June (2016) Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• kristinegift
    kristinegift Posts: 2,406 Member
    Options
    @louubelle16 I think they're just waiting for it to move on. It hasn't attacked anyone, just ate up some deer and wandered near some yards. He/she seems pretty docile for now.

@MNLittleFinn While we have no cougars or wolves, apparently there is a documented (and captured) rabid fox in the township next door, so we also have to be careful not to come too close to any foxes for a while in case any others are rabid. Nature is scary!
  • MNLittleFinn
    MNLittleFinn Posts: 4,271 Member
    Options
    @louubelle16 I think they're just waiting for it to move on. It hasn't attacked anyone, just ate up some deer and wandered near some yards. He/she seems pretty docile for now.

@MNLittleFinn While we have no cougars or wolves, apparently there is a documented (and captured) rabid fox in the township next door, so we also have to be careful not to come too close to any foxes for a while in case any others are rabid. Nature is scary!

for some reason that made me laugh. though a rabid fox is definitely more of a threat than pretty much any black bear. I live in a town that's surrounded by a national forest....I have to run in nature if I want to get any decent mileage in.
  • DrLauraDVM16
    DrLauraDVM16 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    The sun came up behind a thick layer of smoke this morning, which had me dreading my long run. Surprisingly, though, the "clouds" actually kept things cooler than usual, and there was a really refreshing light breeze that kept kicking up every time I needed it. For the second week in a row, I was really surprised by how good I felt at the end of 10 miles.

Starting to feel like I'm really earning that "runner" title, even if my "run" is more of a slow shuffle. I'm thrilled when my pace is under 11min/mile, and perfectly satisfied with a 12 minute mile on my long runs. I'm completely in awe of some of you guys!

exercise.png

• MNLittleFinn
    Options
    @greenolivetree great picture! Sorry to hear/read that the run itself wasn't so great!
  • DrLauraDVM16
    DrLauraDVM16 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    @greenolivetree Beautiful, and thanks!

@kimlight2 Some people are such *squirrel*bags. Glad you're okay!

@CarmenChaban We all have to start somewhere. I started and finished C25K a year ago, in the hopes that I could handle the impact of running ONE MILE after a bad leg injury a few years ago. In May, I finished a half marathon without walking (except through the water stations, cuz I don't enjoy choking!). You're awesome just for starting!
  • 1TheQueenB
    1TheQueenB Posts: 377 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    Forgot I took this pic this morning. It was a beautiful morning despite the humidity and my run being so not fun.

fgm1oz68m8nq.jpg

@CarmenChaban Great job getting started running!

@kimlight2 Ugh! Could've been the scare that brought on the asthma attack. Emotional distress can do it. Laughter and crying both trigger my asthma.

@DrLauraDVM16 You are so a runner! No doubt about it.

Nice picture!!!!
    I ran the treadmill today after a strength training class at the gym, body pump. I got through it, YAY! I'm beat!
  • DayLi77
    DayLi77 Posts: 655 Member
    Options
    6/4 -- 1.71miles -- jog/ walk with Pandora the puppy
    6/5-- rest
    6/6-- 1.5 miles -- jog/ walk on the treadmill (asthma flared up - suck)
    6/7--rest--sick with a cold
    6/8--1.71 miles--jog/ walk with Pan (mostly jogging -yay! a bit wheezy but managed to keep going through it)
    6/9--weights & elliptical
    6/10--2 miles--jog/ walk on treadmill
    6/11--rest day/ dog walking (not counting miles)
    6/13--2 miles--jog/ walk on treadmill
    6/15--1.71 miles--jog/walk with Pan (mostly jogging; very hot & humid at 7pm)
    6/16--1.5 miles--jog/ walk with Pan (mostly jogging; much cooler this evening; knees hurt a bit tho)
    6/17--2.25 miles--RUN/ walk on treadmill
    6/18--resting the knees

Goal: 20 miles
    Total: 14.38 miles done, 5.62 miles to go
  • MNLittleFinn
    Options
    @cljoe7 good choice resting the knees....I need to remember to do that more often.
  • MobyCarp
    MobyCarp Posts: 2,927 Member
    Options
    June Running Totals (miles)
    6/1 – rest day
    6/2 – 6.11 easy
    6/3 – rest day
    6/4 – 7.21 easy with hills
    6/5 – 7.42 easy
    6/6 – rest day
    6/7 – 8.56 easy
    6/8 – rest day
    6/9 – 8.01 easy
    6/10 – rest day
    6/11 – 10.09 with hills and humidity
    6/12 – 6.21 easy with 1 stride
    6/13 – rest day
    6/14 – run squeezed out of schedule
    6/15 – rest day 7.00 group run
    6/16 – 4.02 in 3 pieces
    6/17 – rest day
    6/18 – 4.83 aborted pace run

June total to date – 69.46

Nominal Challenge Goal – 100 miles
    Real Goals: Recover from injury to the point where running feels normal again. Stretch goal, recover to the point where I can run at race pace.

Today's notes – First paced run of the training session. We got weather temp in the low 60s at 7 AM, headed higher later but that didn't matter. The assignment was to pace 5 miles (half marathon trainees) + 3 miles for 8 (marathon trainees). I was thinking I'd see how I felt and maybe add 4 more miles after that, since I've been low on mileage this week.

