    No special diets. Everyone eating food prepared at home except one meal per week. Not eating organic.
    Meal planning is helpful for spending less. Eating several meatless meals per week (dry beans and lentils are cheap). Eating less beef and more chicken thighs or whole chicken. Making a big pot of soup once a week. Using what we buy. Buying generic or store brand items. Sticking to the carefully made grocery list. Only going to the store once a week- if we run out or forget something it goes on the list for the next week.
    I drink mostly water.
    I eat things like:
    Breakfast- Greek yogurt, granola bars, cereal with milk, sandwich, dinner leftovers, fruit, cottage cheese
    Lunch- sandwich, salad, or dinner leftovers
    Dinner- something different every night of the month.
    Snacks- things like fruit, chips, popcorn, pretzels, chocolate, cookies, granola bar, carrots, celery, broccoli, trail mix, deviled eggs, pickles, cottage cheese

I post recipes and my monthly meal plan on my blog. https://lounmoun.wordpress.com/

I find food ideas on Pinterest a lot.
    http://www.budgetbytes.com has tasty cost conscious recipes.

• ElphabaWeasley
    ElphabaWeasley Posts: 47 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    My boyfriend and I spend between $50-$75 per week on groceries, depending on if we are out of certain staple items. This comes out to $200-$300 a month. We eat a lot of eggs, maybe 8 or so a week. We also don't go out to eat. We might go for a Sheetz a run every other week, but that's about it. I personally love overnight oats (oatmeal, yogurt, and fruit) and tend to alternate eggs with toast and oatmeal for breakfast. My boyfriend is big on eggs in the morning and if he is not feeling that he will have cereal. We always have wraps/sandwiches for lunch. I try to roast some bell peppers each week to use in those. We don't buy expensive lunch meat and never pay more than $4/pound. Is it lower quality? Probably, but we are broke lol. Supper is when I really get creative though. I cook one meal that will feed us for two suppers. I do this 3 times a week and the last day is kind of a "free for all" sort of day. I make a lot of soups/stews, tacos, casseroles, stir-frys etc. I try and make one new recipe a week. We also do a couple of meatless meals each week. Last week we had homemade veggie burgers and this week we are trying a chickpea curry. Meal planning helps A LOT. I spend about an hour each week making my menu, grocery lists, and then matching each item to the best price. We shop at 3 different store. Food Lion, Martin's, and a discount grocery store called Sharp Shopper. Sharp Shopper is incredible and I would look to see if you have something similar in your area. Almost everything that goes in the cart is $1 or less. We have gotten produce, spices, dried beans, frozen vegetables, snacky foods, rice, and so much more for amazing prices. We get our eggs there for $0.67 a dozen. I also use apps like ibotta, checkout 51, and savingsstar to save even more. I try and use coupons when I can, but not usually. Also generic brands are so much cheaper and taste exactly the same. I only buy generic brands. I find that a little preparation and shopping around goes a long way. Good luck! EDIT: I also use a protein powder if I find my macros are off for the day. I tend to eat too many carbs and not get the protein I need. The powder I get is a generic brand that is $10 for 12 servings. I buy it maybe every other month, as I don't use it every day.
  • 424a57
    424a57 Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    Reading through this topic is amazing. You guys are amazing to eat on $500-$800 per month. My family of 4 adults (in Southern California) spends over $1500 per month on food (groceries, restaurants, fast food).
  • AmazonMayan
    AmazonMayan Posts: 1,168 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    Plan your meals around what's on sale instead of shopping for a specific menu plan.

Stock up on sale items/ bulk items. It's different each week so eventually you have a big variety. Portion and freeze what can be frozen. Dry goods keep a long time (check dates on any mixes lIke pancake, cakes, etc.). Frozen fruit and vegetables almost always cheaper and more nutritious (picked and frozen IN season vs fresh out of season picked green and unripe so it can be shipped and stored longer). Fresh fruit and vegetables that are in season are much cheaper.

Buy first/check sales circulars then plan meals. I spend half what you spend for 4 of us and we eat very well.

Eat at home more often.
  • Wiseandcurious
    Wiseandcurious Posts: 730 Member
    Options
    424a57 wrote: »
    Reading through this topic is amazing. You guys are amazing to eat on $500-$800 per month. My family of 4 adults (in Southern California) spends over $1500 per month on food (groceries, restaurants, fast food).

From your perspective @424a57, why is that? Lots of eating out? Food generally more expensive where you live? Throw out food a lot? Eat truffles/foie gras a lot? Life standard (costs and salaries) double that of other states? Just curious, I am not in the US so wondering what a double (or triple) difference can come from.

• earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    First of all, your exact location in the US does make a difference in how much food costs (shipping costs, taxes both for the wholesaler/retailer, competition among retailers, how much is locally grown, etc) so the best comparison would be to someone else in your general area.

I spend about $60 a week for myself and live 30 minutes outside Milwaukee.
    • I eat out once per week but no more
    • I minimize my alcohol consumption
    • I make my own seltzer with a SodaStream and rarely buy a soda
    • I frequently shop at Aldi's for staples. They often have excellent produce with great sales.
    • I plan my menu for the week on Thursday when the sale ads come out. I see what meat is on sale and plan and buy accordingly
    • I eat a lot of eggs (currently 59¢ a dozen at Aldi's)
    • I buy fruits and veggies on sale or in season