June (2016) Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• 5BeautifulDays
    5BeautifulDays Posts: 683 Member
    Options
    Had a great day today celebrating our oldest daughter's 21st birthday, but still had time to get in a couple miles this morning.

I'm grateful that as a stay-at-home mom I have plenty of time to train that doesn't bother my family. My husband often does his work-outs later at night, but I might be worried if he was out running then. And I don't think either of us would be happy if my running (or his if he did so) interfered with being there for the kids. We'd make it work just for hanging out with each other--but we brought these 5 people into the world and it's our job to look after them until they're grown.

exercise.png
  • HonuNui
    HonuNui Posts: 1,464 Member
    Options
    June goal.....run

6/1 rest
    6/2 3.59
    6/3 dog nursing
    6/4 worked unplanned, unexpected overtime. crap.
    6/5 5.39

Total 8.98

exercise.png

• Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the cheers on my 18k and pics, dear friends!

I gather the story behind the shoe tree is just random arty weirdness, which is nice. :smile:

No run today.

I'm supposed to be tapering before my participation in a relay team in an 80 km trail walk on Saturday/Sunday. (We'll all do about half of it.)

But I'm dying to run again. I don't have any soreness after the 18km yesterday.
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options
    @bradboughner5
    Hi Brad, saw your other threads, welcome to the site and the group! Good luck on your goals and development!
  • 4leighbee
    4leighbee Posts: 1,275 Member
    Options
    Hi friends! Four of the loudest gym miles ever this morning ... I encountered for the first time a gaggle of *men* at the gym - blah blah blah - and the gym music was jacked way up on 60s oldies music - consequently, my rock music was blaring to cover it all up. I'm hoping for three outside miles this afternoon - they should be nice and quiet, partially because of the hearing loss I probably caused myself this morning. ;)

exercise.png
  • 9voice9
    9voice9 Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    @bradboughner5 - Wow, that's a story.

I started ... moving about 8 years ago, when I was unhappy (disgusted, really) with pictures from Christmas morning with the kids - at how big I was and felt. I still do a run/walk, but have only started calling myself a "runner" in the last couple years.

I'm so sorry that you've had to go through what you have, but I'm glad you've found an outlet in running, and glad you've found your way to us. I look forward to journeying with you as you make your way back to wherever you want to be.
  • 4leighbee
    4leighbee Posts: 1,275 Member
    Options
    Hi I just started doing the couch to 5k program a couple weeks ago today being the start of week 3. I am pretty large still at 280lbs but have been doing ok with the walk runs so far. I was going to start a blog but couldn't figure out how and found this instead. I have ran 3 times this month so far as I run every second day and use the warm down starting today to hit the mile and a half mark. I am going to aim for 25 miles in the month of June. With my walk run today I am at 4.5 as I was not extending the warm downs before today hope it is ok that I am walk running and joined this group. A little about me I once weighed over 500 lbs and just recently got out of rehab where I found myself after overdosing on prescription drugs. I was clinically dead and brought back in the emergency room then in a coma for 4 days. While in rehab my wife left me and moved out with my daughter. While in rehab the only exercise we were allowed to do was walk with others. I made friends and walked with an avid runner and the rest is history. Running is a sanctuary for me I walked and lifted weights for a couple months before starting the 5k program. Looking to learn and share with others.

Thanks for sharing, Brad, and welcome to the group. Running has pulled many a good person out of their particular dark place. I wish you all the best. I think you'll find this group to be exceedingly supportive and friendly.
  • ceciliaslater
    ceciliaslater Posts: 457 Member
    Options
    On the discussion of marriage and running... I'm married to a non runner. I've run off and on our whole marriage, but didn't get into long distance until the last few years. Up until then, 5 miles was about tops for me.

My husband never says anything about my training runs, although I know the 3 hour training runs for my marathon sometimes got on his nerves. Something about taking up half of the weekend, I suppose... But that's only if he had plans to go somewhere. Otherwise, he's content working on his own projects (woodworking, truck restoration, etc) while I'm off galavanting across the land.

I will say that, in consideration of our relationship, I do not sign up for nearly as many races as I otherwise would. He doesn't ever stick around for those, unless they're very short. Usually just drops me off and heads to harbor freight or home depot (if he goes with me at all). Then I call him when I'm ready to be picked up. Lol.

It's a balancing act, but I think we have a good system going.
  • greenolivetree
    greenolivetree Posts: 1,282 Member
    Options
    Surgery day today. I will try to check in afterward. Scheduled to be at the hospital at 10:30 central.

