June 7- 1 mi walk
    June 8- 3 mi run
    June 9- 1 mi walk
    June 10- 1 mi walk
    June 11- 3 mi run (race day!)
    June 12- REST
    June 13- 3 mi run, 1 mi walk,
    June 14- 2 mi walk
    June 15- 2.5 mi run/walk (in the HEAT :persevere: )

Inspired by the bit about running in summer humidity, I tried to do my c25k jog at work today during lunch (around 11:30 pm about 90 degrees and 70% humidity) and no thank you ma'am! Not happening in Texas, I will stick to early morning/evening runs and stay inside on the treadmill if it is lunchtime.

[/url]

I'm in Oklahoma. It's hard to get use to! I have to run where there's a creek to jump in. So hot! You do get more heat tolerant. I figure as long as my pace is more than usual, +6 minutes (9+6=15miles/minute), I'm good. Way slow. Then I'm stoked when it's 13. Never mind the pace in the heat. :sweat:

I went to a week of fire school training a few years back in Texas in July. Ugh* They told us it takes 3 days to acclimate. No one died, a few of the guys barfed. I'm sure that because they were out drinking the nights before. It did seem by day 3 the heat in bunker gear wasn't an issue. Although, I had discovered the value of Gatorade with red bull.

Lots of water!
  • katharmonic
    katharmonic Posts: 5,720 Member
    Options
    Did a trail run today in search of a shadier place to run. It was a decent trail along a lakeside, with lots of rolling hills and one pretty long uphill. Not a bad run but the heat and humidity, and the somewhat washed out areas made it a challenge. 4.14 miles completed today.

exercise.png
  • DayLi77
    DayLi77 Posts: 655 Member
    Options
    [Look what I had for desert after lunch today o:)
    Now that's just cruel :wink:

@Elise4270 Good idea re: the injury thread. And fire school training in Texas in July sounds like a Dantesque circle of hell to me! I grew up in El Paso, TX. I vividly remember spring break track practice: hours of running in the sun in the middle of the day...so much barfing and gatorade...and this was like April, not July. Are you a firefighter?

@MNLittleFinn "Good excuse to finally get some trail shoes?" Of course! Sounds like an excellent reason to me.

@RespectTheKitty I'm so sorry you have been struggling with depression in addition to the knee pain. I'm very familiar with both. From one depression sufferer to another: I know it's the last thing you want to do when you have zero energy, but the more you can get yourself out to walk the better you will feel. If you can just force yourself out the door the cardio exercise can be sooo helpful for your mood. Either way, hang in there!

• greenolivetree
    greenolivetree Posts: 1,282 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    It's currently 91 with a heat index of 103 :angry: I feel like hydrating is a full time job right now. LOL

Great job @katharmonic and @5BeautifulDays and @DrewMarcy13

@sweetdianachka I'd definitely skip the lunch time outdoor runs for summer :( Run earlier or later, seek shade, bring water and still expect to be slower than normal.

• skippygirlsmom
    skippygirlsmom Posts: 4,433 Member
    Options
    Just saw this recall on Clif Bars
    http://www.fda.gov/Safety/Recalls/ucm504833.htm

• Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    Options
    It's currently 91 with a heat index of 103 :angry: I feel like hydrating is a full time job right now. LOL

It's 92 here, heat index is 104. But we're not terribly far from one another.

@cljoe7 I'm not a firefighter. I was going to do supplemental courses for a master's (didn't finish- got job) in fire fighting to complement a master's in industrial chemistry. I work at a refinery, so we have a fire brigade. I wanted to join, bit they didn't need any more girls.
  • greenolivetree
    Options
    I think I'm gonna have to stock my freezer and steal the post-run popsicle idea from @kristinegift :smile:
  • ceciliaslater
    ceciliaslater Posts: 457 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    @Elise4270 & @greenolivetree - OK, I feel like I'm getting shafted here. I live between you two and current temp is 97 degrees with a heat index of 114 (36C and 46C, to you non-US folks). Of course, I'm not trying to run in it at this point, so I guess it doesn't matter that much, but still...