The first part went great. Had a decent sized group, with two regulars from previous sessions, one new person in full marathon training, myself, the other 8:30 pace leader, and an 8:00 pace leader dropping back because she didn't have anyone needing the 8:00 pace. Had some nice conversation on the 5 mile loop, and expected we'd all do 8 except the other pace leader, since he was tapering toward a half iron tri tomorrow.

Then just before we finished the first 5 mile loop, I got into a disagreement with the uneven sidewalk. I was lost in running theory, but the sidewalk had some concrete arguments:

bi59qgnf03it.jpg

Looking at the picture, it seems I may have been channeling @PoppetsMaster.

That was it for my running today. Things looked ugly for a while, but after everything got cleaned up I was left with only a bruise on my right shoulder affecting some of my arm motion, a lot of surface nuisance from road rash, and bent up frames on my glasses. The Garmin, the phone, and the lenses of my glasses were undamaged. Got the frames adjusted at Lenscrafters, picked up my packet for the 5K tomorrow, and took a long nap this afternoon.

There's nothing like a good case of road rash to take my attention away from a recovering right hip abductor.

In hindsight, most of the run felt perfectly normal and routine. My current thinking is to set my alarm for the race tomorrow morning, and see how I feel when it goes off. If I feel like I need more sleep, roll over and suck up more sleep before doing a slow run later in the day. If I feel great, go run the 5K with the expectation that it will not be a terribly fast 5K, but will be faster than a normal training run.

2016 races:
    January 1, 2016 Resolution Run 7.5 mile (Mendon, NY) finished in 53:58
    January 9, 2016 Winter Warrior Half Marathon (Gates, NY) finished in 1:30:59
    March 12, 2016 Johnny's Runnin' of the Green 5 mile (Rochester, NY) finished in 32:32
    March 26, 2016 Spring Forward Distance Run 15K (Mendon, NY) finished in 1:05:24
    April 18, 2016 Boston Marathon (Hopkinton, MA) finished in 3:23:01
    April 24, 2016 Flower City Challenge Half Marathon (Rochester, NY) finished in 1:36:50, targeting MP
    May 15, 2016 Highland Hospital Lilac Run 10K (Rochester, NY) DNS - injury
    June 19, 2016 Medved 5K to Cure ALS (Rochester, NY)
    July 16, 2016 Shoreline Half Marathon (Hamlin, NY)
    September 18, 2016 Rochester Marathon (Rochester, NY)
    November 24, 2016 Race with Grace 10K (Hilton, NY)
  • Stoshew71
    Stoshew71 Posts: 6,553 Member
    Options
    Date Miles today. Miles for June
    6/1 5 miles - 5 << Another recovery run.
    6/2 6.5 miles - 11.5
    6/3 REST DAY (unplanned but necessary)
    6/4 13.5 miles - 25
    6/5 REST DAY
    6/6 8 miles 33
    6/6 4 miles 37 << Daily Double
    6/7 9 miles 46
    6/7 5 miles 51 << Daily Double
    6/8 6.2 miles 57.2
    6/9 9 miles 66.2
    6/10 6.2 miles 72.4
    6/11 18 miles 90.4
    6/12 REST DAY
    6/13 9 miles 99.4
    6/13 4 miles 103.4 << Daily Double
    6/14 9 miles 112.4
    6/14 4 miles 116.4 << Daily Double
    6/15 6.2 miles 122.6
    6/16 9 miles 131.6
    6/16 5 miles 136.6 << Daily Double FF Pub Run at Yellowhammer
    6/17 6.2 miles 142.8
    6/18 18 miles 160.8

exercise.png

Upcoming races:
    UAH 8K - 3/6 <<< 34:33 3 in AG
    Oak Barrel HM - 4/2 <<<< 1:38:00 3 in AG
    Bridge Street HM - 4/10 <<< 1:36:33 3 in AG
    PEO-AVN Team Day 5K - 5/4 <<< 19:10 (2.9 mi) 1 in AG 5 OA
    Cotton Row Run 10K - 5/30 << 44:57 PR
    Firecracker Chase 10.2 miler 6/25
    Rocket City Marathon - 12/10

18 mile long run earlier today, and 70.7 mile week. One week till my next race.

• kimlight2
    kimlight2 Posts: 483 Member
    Options
    @MobyCarp - Glad you were hurt worse and your glasses were easily repaired.

@DrLauraDVM16 -Thank you. I was comparing running notes with a friend and we discussing how the old people are more dangerous than the teenagers around us.

@greenolivetree - Thank you. Didn't think about the stress bringing on the attack. Love the picture!

@CarmenChaban - Congrats on finishing week 1. Keep it up and you will be surprised how fast the miles add up.

@shanaber - Congrats to you daughter. What a great achievement.

@kristinegift - I would be on the treadmill until they relocated the bear.
  • CarmenChaban
    CarmenChaban Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Thank you all for the congrats and extra motivation. I'm excited to see how next week goes, this week was not near as bad as I thought it would be.
  • greenolivetree
    greenolivetree Posts: 1,282 Member
    Options
    @mobycarp Rough break!
  • JessicaMcB
    JessicaMcB Posts: 1,503 Member
    Options
    Only got a mile and half in today but after how mental our kids were at the lake, I'll take that I ran at all lol

exercise.png