Bacon is not worth it

Options

Replies

• Escloflowne
    Escloflowne Posts: 2,038 Member
    Options
    Wait....so if I'm understanding some of you correctly, we shouldn't trust the MFP food database for calorie counting? But I can post progress pictures in my newsfeed now....surely they wouldn't build a vanity function without first tending to the very tools that make possible the diet and exercise tracking that brought us all here in the first place!?!?!?

SO MANY JUNK PICS ON NEWS FEEDS WHEN ALL THE DUDES FIGURE OUT YOU CAN POST ANYTHING!
  • xtina315
    xtina315 Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    My Turkey bacon is only 30 cals a slice
  • ejbronte
    ejbronte Posts: 867 Member
    Options
    TR0berts wrote: »
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    Bacon is the most overrated food.

lemurcat12 is now off the list of rational posters.

You can add me to that list ... never been a fan of pork in any case. Bacon is something I can take or leave.

But here's a quote from "The Yorker" I've always liked:
    (from newyorker.com/magazine/2008/03/10/scents-and-sensibility):

"Turin may be wrong about what appeals to the male neocortex, however. As Sanchez says, “The question that women casually shopping for perfume ask more than any other is this: ‘What scent drives men wild?’ After years of intense research, we know the definitive answer. It is bacon.”"
  • sarahlifts
    sarahlifts Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    I never thought id say that, but bqcon is not worth it. Too many calories. Im on a low calorie diet and 4 pieces of bacon has nearly 500 calories. Thats not enough food for that much of my daily allowance.

WTH type of bacon u eating? and a serving is 2 slices at 90 calories, BACON is always worth it Always. Its the candy of meats!
  • BillMcKay1
    BillMcKay1 Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    sarahlifts wrote: »
    I never thought id say that, but bqcon is not worth it. Too many calories. Im on a low calorie diet and 4 pieces of bacon has nearly 500 calories. Thats not enough food for that much of my daily allowance.

WTH type of bacon u eating? and a serving is 2 slices at 90 calories, BACON is always worth it Always. Its the candy of meats!

I think he is looking at the uncooked bacon, which includes all the fat that is cooked off. As someone else noted different countries also have different listing requirements. For example my Kirkland Costco low sodium bacon, Canadian version lists 230cal per 2 slices. The US version lists 90cal for 2 slices.
  • sarahlifts
    sarahlifts Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    BillMcKay1 wrote: »
    sarahlifts wrote: »

I think he is looking at the uncooked bacon, which includes all the fat that is cooked off. As someone else noted different countries also have different listing requirements. For example my Kirkland Costco low sodium bacon, Canadian version lists 230cal per 2 slices. The US version lists 90cal for 2 slices.

def looking at something wrong. I hope he gets an handle on this and enjoys bacon daily as I do. I get so mad when we run out. This is after avoiding all pork products for 23 years. I never knew the love I would have for bacon.
  • jdhcm2006
    jdhcm2006 Posts: 2,254 Member
    Options
    All this thread did was make me want bacon. Good thing I work near a diner, lol. But like everyone else said you're looking at a screwed up date entry.
  • srecupid
    srecupid Posts: 660 Member
    Options

WTF bacon are you eating? 45 calories for oscar meyer (meijer?)
  • Meganthedogmom
    Meganthedogmom Posts: 1,639 Member
    Options
    I use Turkey Bacon it is healthier

I used to think turkey bacon was somehow healthier than regular bacon. Until I looked at the calorie difference and it's only like 10 calories less than regular bacon per slice. Not worth it at all. AT. ALL.
  • srecupid
    srecupid Posts: 660 Member
    Options

I used to think turkey bacon was somehow healthier than regular bacon. Until I looked at the calorie difference and it's only like 10 calories less than regular bacon per slice. Not worth it at all. AT. ALL.

It's still tasty and is probably a little healthier (calories aren't everything). That being said i eat bacon maybe once a week. Totally not worth the tradeoff.
  • snowflake930
    snowflake930 Posts: 2,188 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options

^^True words!

Turkey bacon is not worth the calories, yuk.

Real bacon is well worth the calories, as with all foods, moderation and fit it in to your calories. Bacon candy is to die for!

• randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options
    srecupid wrote: »

It's still tasty and is probably a little healthier (calories aren't everything). That being said i eat bacon maybe once a week. Totally not worth the tradeoff.

Uh. Wha?
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    Turkey bacon is about half the calories so it is healthier for my diet. It is easier to cook and doesn't smell up the house so it's worth it to me. Add in that it tastes better :imo and it's a no brainer for me.

Now, if I am cooking something and want the bacon flavor, of course, it'll be chopped up pork bacon.

Otherwise though, turkey bacon is the winner for me.
  • Karen_can_do_this
    Karen_can_do_this Posts: 1,150 Member
    Options
    Op I hope you don't feel too bad for checking out the database. Thankfully the awesome forums have taught us to triple check the calories listed.

On another note, in Australia we have these amazing things called bacon chops. Just thought I'd put that out there :smiley:
  • snowflake930
    snowflake930 Posts: 2,188 Member
    Options
    mrsfitzyv8 wrote: »
    Op I hope you don't feel too bad for checking out the database. Thankfully the awesome forums have taught us to triple check the calories listed.

On another note, in Australia we have these amazing things called bacon chops. Just thought I'd put that out there :smiley:

Yum! Another reason to go to Australia!
  • michelleepotter
    michelleepotter Posts: 800 Member
    Options
    My daily breakfast is two pieces of bacon and one fried egg, mixed into a half serving of grits. So delicious and filling. Add a cup of coffee with milk and sugar, and it's only 323 calories for the whole meal.
  • VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    Options
    I just had 4 slices of maple smoked back bacon, 68g, for 184 calories. Worth it every day of the week. Add in the white English muffin and two eggs for a meal total of 459 and that's a pretty easy thing to fit into anyone's day.

You're welcome.

Oh and PS, my bacon gives the cooked (grilled) calorie value. And I always grill (as in under a very hot heat element in the oven grilled, not on the barbecue grilled) because it tastes better to me that way. Easy peasy!
  • vingogly
    vingogly Posts: 1,785 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    Three slices of bacon = 120 calories (or less depending on which database you look at). And if you drain your bacon and pat it dry it has about 9g of fat. The main problem with bacon is the salt (hypertension) and the nitrates (possible carcinogens), not the calories. And I eat it maybe a couple times a month so I'm not worried. The fat I had around my belly was the real killer, not the bacon I sometimes eat.