Good luck!
  • greenolivetree
    greenolivetree Posts: 1,282 Member
    Options
    Welcome to @kevinrogers4 and @bradboughner5 :)
  • katharmonic
    katharmonic Posts: 5,720 Member
    Options
    Good luck with surgery today @celiaslater. Welcome @bradboughner5. I wish you the best in your running journey and I'm so glad you've found that as an outlet.

It's an absolutely gorgeous day here but it's my rest day. I will try to at least take the dog out for a nice long walk tonight if she's willing.

Have a great Monday everyone.
  • instantmartian
    instantmartian Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    I tumbled off the wagon and was run over by the rear wheel last month. Not only did I have little to no motivation after my craptastic race on May 1, I ended the month with two weeks of illness. I had a fever for a week straight. My doc says it was sinus infection, but as someone who had dealt with chronic sinusitis for the majority of her life, it felt like something very different for the first week and a half. Now, it feels like I'm ending a sinus infection - yay, post nasal drip!

My first run in weeks was a 10K trail run on Saturday. I was still congested, blocked ears, post nasal drip going on, etc. I typically LOVE trail running, but this was awful. I considered dropping out several times. Not only was I not feeling well and was trying to run for the first time in a few weeks, but it was super muggy and about 75 F. It had been so cool and rainy here when I had been running, I did not have the opportunity to run in any significantly warm weather, yet, so that was another strike against me. I literally walked about 5 of the 6ish miles, it wasn't even my quickly-paced walking break walk that I sometimes do during races, it was all out stroll. I was well hydrated going into the race, but with the profuse sweating and excess snot production, I dehydrated super quickly. I never even considered bringing my hydration belt with me since it was only a 10K and I knew there were a couple water stops. I was so weak by mile 4, and by the end, I seriously though I was experiencing some sort of heat stroke - I couldn't stop shaking. I was a bit scared for a while. What got me through the last two miles was continuous thoughts about the wonderful Gatorade and orange and water I was going to have at the end. By the time I crossed the finish line, however, they had run out of both Gatorade and oranges. I was left with water and pizza.

Somehow, I didn't finish last, but my time was incredibly embarrassing. Despite barely even running, my legs currently hate me.

The good news, however, is that I have no races for two months. I plan on taking it easy for the next few weeks, and I will start training for my September half during the last week of the month. I believe I'm going to put a great deal of focus on cross-training this summer. It is something I used to put a pretty significant focus on, but something I got almost completely away from over the past year.

06/04 6.11 mi – Wissahickon Trail Classic
    TOTAL 6.11 mi
    GOAL: 45.00 mi

Upcoming Races:
    08/06 – Foreman Foundation Chocolate Tour 10K
    09/18 – Rock 'n' Roll Philadelphia Half Marathon
    10/09 – 5,000 Yards Dash
  • karllundy
    karllundy Posts: 1,490 Member
    Options
    6/1 - 5.11 miles on National / Global Running Day! Woot!
    6/2 - 4.55 miles. Gorgeous morning!
    6/3 - Pre-HM rest day. Too bad, it is a beautiful morning! So, I am drinking extra water and I ate donuts!
    6/4 - 13.3 miles at Dam to Dam Half. It was sunny and hot. Sun was brutal. Running was pretty good, but my splits went up gradually over the final 4 miles. Atmosphere was good pre and post-race. Had fun!
    6/5 - Rest day + lots of kids' sports.
    6/6 - 4.01 mile "recovery" run. I am not good at intentionally keeping my pace slow. I intended 9-9.5 minute miles.

{img}http://tickers.TickerFactory.com/ezt/t/wIGKwZY/exercise.png{/img}
  • DrewMarcy13
    DrewMarcy13 Posts: 5,819 Member
    Options

exercise.png

Ran at approximately 8:15/mi pace.
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    June
    1-nothing
    2-hope to get something in tonight. yoga/circus girls+pedicure night=hangover
    3-nothing-last minute errands. essentially sped walked for 3 hours
    4-same but all day because, you know, i got married
    5-family reunion
    6-slept off the weekend

exercise.png

RACES:
    Jan 16-Frosty 5k-33:43:123 (gun time-don't have chip time)
    Feb 13-Steve Cullen Run 8k chip time: 53:37
    Feb 15 Puppy Love Virtual Run 10k runkeeper time: 1:13:20
    Mar 12-Great Pi Run 5k 32:17
    May 7-Door County Half Marathon 2:51:11
    May 28-29-Global 5k Run Virtual 40:08
    May 28-Top Gun Run 5k Virtual 41:46
    June 11-Rock n Sole 1/4 Marathon?
    June 19th through Sunday, July 10th SHE Power Virtual Half (got my gear-good stuff)
    July 20-Cream Puff 5k?
    July 30-National Watermelon Day 5k?