@tacosticks - Wisdom tooth surgery--yuck! I hope they were nice and did all of them at once so you don't have to worry about going through that again!
  • AdrianChr92
    AdrianChr92 Posts: 567 Member
    Options
    Date.....Distance..Avg hr/Pace/km
    June 1 - 6.1 km - 156/5:47
    June 2 - 5.5 km - 154/6:00
    June 3 - 5.0 km - 153/6:12
    June 4 - 7.0 km - 184/4:25
    June 5 - 6.0 km - 143/6:27
    June 6 - rest
    June 7 - 6.0 km - 143/6:13
    June 8 - 6.8 km - 148/6:11 (Hot)
    June 9 - 5.8 km - 150/5:58
    June 10 - rest
    June 11 - 5.0 km - 184/4:26
    June 12 - 6.0 km - 149/6:05
    June 13 - rest
    June 14 - 7.6 km - 149/6:08
    June 15 - 6.0 km - 150/6:03

exercise.png

03/04: Bucharest 10k and Family run 48:28
    16/04: Color Run Bucharest
    17/04: Forest Run 5k 22:05
    04/06: Happy Run 5k 21:57
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    Options
    @Elise4270 & @greenolivetree - OK, I feel like I'm getting shafted here. I live between you two and current temp is 97 degrees with a heat index of 114 (36C and 46C, to you non-US folks). Of course, I'm not trying to run in it at this point, so I guess it doesn't matter that much, but still...

@tacosticks - Wisdom tooth surgery--yuck! I hope they were nice and did all of them at once so you don't have to worry about going through that again!

Ya, you totally got shafted on the heat! Bleh!

@tacosticks I had oral surgery and went running after 3 days, and it was cool out. It was hard. Enjoy the time off!
  • vandinem
    vandinem Posts: 550 Member
    Options
    Date      Miles      MTD
    ------    -----    ------
    June  1    5.1       5.1  
    June  2    5.6      10.7  
    June  4    5.8      16.5 
    June  5    4.2      20.7 
    June  7    4.2      24.9 
    June  9    5.1      30.0
    June 10    4.3      34.3
    June 11   13.2      47.5
    June 12    3.7      51.2
    June 15    5.6      56.8

exercise.png
  • checkthestove
    checkthestove Posts: 44 Member
    Options

exercise.png

• HonuNui
    HonuNui Posts: 1,464 Member
    Options
    June goal.....run

6/1 rest
    6/2 3.59
    6/3 dog nursing
    6/4 worked unplanned, unexpected overtime. crap.
    6/5 5.39
    6/6 dog nursing....DH was longingly looking at his weedwhacker. I spelled him to go whack off.
    6/7 5.31
    6/8 3.60
    6/9 3.12
    6/10 gave DH a nursing break
    6/11 8.32
    6/12 3.71
    6/13 3.38
    6/14 4.41 snuck out of work and ran in the rain.....so I can dognurse/give DH a break when I get home. 3 weeks till he's allowed off leash.....
    6/15 3.11

Total 44.56

Upcoming races:
    SHEPower Virtual Half: sometime in June or July......when dog needs less nursing
    Las Vegas RocknRoll Half 11/13/16Ticker is my goal for 2016 and accumulation to date:
    exercise.png

• kristinegift
    kristinegift Posts: 2,406 Member
    Options
    I think I'm gonna have to stock my freezer and steal the post-run popsicle idea from @kristinegift :smile:

It's worth it! After my hot run Sunday (not nearly as hot as some of y'all though!), I downed two popsicles back to back!
  • Mandilmommy
    Mandilmommy Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    exercise.png

I'm really proud of myself, I've really been sticking to running regularly and starting to enjoy it.
  • MobyCarp
    MobyCarp Posts: 2,927 Member
    Options
    June Running Totals (miles)
    6/1 – rest day
    6/2 – 6.11 easy
    6/3 – rest day
    6/4 – 7.21 easy with hills
    6/5 – 7.42 easy
    6/6 – rest day
    6/7 – 8.56 easy
    6/8 – rest day
    6/9 – 8.01 easy
    6/10 – rest day
    6/11 – 10.09 with hills and humidity
    6/12 – 6.21 easy with 1 stride
    6/13 – rest day
    6/14 – run squeezed out of schedule
    6/15 – rest day 7.00 group run

June total to date – 60.61

Nominal Challenge Goal – 100 miles
    Real Goals: Recover from injury to the point where running feels normal again. Stretch goal, recover to the point where I can run at race pace.

