My friends keep telling me that cutting calories won't help me lose weight

Options

Replies

• AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,359 Member
    Options
    WinoGelato wrote: »
    Jof, look at you, look at them. Case closed!

Weird bump is weird.

D'oh! I gotta remember to check those dates! ;)
  • CattOfTheGarage
    CattOfTheGarage Posts: 2,750 Member
    Options
    Zombie thread!
  • neldabg
    neldabg Posts: 1,452 Member
    Options
    I know this is old, but when I was in high school my friends told me the same thing. My biggest regret is that since my friends were top students, I believed them.
  • aneedforchange
    aneedforchange Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    I think losing those friends will help you lose weight lol because they are feeding you lies ( probably to sabotage because I don't think they sound that smart otherwise!)
  • cebreisch
    cebreisch Posts: 1,340 Member
    Options
    When I opt for a diet soda when we go out to eat, or I'll eat something I want just not as much of it, they tell me that's pointless and that they lost weight by, "going vegetarian" or "just by doing cardio" or "lifting weights" and I'm just really stinkin tired of it. They're trying to say my weight loss so far isn't legitimate. And pushing their ideas of healthy on to me. I apparently can't link protein and carbs to help with insulin spikes because that "defeats the big picture" and that i should work out for 3hrs per day to lose weight. It has really been pissing me off. I guess I'm just not going to talk about it to anyone, anymore. :(

I'm sorry - but they sounds like a bunch of morons. That may have worked for them - but they have no clue what works for you. I've not gone vegan, not just done cardio or lifted weights. I just changed what I ate. No exercise. And guess what - I lost 143 pounds doing that.

The best things that have helped me the most are:
    - focus on protein and the fats/carbs take care of themselves
    - increasing your fiber intake will help you stay fuller longer.

Both of those were recommended by nutritionists I was working with at the time. Yes, I gained back about 100 pounds, but not because I didn't go vegan or didn't exercise - life happened - job crap, my father passed away, I had a surgery that I had a really difficult time recovering from. I'm now sitting at 44 pounds lost. I've just lost about 8 pounds in a month and am back on track. I have about 150 pounds I want to lose before going and talking to a surgeon about excess skin removal. As I get closer to goal I do plan on trying to get more physically fit so the surgery won't throw me for a loop like the last one did.

I've also discovered along this path that there are just some people I cannot talk to about my weight loss efforts. They say stupid things that are negative. Find positive people in your life that you can talk to who will support your efforts.

• zoekhart
    zoekhart Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I've found that it's best that I don't tell people I'm dieting as they will have a range of responses and none of them will be positive.

1. "But you don't need to lose weight!" They're trying to be nice or they're fatter than you and think you're trying to say something bad about them. Or they just don't want you to lose weight because it threatens them.
    2. Try to "help" by suggesting ineffective or faddish diet tips that may have worked for them in the past but aren't a surefire way of losing weight if you don't base it on CICO. This type of person is usually well intentioned but just can't accept that other people do things differently.
    3. Not believe you can actually do it.
    4. Try to "help" by hawkishly watching everything you eat and commenting on it if it's not a salad, take it as permission to start making comments about your body, and generally try to catch you out. If you ever stop dieting before you reach your goal this person will probably gloat.

People are threatened by you losing weight successfully because it means that they might have to consider their own weight. In groups of women it upsets the 'order of attractiveness' which we all know is there. So you just have to not tell people you're dieting. It kind of sucks because I want to share my life with my friends and colleagues. But it seems dieting is like other women's beauty procedures like makeup and shaving and hair- you have to do it to be seen as acceptable in society but god forbid you talk about the time money and effort that goes into it. They want to think we just woke up like this.
  • brower47
    brower47 Posts: 16,356 Member
    Options
    Such an old thread!
  • Bob314159
    Bob314159 Posts: 1,178 Member
    Options
    Keep feeding the zombie thread
  • 0ssum_Bl0ss0m
    0ssum_Bl0ss0m Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I have found other people always have an opinion on what you consume and how you balance food and exercise. Screw it. Do what works for you. Talk to people here who will be supportive.
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Options
    Errbody got their own opinion. When I decided to lose weight, I didn't talk about it to anyone. I didn't want the scrutiny, questions, or "advice."
  • Merkavar
    Merkavar Posts: 3,082 Member
    Options
    everything the OP mentioned involved cutting calories in one way or another.
    Eat less, cutting calories
    Work out more, essentially the same as cutting calories
    Going vegetarian, they lost weight because they probably filled up on high volume low calorie veggies, so cut calories.

They all involved creating a calorie deficit.

Ignore them and move on. Tell them you don't want to hear it any more. Or every time they talk about it, donate $5 in their name to a charity they hate.

• Commander_Keen
    Commander_Keen Posts: 1,181 Member
    Options
    When I opt for a diet soda when we go out to eat, or I'll eat something I want just not as much of it, they tell me that's pointless and that they lost weight by, "going vegetarian" or "just by doing cardio" or "lifting weights" and I'm just really stinkin tired of it. They're trying to say my weight loss so far isn't legitimate. And pushing their ideas of healthy on to me. I apparently can't link protein and carbs to help with insulin spikes because that "defeats the big picture" and that i should work out for 3hrs per day to lose weight. It has really been pissing me off. I guess I'm just not going to talk about it to anyone, anymore. :(

The weight loss journey is a funny one.
    You will find on MFP people who Just did cardio to loose weight, weights, and diet as well.
    The perfect one for you is the one that works.

My suggestion to you is this. Go to the success stories here on MFP and see what the common thread is.
  • cathipa
    cathipa Posts: 2,991 Member
    Options

Your friends seem to buy into the bro science out there. Linking protein and carbs? Working out 3 hours a day? I'm just curious what they look like. If you are losing weight and are happy with your progress then keep doing what you are doing.

• KatzeDerNacht22
    KatzeDerNacht22 Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    Don't believe in people saying being a vegetarian will automatically help you lose weight, sure you may change your choices on some stuff, but when I was a vegetarian ( ethical reasons not health or a diet ) I ate like crap, lots of bread and rice, which aren't bad themselves!! but I really only ate that, no veggies no fruits no legumes, when I decided to go vegan ( again for ethical reasons, can't stress this enough) theeeen I learned how to properly eat :blush: You can have your deficit with the food or combine exercise and food, and it's best to be quiet about losing weight/fat with people cos they don't know stuff and say silly things.
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options

Weird bump is weird.

I've been away from the MFP forums for a very long time. Only checked today as we're snowed in with the Great Blizzard of 2017. Scroll back to see what I missed in this thread...and find this.

Way to keep it weird, MFP. :+1:
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,565 Member
    Options
    They just don't want to lose weight that way. They want you to suffer like they did.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

• Tacklewasher
    Tacklewasher Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    jofjltncb6 wrote: »

Weird bump is weird.

I've been away from the MFP forums for a very long time. Only checked today as we're snowed in with the Great Blizzard of 2017. Scroll back to see what I missed in this thread...and find this.

Don't know you, but you sure picked a couple of good threads to comment on :)
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,996 Member
    Options

Weird bump is weird.

Comforting, isn't it?
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options

Weird bump is weird.

Don't know you, but you sure picked a couple of good threads to comment on :)

It's a gift.