Today's notes – I lost my intended time slot for running yesterday, ironically enough, to organizational meetings talking about running. First there was a meeting for pace leaders for the training session starting tomorrow, then there was an informational meeting for potential trainees that I hung around for. I compensated for that loss by running on the scheduled rest day today.

I went to the group run with the other running store in town. I've been to enough of these to know how it will go; the group I go with with start out slower than my easy pace, and gradually accelerate. There are a group of runners I have to let go, because they won't stay slow enough for me. The folks I need to stay with will end up maybe just a tad faster than my easy range, but only for the last mile or two. I figured this would be a decent test of the recovering leg.

The weather feed tells me it was 79° F (26° C) when we started. It felt totally normal for the first two miles, before the familiar dull ache in the hip abductor started up. They took me on a route I hadn't run before, featuring a nice mix of roads, asphalt trail, wooded trail, and grass trail. The fast guys did their thing, and the guy I usually hang with offered an extra two mile detour late in the run. By then, I was ready to go back the short way, and I knew my way back; so the last couple of miles were solo. Hit 6.8 miles not long before getting back to the store, so it was an OCD trip around the parking lot to come out to 7 miles even. Because I dropped the leader early, I didn't spend much time faster than an easy pace. There were a couple of steep downhill spots that reminded me my leg isn't totally healthy, but it really felt pretty good.

I didn't much notice the heat or humidity till I stopped running. I seem to be acclimating to summer reasonably well. The plan is to run again tomorrow, rest Friday, pace 8 miles Saturday, and then make a decision on whether to race the 5K Sunday morning. Right now, I feel like I *could* run a 5K, but it would be dumb to push for a really good time. On the plus side, it's a pretty flat route for that particular 5K.

2016 races:
    January 1, 2016 Resolution Run 7.5 mile (Mendon, NY) finished in 53:58
    January 9, 2016 Winter Warrior Half Marathon (Gates, NY) finished in 1:30:59
    March 12, 2016 Johnny's Runnin' of the Green 5 mile (Rochester, NY) finished in 32:32
    March 26, 2016 Spring Forward Distance Run 15K (Mendon, NY) finished in 1:05:24
    April 18, 2016 Boston Marathon (Hopkinton, MA) finished in 3:23:01
    April 24, 2016 Flower City Challenge Half Marathon (Rochester, NY) finished in 1:36:50, targeting MP
    May 15, 2016 Highland Hospital Lilac Run 10K (Rochester, NY) DNS - injury
    June 19, 2016 Medved 5K to Cure ALS (Rochester, NY)
    July 16, 2016 Shoreline Half Marathon (Hamlin, NY)
    September 18, 2016 Rochester Marathon (Rochester, NY)
    November 24, 2016 Race with Grace 10K (Hilton, NY)
  • MobyCarp
    MobyCarp Posts: 2,927 Member
    Options

It's worth it! After my hot run Sunday (not nearly as hot as some of y'all though!), I downed two popsicles back to back!

I can't bring myself to buy popsicles, but now I'm considering deliberately buying too many bananas to freeze the excess when they get ripe. Frozen bananas taste like popsicles, but have fiber and potassium in addition to the sugar.
  • 9voice9
    9voice9 Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    Stoshew71 wrote: »
    But what is happening is your body is now forced...
    Also, because your body cools itself from sweat...
    These are some of the things that go through my mind when I run in the heat. Yes, running in the summer sucks. But I do not suck. I am getting stronger and faster despite what my watch says.

I hope this helps some of you.
    Indeed it does. I might just go ahead and suck it up to run in the muggy again tomorrow, even though today sucked. Not massively, just a regular...suck.
  • greenolivetree
    Options
    MobyCarp wrote: »

I can't bring myself to buy popsicles, but now I'm considering deliberately buying too many bananas to freeze the excess when they get ripe. Frozen bananas taste like popsicles, but have fiber and potassium in addition to the sugar.

Frozen bananas are yum!